Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linkef0 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 08:07 PM
    ATI Video Cards
    I owned a ati radeon hd 3870 I was looking at the new 4870 that just came out should I buy that one for better graphics on video games or wait until my video card is old and I need to buy another one. Is 4870 is a very big difference or a litte if its big I might buy it.

My Computer

CPU - Quad Core 45nm, 2.83GH, 12MB Cach (Q9550)
    RAM - DDR3 2 GB ram soon will get another 2 more GB, its has 1600mhz
    HARD DRIVE - 2 of them one is 350GB and the other is 150GB
    VIDEO CARD - YOU KNOW
    MOTHERBOARD - Asus P5E3 Deluxe Motherboard
    I also have a BLURAY BURNER

So should I get it or not
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 6, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Hello Linkef0

It all depends on what type of video games you play. If they demand lots of memory and processor capacity, yes than such an upgrade would assist you - though expensive.
    Another restriction is if you play games from your hard drive / CD or DVD drive (fast), or over the Internet (slow).
    But for simple games or word processing / email you can use even the most simple of graphic cards.

:)
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 10:50 PM
    With the system spec you have, I would get the "newer" one as your already upgrading your system and it can't hurt to get "better"
    Linkef0 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 11:03 PM
    I play crysis, half life 2, brothers in arms and the sims 2 can't wait for 3, I have high speed internet, bell sympatico dsl.

Credendovidis
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 02:17 PM
    My upgrade strategy is this: I get a new video card with each motherboard/processor upgrade (3-4 year life) and then possibly another video card upgrade sometime during that timeframe (~every 2 years) when/if I get a game that doesn't run so well on the previous card. Delaying computer device purchases for as long as possible always results in more bang for the same buck. Mixing and matching really old and really new can be problematic too. Also, I really can't tell the difference between 120 FPS and 30-60 FPS, so the same game on a new card doesn't always necessarily improve the experience unless it enables increased texture and lighting settings previously unable to be utilized at a playable frame rate. Either way, both cards will end up in the trash/recycled in a few years. How much money is allowed to go with them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of getting an ace from 50 cards if 2 cards are randomly removed from 52 [ 6 Answers ]

From a pack of 52 cards 2 cards are randomly removed. Then what is the probability of getting an ace from remaining 50 cards?

Video cards/chips [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I have just got the game "crysys" (may explain my name:) ) anyway when I instaled it I got this error when trying to play it: Unsupported video card! "sis 760" continuing to run might lead to unexpected results or crashes. This means nothing to me so I thought I would just buy a new...

Comparable Video Cards [ 1 Answers ]

What are some video cards with similar or even better performance to my Nvidia ti4400 that has just died on me?

Do video cards wear out? [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a GeForce FX5200 card about a year ago for gaming. I had to stick with PCI due to my motherboard and heard this card was good. Initially I got about 35+ FPS with medium visual quality settings. Now I get about 12 FPS at the lowest settings. What could be the cause of this? Should I buy a...

Graphic Video Cards [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MDG Pentium4 Vision 4000 tv/computer. It has 512 ram and a 160g hard drive. I have tried to play PC games such as, Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings and could not install them on my system. I cannot afford an expensive graphics card, but I want a card that will at least play all the...

View more questions Search