Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:02 PM
    What is the going rate for a babysitter?
    We will be using a babysitter for the first time. She is a daughter of a friend and 14 years old and has experience with a youngster as she has a sibling the similar age of my son? She does not know what to charge. What should I give her?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    We will be using a babysitter for the first time. she is a daughter of a friend and 14 years old and has experience with a youngster as she has a sibling the similar age of my son? she does not know what to charge. what should I give her?

I think it depends on your area - what do your friends and neighbors pay?

I pay $15.00 an hour to the person who dog sits for me - and that's the going rate.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:13 PM
    That's what I pay for my dog sitter per visit as well, but I think 15 is a bit high for a babysitter? What do you think?
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 5, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Shoot 1 kid for a 14 year old... I would pay them $5 per hour and if everything is in order when I got home maybe a bonus.

I only pay $20 per hour for 4 kids!

LOL maybe I should start babysitting ;0)
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Thats what i pay for my dog sitter per visit as well, but i think 15 is a bit high for a babysitter? what do you think?

I don't pay $15 a visit - I pay $15 AN HOUR.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Thats what i pay for my dog sitter per visit as well, but i think 15 is a bit high for a babysitter? what do you think?
    You are willing to pay your dogsitter more than your babysitter? I don't mean to sound harsh, but isn't your child worth more?

My daughter charges a flat rate of $20. With this rate, no matter how many or how few hours, she has a flourishing babysitting business.
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
    I pay my sitter $50 for an over night which is usually 7pm to 2 am...

I think $5 per hour PER child is generous for a 14 year old to earn...
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
    I'm not saying I pay more for a dog sitter than a baby sitter. Someone mentioned dog sitting, and I told them how much they were getting for a visit.

My child is worth more than anything to me, but that does not mean I should over pay for a babysitter, now do I want to underpay.

I just want to know what would be a fair yet generous amount to pay a babysitter!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Yes somewhere the I pay the dog sitter more just bothered me, But I pay about 30 dollars for a evening out
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
    $10 to show up, then at least minimum wage for 1 kid, adjust upwards from there.

1 kid - $10+$6p.h.

Add $3 per kid per hour, so 3 kids would be $10+$12p.h.

Write that on a card and give it to the parents when you talk to them. It's professional, and looks pretty good in writing.
    JustMarried614 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I think it depends on your area - what do your friends and neighbors pay?

I pay $15.00 an hour to the person who dog sits for me - and that's the going rate.

I hope your dog sitter has a master's degree
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMarried614
    I hope your dog sitter has a master's degree

She's a retired teacher so, yes, she probably does.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Depending on how long you plan on staying out. I give my 15 year old sitter a flat rate of $40 and she watchest her no more than 4-5 hours.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    You are willing to pay your dogsitter more than your babysitter? I don't mean to sound harsh, but isn't your child worth more?

My daughter charges a flat rate of $20. With this rate, no matter how many or how few hours, she has a flourishing babysitting business.

Asked my neighbor - she said she gets what she pays for. Her sitter has some Red Cross training (the sitter is 16), good head on her shoulders, wants to be a teacher, and she pays $20.00/hour. I guess the neighbors practically fight over this girl.

Another girl in the neighborhood also babysits but for $15.00 an hour but no first aid training, no references.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Wow, my daughter is First Aid trained and she charges a $20 flat fee. She has people knocking our doors down for her. Between school, cheerleading, and babysitting I never see her anymore. (She's 15).
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Wow, my daughter is First Aid trained and she charges a $20 flat fee. She has people knocking our doors down for her. Between school, cheerleading, and babysitting I never see her anymore. (She's 15).

I think it might depend on where you live, who is available.
    cher042571 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I have 2 children, ages 3 and 1... I pay 5.oo per hour for 1 child and 8.00 per hour for 2.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Since your going be gone for only 2-3 hours you can give her $20-25. Even $30 is okay.
    xcarriecookex Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Sep 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
    We will be using a babysitter for the first time. she is a daughter of a friend and 14 years old and has experience with a youngster as she has a sibling the similar age of my son? she does not know what to charge. what should I give her?
    I would say the average is around 5 pounds an hour. But as she is a friend she may want less so ask her first!

X

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No babysitter available for wedding invitees [ 4 Answers ]

My son is getting married. His future wife does not wish to have any children at the wedding. However, his sister will have an infant only 1 month old at the time of his Wedding and they do not have a babysitter. What should they do?:confused:

Ex-husband hides our daughters babysitter [ 7 Answers ]

Ex husband informed me that he will no longer be paying $50 per week for our daughter's private school. He has been paying that amount for 5 years with NO problems. He now tells me that he is broke, but yet he is a regional sales rep for a company in Cincy. However, he goes out of town 2-3 weeks...

Babysitter web sites [ 9 Answers ]

I am in need of a Babysitter due to limited budget I can't afford to sigh up for these sites are there any free sites for parents to find a sitter Thank You Jodi:confused:

Not ready for a Babysitter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I think I have issues. My baby is 3 months old, and she is my first. I don't work yet, but plan too sometime soon. My husband works, but gets a lot of time off. We are always home with the baby, one of us. We live on his parents property, close to their house. My parents are 30 minutes away, so...

View more questions Search