Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Do you agree with this priest's observation of this gospel reading?
    Gospel Lesson for Saturday (Lk 6:1-5): One Sabbath Jesus was going through the corn fields and his disciples began to pick heads of grain crushing them in their hands for food. Some of the Pharisees asked them, «Why do you do what is forbidden on the Sabbath?». Then Jesus spoke, «Have you never read what David did when he and his men were hungry? He entered the house of God, took and ate the bread of the offering and even gave some to his men, though only priests are allowed to eat that bread». And Jesus added, «The Son of Man is Lord and rules over the Sabbath».

Commentary: Fr. Austin Chukwuemeka Ihekweme (Ikenanzizi, Nigeria)

«The Son of Man is Lord and rules over the Sabbath»

Today, responding to the Pharisees' accusation, Jesus explains the correct meaning of the Sabbath, while quoting an example from the Old Testament (cf. Deut 23:26): «Have you never read what David did (... )? He entered the house of God, took and ate the bread of the offering and even gave some to his men, though only priests are allowed to eat that bread» (Lk 6:3-4).

David's behaviour anticipates the doctrine Christ teaches in this passage. God had already established in the Old Testament an order for the precepts of the Law, whereby those of less rank would yield to the main ones.

In the light of all this, it can be understood that a ceremonial precept (as the one we are commenting) yields to a precept of the natural law. The precept of Sabbath, likewise, is not more important than the elementary needs of subsistence.

In this passage, Christ teaches which was the meaning of the divine institution of the Sabbath: God had instituted it to man's benefit, so that he could rest and devote his time with peace and joy to the divine cult. However, the Pharisees' interpretation had transformed this day into a day of anguish and worrying because of the many directions and prohibitions.

The Sabbath had been set up not only for man's rest, but also to glorify God: this is the actual and true meaning of the expression «The Sabbath was made for man... » (Mk 2:27).

Furthermore, by declaring himself “Lord of the Sabbath” (cf. Lk 6:5), He openly manifests that He is the very same God who gave the precept to the people of Israel, thus confirming his divinity and his universal power. For this reason, other laws can be established, just as Yahweh did in the Old Testament. Jesus can therefore be called “Lord of the Sabbath”, because He is God.
    <><><>
    Do you agree with this priest's observation of this gospel reading?
    If not what is your observation of it?
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Teresa51 Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
    I am not exactly sure where your question really is, but I do agree that the Sabbath was designed for man as described. As you can see in Jesus's comparison of David's action with those of the deciples, (and we know that the scriptures tell us that David was a man after God's own heart), I believe He was expressing that the whole deal with the gathering corn or eating the bread on the sabbath was just a religious bondage, and Jesus abhors religious bondage.

The Pharisee's were known for their rules of do's and don't's which put people in bondage. I believe Jesus was pointing out that The Father is compassionate, and that relationship with Him is what is important. Having a relationship with God (and I stress the word "relationship") brings you out of bondage and puts you in freedom.

David's eating the bread of the priests and sharing it with his men shows his compassion for them, as well as his understanding of fulfilling practical needs. Among many other attributes, God is also a God of fulfilling our practical needs.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Teresa51
    Thank you for your observation on that passage.
    I agree with you.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Today's gospel reading got me to wondering [ 46 Answers ]

How many people are like King Herod was. He had heard about Jesus and His miracles but came to the wrong conclusion. How many do you speculated are like that? Here is the gospel reading from the New Jerusalem Bible. Matthew 1: 1. At that time Herod the tetrarch heard about the reputation of...

Pc restarts, strange observation! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I hve Win XP installed on my system. The problem I am facing is that as the system is booting up, it just restarts. When I choose SAFE mode while booting, restart doesn't happen. I have also reinstalled the windows but problem is still intact. Can anyone help me. Thanks, Mandeep

My tonsils: a perculiar observation! [ 2 Answers ]

This is going to sound very odd but my tonsils have lumps/bumps and even holes in them. (I guess that's not too weird and wonderful as docotrs have seen them and don't seem worried) However they produce a white solid from the holes. It's about the consistancy of a small chewed piece of bread...

View more questions Search