Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScoJo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Electrical issue
    :confused: A schematic question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't the same as the one that came out of it. The old motor had three wires coming out of the motor and the new one has four. The old one had a black wire, a purplish/blue wire, and a brown. The black went to the contactor, the blue went to one pole of the capacitor, the brown went to the other pole. There was also a red wire coming from the contactor on the same pole as the blue/purple.The new motor has a black,a white,a brown,and a brown wire with a white stripe. I would appreciate any amount of help someone could give me. I have been arguing with this AC for hours and I am out of ideas. Please help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 06:40 PM
    I know you are having trouble with this, but really need more infor to help, as the colors of the wires is not helpful. Can you find any model numbers on the two motors? Is there a wiring diabram for the AC unit? Without any info, I doubt anyone can help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Did you buy a new capacitor with the new motor, if not you should have. The capacitor size you need is printed somewhere on the box and probably on the motor its self. If you did get a capacitor the two brown wires go to the two poles on the capacitor The white wire goes to the same pole on the old capacitor that the red wire is connected to and the black wire goes back to the space on the contactor that the old black came off. Now if you want to get rid of the old contactor, and it only has two post on it ( each post having two or four places to clip wires) Follow the red wire back to the contactor and put the white wire in its place and discard the red wire and the old capacitor. If the old capacitor happens to have three different post (each with the multiple connections) then you can not throw it away because it might serve as the capacitor for the compressor as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical [ 3 Answers ]

1. What determines the ampacity of a wire? 2. what is the maximum spacing between supports for rigid nonmetallic conduit trade size of a. 1 inch b. 2 inch ? 3.what is the difference between type AC and type ACT atmored cables?

Electrical & Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay St. Regis ceiling fan but no directions. Can I get a copy?

Electrical & Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay St. Regis ceiling fan but no directions. Can I get a copy?

Electrical problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1987 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 plow truck that will not start.  When you turn the key to start the interior light goes out and it will not start.  You have to let it sit for 24 before the interior light comes on again.  And the cycle goes on,  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

View more questions Search