Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayteeemm Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Can I really get charged for this?
    Help!

So here is my situation, I'm under 18 living in Alberta, I have no criminal records, Im really a good kid, good grades and everything. Recently, I have been accused of stealing from my employer (Around $250 worth of product). The reason I am writing is because I am not sure if they have strong enough evidence against me. To be honest I didn't steal them at all.

What happened was a person came into the store and wanted to buy a t-shirt, unfortunately, while paying, the guy must have entered his PIN wrong and the transaction was canceled. Unaware, I gave him the shirt and he walked out. After a couple min, I realized what had just happened, but instead of telling my manager (If I did, I would have to pay the difference for the shirt), I stupidly decided to try and cover it up by throwing out the receipts. About 2.5 weeks later, my manager contacted me saying that he found these canceled transactions through the computer and that it was suspicious they were no longer in the store. He checked the cameras and its easy to see that I tried to cover it up.

This also happened with a couple hoodies, a bad pin was entered and I tried to cover my tracks. These were mistakes and I handled them in the wrong way.

I believe that it is unfair, but I'm worried because he told me I was going to be contacted by the police soon.

Is it possible that I can get charged with theft under $5000? I am willing to pay for the "stolen" products but I don't want to get charged for this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Hello jay:

I don't know what the tape shows. I don't know know what they know. Yes they can charge you, and if they do, I certainly wouldn't pay them. But, if they'll take money in exchange for filing charges, then pay it. But, make sure you get the promise in writing.

excon

Sep 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
    That sucks... what do you think the charges will be? Bad?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Hello again, jay:

I don't know. No charges are good. Maybe you can hire a lawyer who can make a deal for you. I'd give it a try.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 05:39 PM
    You did wrong by trying to cover up your mistake. You should have immediately notified your manager. Your poor judgment should/will get you in a lot of hot water. Now there is no easy fix for your situation. The hoodies scenerio could have been totally eliminated. You apparently didn't learn from your first supposedly honest mistake, why would you do this same dumb thing again? Makes no sense to me. Now you're going to have to pay with cold, hard cash for your screwup. Get an attorney and consider it money well spent to fix your screwup.

Sep 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Would I get charged with theft though? Because yes I did mess up and yes I handled it the wrong way, but I didn't intend for anything to be stolen, when it happened its not like I meant to mess it up.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I don't know if you could be charged with theft. Is this a small business or a larger retailer? Any way you spin this you are causing the company loss, and no company will keep an employee around who does that. Now, hopefully you learned from your mistake. What are your parent's stance on this? Are they willing to hire you a lawyer? In Canada are juvenile records thrown out when you become an adult?

Sep 5, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Umm I would say small business they only have 5 stores in 3 cities. I don't think they would want to hire a lawyer, Im not certain though. I haven't actually been charged so it depends. Obviously if it was very damaging to my name they would but in this instance I don't actually know.

And about the removal of charges upon the age of 18, I'm not to sure anyone else know?

O yeah and how much would a lawyer cost anyway?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Yes, in your area thefts like shoplifting fall under theft under 5000 dollar normally in your country.

And guess what if they can find a dozen other things they think are missing, expect them to maybe be thrown in if they start charging you. If they will settle with you for money, I would go for it, since in Canada they get often get money anyway if it goes to court

Sep 5, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Well it sounds like I'm screwed any way I look at it so I'd better just pray that my employer is forgiving and will just let me off paying for the lost goods. Thanks for the feedback!

Jay
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Hello again, Jay:

So, you still have your job?? Things can't be TOO bad.

excon

Sep 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
    No I quit just before this happened, I had to go to school and I have hockey so I couldn't keep it. So I guess he's my ex-emplyoer if you will.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 06:15 AM
    5 stores in 3 cities is not a small business. They certainly will retain an attorney. You could be charged with either theft or embezzlement, depending on the circumstances. Why in the world would you just let someone walk out of the store if the pin # was wrong? The sale either did go through okay or it didn't go through. I think you left out a lot of important info here as cashiers have been known to "sweetheart" merchandise to their friends who just happen to come into the store they are working at. Your whole story sounds rather fishy to me the more I think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get charged afterwards [ 11 Answers ]

I was in my old work the other day and I accidentally had about 15 dollars worth of stuff in my child's stroller and walked out not remebering it was there. I am sure that if they look on the cameras they would see that I had stolen these things and most everyoe there knows who I am. I live in...

What to do with my charged off car. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a car that was charged off in a bankruptcy. I lived in Missouri and moved to Texas and am moving back to Missouri. They never came to get the car after the charge off- so I just have this car sitting around. What can I do with the car? What are the ramifications if I leave it behind? I...

Charged or not charged? [ 2 Answers ]

Few months back in Toronto Canada, I was caught for shoplifting. Shop called cop, he gave me appearance notice (Appearance notice give by peace officer to a person NOT YET CHARGED FOR AN OFFENCE) and allow me to go. On the day of my first appearance I was told to pay few $ to charity and told...

Can I be charged for this? [ 5 Answers ]

I contacted the new tenant who is taking over my lease since my landlord will not call me back. I've been planning on moving out April 7th (early termination approved by landlord) and have yet to get the official o.k. from the landlord. So I'm continuing to get my information about my lease in...

Will I still get charged? [ 1 Answers ]

I have alread received a violation for "Failure to be of good behavior". My PO threatened I could be charged with forgery - is that still coming? I was made aware of this December 22. What I am asking is - if I already got violated on "failure to be of good behavior" could I get violated again if I...

View more questions Search