Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laura001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Mother wanting to give up legal rights
    I have an eight year old son. In which I was married to his father up until a year ago and am still going through a evil custody dispute. He has turned my son against me and has had him make up several lies about me. I have done everything for him but to leave him once the abuse started. My son is totally poisoned by his Dad. He harassed me threatens my life he has brainwashed my son fully. I went down to 90lbs due to all of the emotionally stress and depression. A guardian has been apointed and he tells him that yes clearly he should be with me but he wants to stay with his Dad. Emotionally I cannot take it anymore. He has said that his goal in life is to make me miserable for leaving him and the only way he is able to do it is through our child so be it. If I give my rights over to him he will no longer will be able to know where I am living or have any contact with me ever again correct?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
    You can not just give up your rights, you can give full custody to the father, and not use any of your visit rights. You can not be forced to visit the child if you don't want to.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Even though you are the mother if you read hundreds of other threads on here where the father wants to give up rights you will learn that you can't just give up your rights. As fr. Chuck said you can not fight the father on him having full physical custody and you just not use your visitation rights but you can not have your rights terminated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to adopt a baby you know the mother would never give up [ 6 Answers ]

My bestfriends niece is one month pregnant and fourteen years old the father of her baby is fourteen as well, my fiancé and I have talked about adopting their baby only because we both know that she and the father can not take care of that baby and I know for a fact that it will not be safe in the...

NY mom - father wanting to give up all rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if any one could give me some advice. I reside in New York, and my child's father resides in FL. The baby was born in NY. My sons father wants to give up his paternal rights. Does this mean he is not financially obligated anymore and that he can never see his child...

A father wanting to give up rights? [ 15 Answers ]

My childrens's father wants to giveup his rights, what or how do we go about doing that. I'm 21 years old and I have a 1 year old and 2 year old. I'm in a stable relationship and we are about to get married soon and I was wondering does my fiancé have to adpot them now or what. Because my fiancé is...

Father wanting to give up rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Dakota and have lived here for the past 3 years. My divorce went through in Colorado and my exwife and daughter now live in Texas and have for almost a year now. Her new husband wants to adopt my daughter and I want to give up my rights so he can. I have called the Texas legal...

Wanting to give up parental rights [ 14 Answers ]

My friend is going through a nasty divorce. His kids are not wanting to speak to him and his wife is making his life hell. He's fought for 3 years to get his kids and the kids don't want anything to do with him. He is near a mental break down and is just wanting to give up and have everything...

View more questions Search