Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iquestion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Bryant "dirty sneaker smell"
    I have a 2 year old Bryant heat pump (air & heat) which gives off a bad smell esp during damp weather, when heating and cooling. This has happened from day one and I wrote Bryant asking for help. They of course passed me off to the dealer who made 2-3 calls attempting to fix problem. The last visit was to spray the unit with a chemical. The tech told me this happens in about 1 of 30 or so installations and Bryant does not know the reason. They call it the "dirty sneaker syndrome" and that just about describes it.

After spending 3-4 hours on the unit and charging me $300 plus dollars, the smell is still there during rainy or damp weather. Any suggestions other than getting a lawyer? Thanks.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 03:03 PM
    You should have started complaining on day 1,, when time goes by, it makes it much harder,, don`t forget how the installer and h/p company treated you down the road when it is time for another replace. Not knowing your set up its hard to help,, where is the return pulling most of its air from? Unless it pulls some fresh air in from the outside,it is recycling the air from inside the house,, inspect the return from start to finish,could it be pulling in some air from the muskie basement,or from under the house(maybe a crawl space),, maybe a drain going through the floor,,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Is this the new style R-410 refrigerant unit? Or the old style R-22 unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant AC blower fan motor "quick" cycling [ 11 Answers ]

While running in AC mode or fan ON mode the blower fan keeps cycling on/off contiuously for on off periods from less than a second to several minutes. I figured the motor was overheated (bad windings) so I replaced the motor and capacitor with poor results. It seems to run longer but contiues to...

Bryant furnace: thermostat showing "AC", house cold, fixed (for now.) [ 1 Answers ]

System: Bryant 333BAV 80 plus furnace, 10 yrs old, with Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat. No problems with either in the past. Minnesota. January. Upon waking up this morning, found the house was 58 degrees, with set point at 68. Checking the thermostat, found it was showing "AC" (power...

Who sings the song "brown liquor in a dirty glass"? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song "BROWN LIQUOR IN A DIRTY GLASS" ?

View more questions Search