Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nav Posts: 50, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2008, 03:56 PM
    1 terabyte hard drive
    I want to buy a new 1tb internal hard drive because my very reliable maxtor 3.5" 350gb is running out of room, ive came close to buying the samsung spinpoint and various others (not much choices at the moment on 1tbs), but everytime i look at reviews on different sites they say contradicting things about them, one says "the Samsung spinpoint is very good and the best around I'm going to buy three of these" the other site says "they crash with the blue screen after 60 odd hours I got my money back, don't buy it", the same contradictions are happening with other hard drives , whenever I set my mind on buying a particular drive the reviews push me away,:confused: I do occasioanally ignore reviews and buy, but hard drives and the stuff in them are too precious to lose.

Any help will be very appreciated:D
    Thanks in advance
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I use Seagate drives almost exclusively. I'm currently using a 1TB ST31000340NS in an IcyDock MB559US-1S-B external enclosure for backing up a RAID 5 array of three ST3300831AS and I have several 1TBs at customer sites in RAID and as single backup drives. No issues so far... (knocks wood)

Depending on the merits of a single drive regardless of brand to protect your data is a questionable strategy in my opinion. Investing in a RAID setup would eliminate the drive as a single point of catastrophic failure. Yes, it costs more, but I would bet money that when the day comes that a drive fails in your RAID array and you simply pop the drive out and slide a new one in without the computer skipping a beat, the additional cost will seem like pittance. (Reality check: note you need RAID controller, enclosure, driver, and operating system support for hot swap to be as seamless as I've made it out to be, but you get my drift.) At the very least buy two drives and clone a backup image with backup software like Acronis TrueImage or Future Systems Solutions Casper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I installed a second hard drive and would like to know how to access it. Thanks.

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search