Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matteosr Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Air Handler vs. compressor
    I had a problem with my A C and the company said it was the compressor and the air handler, The compressor was old and the air handler had a leak in the refridg. Line. It turned out to be my air handler coils were dirty and old. They replaced the compressor 10 months before my air Handler because of my financing. I told them to replace the part that needed to get it going. They replaced the compressor and said we can wait for the Air Handler at a later date. Well, it cost me an extra 5200.00 in damages. Was the compressor supposed to be replaced first? I think it stressed the already bad Air Handler.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 06:08 AM
    they replaced the compressor 10 months before my air Handler because of my financing. I told them to replace the part that needed to get it going. They replaced the compressor

It seemed like you answered your own question

If the compressor was bad and you did not have the $$$ to do a complete and correct job then they did just what you asked and got it going for you.

The unit would not have worked at all with out the new compressor so I believe they did the correct thing. They did what you asked and they could not complete the work properly since you were short $$.

Sep 6, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Thanks for the quick answer. I had asked the company to please just charge the refridg. And it wuld last me another season. I told them about financing. But that's not what I need to know. The handler was bad not the compressor, but they replaced it assuming it was the problem. The compressor held a charge but the handler had the leak.

Sep 6, 2008, 06:39 AM
    The compressor (outside condensing unit)might have helds a charge but did it run. That is the question.

Next question for you.

If you new that the air handler was bad why did you let them replace the compressor?

Could be that both units had leaks?

The situation you are in is a no win. What is done is done and you cannot change that.

Now if you have the $$$ you can contact a lawyer to take your case.

SO why was there 5,200.00 in damages? Just because they replaced the old outside unit with a new one are you trying to call that damages?

Or did they charge you 5,200.00 for a new inside unit that replaced the old one.

I see no damages here but I do see expense to replace old worn out equipment with new.

Sep 6, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    The compressor (outside condensing unit)might have helds a charge but did it run. That is the question.

Next question for you.

If you new that the air handler was bad why did you let them replace the compressor?

Could be that both units had leaks?

The situation you are in is a no win. What is done is done and you cannot change that.

Now if you have the $$$ you can contact a lawyer to take your case.

SO why was there 5,200.00 in damages? Just because they replaced the old outside unit with a new one are you trying to call that damages?

Or did they charge you 5,200.00 for a new inside unit that replaced the old one.

I see no damages here but I do see expense to replace old worn out equipment with new.
    Idid not know the compressor or handler was bad but I do thank you for informing me of the questions a judge will ask me.

Sep 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Good deal. Sorry to say but sometimes you have to go to court to get things straitened out. I wish you good luck.
    Tamonec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 09:42 AM
    My upstairs unit is blowing hot air. I called the A/C people and they came out he hooked up and showed me the pressure was at 20 not sure what it means he just said I don't mean to be the bearer of bad new but your system is shot. It's 12 years old and I have never had it repaired only have it check by a professional each year before I switch it A/C. He said it would be around 1500.00 or more to find the leak and fix it and not sure how long it would last and no guarantees on it would last. He suggested I get a new system. So now I have to get both the heat pump and the air handler in the attic. I wonder if I need both or just a new heat pump?

Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamonec View Post
    My upstairs unit is blowing hot air. I called the A/C people and they came out he hooked up and showed me the pressure was at 20 not sure what it means he just said I dont mean to be the bearer of bad new but your system is shot. It's 12 years old and I have never had it repaired only have it check by a professional each year before I switch it A/C. He said it would be around 1500.00 or more to find the leak and fix it and not sure how long it would last and no guarantees on it would last. He suggested I get a new system. So now I have to get both the heat pump and the air handler in the attic. I wonder if I need both or just a new heat pump?
    I would not spend 1500.00 on a 12 year old system!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air cond air handler doesn't come on but compressor does. [ 98 Answers ]

If I don't turn the central air on in the morning, when the attic is cooler, the air handler won't come on but the compressor outside fires up. At night when the attic cools down, the air handler will work. I have replaced the T-Stat but that didn't help. Today, I put the fan on first, and it...

Air Handler [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Trane heat pump and air handler. When I select heat, the blower does NOT run, but the outside unit fan turns very slow and the breaker trips. Do I have a problem with the handler blower or the outside unit? Should the handler blower run when the thermostat is selected to "ON" regardless...

Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Fl and my heat pump is outside and the air handler is in the attic. I discovered the tray under the air handler was overflowing and used a wet vac to remove it. My ceiling is getting wetter and wetter in an area about 1x2 feet. I've removed the insulation where the water is and can't...

Air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump. When the air conditioner comes on it sounds normal then after a few seconds I hear like a swooshing noise coming from the air handler in the attic. It makes the noise then stops then few seconds later does it again.and keeps doing that every time.We had to have freon put in the...

View more questions Search