Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melomelisa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
    How to determine year of a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine
    I have had an old sewing machine in my possession for many, many years. It is a Montgomery Ward, Model Number E24 NS-102A. Does anyone know the year made? It is in a small wooden storage table (lifts up and out). The table is in poor condition. The sewing machine still works. I am sure it is missing a lot of accessories/pieces. I am wondering if worth enough to sell or if I'll even be able to give it away! Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 01:09 AM
    Do you know the serial number for it? Is it an electric or a treadle machine, please?

Everything that is posted below, is a quote from another thread where someone asked about the dating of a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine.

It might be that it would not be possible to give an exact year of manufacture for your particular machine. Manufacturing companies have come and gone through the years. Sometimes the records that are kept with a particular company are lost or just not looked at as being of any value. Also, perhaps there might have been a fire in a building that would have destroyed all of the records. If you could provide a picture, then it might be possible to give you a general idea about certain years that machines that looked like yours were manufactured.

It seems that sewing machines that were sold by Montgomery Ward were manufactured for them by National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, IL. Even if the Montgomery Ward name is on the machine, it is most likely manufactured by someone else. Retailers, like Montgomery ward, usually do buy anything that they sell from a variety of manufacturers. Even grocery stores might put something on the shelves with their name on it, but it might be an entirely different company that manufactures the food item.

If your sewing machine looks anything like the one on the following site, it is truly a work of art. The mention of them being made for Montgomery Ward is also on the site.

The Non-Electric Sewing Machine, People Powered Sewing Machines, Not Just for the Amish

There is some interesting history about the National Sewing Machine Company.

The quote below is from the following site: American Sewing Machines

Governor A: Serial No. 2263543.
    This machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company of Belvidere, Illinois which was formed in 1890 by the merger of the Eldredge Sewing Machine Company (est.1869) and the June Manufacturing Company (est. 1881). The firm appears to have specialized in producing badged machines for retailers. In 1953 it merged with Free Sewing Machine Co. but was unable to compete with imported models and the National Sewing Machine Company closed in 1957.
    Here is something else very interesting from the following site: Frequently Asked Questions On this site is an incredible wealth of information. It is worth checking out.

Who made my sewing machine?
    I heard about machines being "badged", what does this mean?

In the 1890 to 1940 period there was a fad with large retailers and mail order houses to sell "own brand" sewing machines.

To do this they entered into contracts with established sewing machine manufacturers who would supply standard models but with the name of choice substituted for the normal brand name.

ISMACS has records of nearly 5000 such "exclusive" names produced by half a dozen makers during this period.

The situation is further confused in that retailers might switch makers at the end of a contract period and the same name would then appear on a completely different machine by another manufacturer.

Shortly after WW2 the new Japanese sewing machine industry, funded by US aid, flooded machines into America and Europe.

Distributors in those countries gave them various western-sounding names to help sales.

In the period between 1890 and 1930 many German companies produced machines with no reference to their origin. This was because of a general mistrust of German engineering and, of course, poor public relations following WW1.

Their machines were distributed with non-Teutonic-sounding names.
    What you find on the following is also from the same site above. National Sewing Machine Company It is also worth checking out.

Sep 7, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Thanks Clough! I did find a serial number right on the top metal plate by the needle: 8486750 (the first number could be a 3; it was rubbed off a bit). It is an electric sewing machine (motor still works), although the cord is taped together (electrical tape) in two different spots. I'll try attaching pictures!
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 04:02 AM
    You did a great job of posting the images, melomelisa! Thanks!

What I'm seeing as far as the case is concerned, is something that probably needs to be refinished. Although, what I call a "rejuvenation finishing" might work on it.

Thanks for posting the serial number that you found on it. I'll see what I can find out about that unless someone else beats me to it!

Yes, it's worth something. But, you would have to find just the right buyer for it.

If you are really wanting to sell it and fix it up, I can show you how to fix it up for not very much money and also how to advertise it so that the advertising won't cost you a cent.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Thanks again Clough! Your information is GREAT!

I would be interested in "rejuvinating" my sewing machine. Any info would be much appreciated. The table is in need of MUCH attention! There was some water damage on the top and there is a lot of scratching on the legs (from a cat!). But, I think with some TLC, it can be beautiful! I'm willing to put the time and work in!

Thanks again. I'll be anxious to see if you can find anything out about the serial number...

Regards,
    Melisa
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 02:05 AM
    Hi, melomelisa!

In order to proceed with recommending how you proceed with rejuvenating the finish, it would be helpful to know if you have a palm sander or not.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Hello - My husband has informed me that we DO have a palm sander! Thanks Again Clough!
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 02:51 AM
    That's great that you do have a palm sander, melomelisa! I'm going to be house and dog-sitting over the weekend, so I will be moving my computer over to that home for the weekend. I will be back on here on Friday in the very late evening after I have basically moved into the home.

Is that a piece of veneer that I see missing on the upper right side of the lower picture? Or, is it a patch or something else, please?

If that's a patch of veneer missing, then that's the first thing that we are going to have to fix.

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Hi Clough -

Yes - That is a piece of missing veneer. You can see the missing piece better in the upper picture, right-middle.

Thanks again!
    M-
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 12:12 AM
    Do you know what kind of veneer is on the outside of the machine? According to what I'm seeing, it would appear to be birch or pine.

What do you think, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Montgomery Ward sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Montgomery Ward sewing machine head and I'm trying to learn more about it... the year, the value, etc. The label on the machine says "Precision built for Montgomery Ward Made in Japan." Model # UR 185 B Serial # 55X Volts 110-120 Cycles 25-60 Thanks for any information you can...

Vintage Montgomery Ward sewing machine [ 4 Answers ]

I have a vintage Montgomery Ward, Model E, sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. I was wondering if anyone can help me find a date, or any other information on it. I do not have any paperwork or accessories to it. Here is a link to some pictures: Picasa Web Albums - Vicky - Vintage...

Trying to find the year made for a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine as well. My model number is very clear. It is M84NS4598A. I am trying to find out what year it was made. It was given to me by my mother-n-law. Anyone know how to find out what year it is was made?

How old is my Montgomery Ward electric sewing machine? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... This is my first post. :) I found this website while searching the internet to find out how old my sewing machine is (mostly to convince my husband that I need a new one) but also because I'm curious... I inherited this machine from my grandmother back when I was in high school. It is a...

Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine and need a manual. It was recently given to me by a friend who had had the machine for years without using it and didn't know where the manual might be. It was made in Japan and I cannot find a model # or anything on it except the name, address and phone...

View more questions Search