Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny2kylie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Cashing in my 401K
    I am in credit card debt right now and would like to cash in an old 401K I have with a former employer. I understand I have about 12K in the account and could really use this money to get myself out of debt and close my credit cards. I know there are stiff penalties, but how can I make sure the penalties are taken out when I cash it in, prior to getting hit again when I file my tax returns in January?
    JustMarried614 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Sep 6, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I don't know if you can do that. I actually cashed in a 401k last year and they took quite a bit out for taxes but I still got hit when I filed my taxes this year. It was only $1800 in my 401k when I cashed it but the company I worked for was sold and I didn't want to roll it over into the new company. I think I only had about $100 penalty - give or take at tax time though. Of course since you have 12K it will be higher. Could you just set some of it aside so when you go to do your taxes you have money in case you have to pay in?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 07:58 AM
    You'd be better off doing a loan from the 401(k) for the needed amount. That will give you 5 years to pay it back at a 5% interest rate. If you just take the money now, you are looking at $4800 in taxes and penalties. And, of course, that 12K is considered as income to you, so you may need to find out if it bumps you up into a new tax bracket.

If you decide to do this, make sure that the amount deducted is at least $4800, and I would probably put aside another 1,200, just in case there are additional amounts you need to pay at tax time.

And just so that you are aware of the long-term consequences, this handy calculator RolloverSystems: Take control of your financial future. Roll over your 401(k) to an IRA. will show you the potential earnings you will give up for the short term money. If you are young, you may be giving up nearly $100K to get that 6K. Just something to think about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out a 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know the specific process on how to cash out my 401K from my old place of employement. I haven't worked there for 10 years. Who do I need to talk to? What forms do I need to fill out? I just need to know the right steps. I realize I will endure penalties, but it doesn't...

Cashing out a 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I am a 38 year old married mother of three who lives in virginia-this info is purely for information purposes. I am leaving my job and need to figure out what to do with my small 401K. I have a loan that was taken out for part of a deposit on our house. My situation is this: I...

Cashing out a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I know the ramifications of cashing out a 401K early, can be costly. However, I don't know what other options I have at this point. Here is my scenario, please feel free to offer any helpful advice. I just recently quit my job, and have roughly $27,000 in my 401K (after a loan is subtracted). ...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

View more questions Search