Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barzabean Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Garage door opener not working correctly
    I have a Sears garage door opener, model 139.53641SRT, several years old. A couple of days ago, it stopped responding to all input - then it started again, and has stopped again. When either the remote switch or the hardwired switch is operated, the receiving relay in the opener can be heard actuating, and the illumination lights come on. I have cleaned and adjusted the sensors to insure I have a good light stream going into the receiving module - solid & bright green indicator light, NO flickering. I have operated the lock button a few times, to make sure the unit is not locked (LED is on, not flashing). I have pushed the learn button on the motor unit, to no effect. Here's a clue: the indicator LED on the motor unit is flashing - five pulses, then a pause. I suppose if I could find my operator manual, that would help me interpret this, but I can't locate the manual. Any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 04:58 AM
    You probably screwed up your pin when you pressed the lear button, is's now expecting you to enter a new code.
    Attached Images

Sep 8, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by barzabean
    I have a Sears garage door opener, model 139.53641SRT, several years old. A couple of days ago, it stopped responding to all input - then it started again, and has stopped again. When either the remote switch or the hardwired switch is operated, the receiving relay in the opener can be heard actuating, and the illumination lights come on. I have cleaned and adjusted the sensors to insure I have a good light stream going into the receiving module - solid & bright green indicator light, NO flickering. I have operated the lock button a few times, to make sure the unit is not locked (LED is on, not flashing). I have pushed the learn button on the motor unit, to no effect. Here's a clue: the indicator LED on the motor unit is flashing - five pulses, then a pause. I suppose if I could find my operator manual, that would help me interpret this, but I can't locate the manual. Any ideas?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - I just wish this had worked. More information: my opener has no keypad, so there is no PIN to mess up on it. Also, it is older than the one shown in your response. And what I called the learn button is called a 'receiver code' button on the unit - my mistake. I get the two clicks when I push any of the operate button, regardless of whether I use the wall control or a remote, and the illumination lights come on - but that's all. Except for the 5 flashes of the LED beside the receiver code button I described before, that is.

Sep 9, 2008, 06:30 AM
    So the door will not operate from the wall switch. Do you mean that it will not go up , will not go down, or will not do either?

Sep 9, 2008, 04:46 PM
    It won't do either. The lights come on, the relay clicks, and I get frustrated.

Sep 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Is the motor running? Even though nothing is moving

Sep 10, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Nothing from the motor. It seems as if the receiver electricals aren't talking to the motor at all. I have tried tugging the door moderately hard while pushing the operate button on a remote, and I'm pretty sure that the motor is just not getting switched on. I'm starting to think I've got a switch that's burned out; but does that mean I need a new switch, a new board, or an entire new opener? I just don't know.

Sep 10, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Circuit boad probably shot, if so not worth repairing. Take motor cover off and look around. If you don't see anything obvious, replace closer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 11:37 AM
    I tend to agree that the board could be shot. Most openers have a solenoid on the board that makes the eletrical connection to the motor and that can be the source of failure too. Sometimes it isn't worth spending hours and hours trying to repair an item that can be replaced with anewer, safer model for about $175

Sep 10, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Ok - thanks very much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage Door Opener Quit Working? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought I was old enough to have seen it all, wrong!! The wife and I got home last night, pulled into the driveway, pushed the remote to open the garage door and nothing happened! Multiple attempts continued to fail. I replaced the batteries in the remote, green light lights up with each...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search