Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortcake1988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 05:57 AM
    1 Light Switch controls 2 lights-Want Separate swiches for each light.
    I have a light switch that controls both the foyer and the front porch. I would like to separate this so that I have a separate switch for the front porch and the foyer as sometimes I would like to have the front porch light on without the beaming bright light in the foyer. The light switch has an electrical outlet on the same switch plate. I wanted to know if I could just change that electrical outlet so that it could solely operate either the foyer light or the porch light. Thanks!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:02 AM
    You may get lucky and separate switch legs may be in that switch box, if so 2 options come to mind, A stacked switch, or if it is a double box and a single gang mudring, you may be able to remove, install doublegang mudring to allow 2 full size switches, then add a dimmer on 1 or both lights. They do make a double dimmer in a single gang device.
    If this is done in conduit, it will be a much easier job than romex, as you may need to fish wires.
    matteosr Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Turn power off at breaker. Find what wires go to what light, break that one you don't want and just put the other switch in series with the one already there. Than you will have two separate operational switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 Honda accord no parking lights or dashboard background light + SRS Light on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I believe a problematic bulb caused a short in my car's Electrical system. The reason I say this, is that the following Problems have come up since I used the trailer... 1. SRS light is now on 2. The light that illuminates the spedometer, RPM's, and gas (background light) doesn't...

Two Lights on One Switch, Power to Light, Open Ground [ 9 Answers ]

I'm struggling with a pair of lights in a small workroom. The circuit comes in and feeds the two lights (on one switch) and three outlets from the 2nd (middle) light. I figured out that I needed to make two hot whites leading to the switch from the first light so I made both of the whites hot...

Bathroom Light and Fan connected at switch need to separate [ 3 Answers ]

All of our bathrooms have the vanity light fixture and the ceiling exhaust fan connected to one switch, so we can never just have the light or just the fan on. They are ALWAYS on together. We want to put them on sperate switches, but when we opened the face plate we found to white wires bound...

Recessed Lights: Light Switch does not work. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I just installed 2 IC recessed lighting in our kitchen. One of the hole where I attached one of the recessed lights had 2 metallic flexible cables. 1 of which had 1 white, 1 red, 1 orange, and 1 green. The other cable had 1 white, 1 red, and 1 green. The recessed fixture has 3 wires: White,...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

View more questions Search