Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 21, 2008, 03:40 PM
    The other issue with Pascal's wager is we all could be wrong. There are more gods than just the Christian god. You could be sent to a hell worse than me because the real god feels that believing in a false god is worse than not believing at all.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    The other issue with Pascal's wager is we all could be wrong.
    Pascal's wager was proved to be false as validation for Christianity. It is strange that so many Christians do not seem to know that...

:)
    Smoked Posts: 157, Reputation: 29

Sep 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Without a god you are not aware of the mistakes you make? That's odd, I don't need a god to tell me when I've made a mistake.
    I said nothing of an afterlife, it doesn't enter into the discussion.
    How sir would you be aware of a mistake in death with out afterlife? Please explain?

Sep 21, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    You stated in Post # 109, referring to Catholicism :

"Nonsense" : That is an insult to more than 1 Billion (Roman) Catholic Christians, more than half of all Christians.

:rolleyes:

Let me jump right onto wiki and fix that definition for you so that it reflects correct data.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 07:22 PM

I want to believe in miracles. :)

I have seen many things in my life that cannot be explained. I wouldn't go so far as to call them miracles though.

As for an afterlife. I want to believe that heaven exists. Am I convinced that it does? No, sadly I'm not.

Is there a place where my parents are, where they are waiting for me, where we will be reunited? God I hope so. But once again, if there isn't, then it won't matter a lot after I die, in fact it matters more to me now then it will then.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 08:00 PM
    NeedKarma
    Good for you.
    I DO believe in miracles for I have seen some.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
    How sir would you be aware of a mistake in death with out afterlife? Please explain?
    I don't understand what you mean by "a mistake in death", can you explain please?

Sep 22, 2008, 10:18 AM
    [QUOTE=NeedKarma;1284903]
    Telling people they were wrong when they weren't.[/QUOTE

Sorry, let me explain. If I am telling people they are wrong how would I ever know unless there is some afterlife? No one would know until they die. So if you are right and there is no afterlife then what will it matter? It won't... but back to other point. Are you suggesting there is life after death? Just not the one that I believe in?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:27 AM
    You don't consider that telling people they are wrong is perhaps a little insulting to them? All I hear is you talking about yourself.

I didn't suggest anything about an afterlife though I don't believe there is one.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 22, 2008, 03:24 PM

God created free moral agents. If you are free, you can choose wrong. Anything else is merely a robot.

Angels are free moral agents too, and we have a long history on one of them who chose wrong.

So no, (in the sense you use it) God did not create evil. He created beings that can choose to be evil.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 22, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    God created free moral agents.
    Correction : you BELIEVE that the clamed-to-exist God entity created "free moral agents".

:rolleyes:
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    God created free moral agents. If you are free, you can choose wrong. Anything else is merely a robot.

Angels are free moral agents too, and we have a long history on one of them who chose wrong.

So no, (in the sense you use it) God did not create evil. He created beings that can choose to be evil.
    Well, that's a bit mean of him, isn't it?

In other words, he gave us free will but it is our job to find the right way, to find God, to worship him? Why so many options? It really isn't fair to create free moral agents, give them all these options and then condem them if they make the wrong choice.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Altenweg,
    When we raised our kids we told them what was right and wrong.
    It was their choice whether to follow the right path or not and what the consequences of their choice would be.
    I believe God did the same with us through His word, the bible.
    To top that off he gave us a conscience to help guide us.
    I have so much faith in that that I am sure of it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 06:58 PM

I respect your right to believe that Fred, I really do, but I disagree.

I do not believe that the bible is the word of God, merely the word of man, therefore I do not base my beliefs on the bible, nor do I choose a path based on the bibles teachings.

But, for the sake of conversation, the bible, if the basis of your beliefs, is not clear on which religion is the correct one.

Of course every religion that uses the bible as the basis for their belief claims that the bible clearly states that their religion is the correct one.

So, who is right?

The problem with the bible is that it isn't clear. Why? Because it was written by man. If God had written the bible then the instructions therein would be clear as a bell.

Now conscience I do possess, and I use it well. I have chosen a different path than you, and that's fine. If heaven exists I'm sure that God will see fit to admit all good people into paradise, no matter which path they chose.

Peace. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Altenweg,
    I was already aware of you beliefs which I respect for you.
    I was merely expressing mine and hoping you and others who read it understood why.
    I also believe that God inspired men (in their time, culture and understanding) to write what is now in the bible.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 07:51 PM

I too am aware of your beliefs Fred, and though I don't agree I do respect your right to believe that. :)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Peace.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Altenweg
    Agree to disagreem,
    Yes.
    It is nice to get along.
    Nice is good.
    Fred
    Pets Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 10:24 PM

Now that I agree with. :)

Peace. :)
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Sep 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62 View Post
    SassyT. You said,,,, Bottomline.. God knew all along cause He made it all.
    If God knew,,,, why did he create something that he KNEW he was going to have to destroy many times over?
    What are you asking me for? I am not God. Ask Him.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Sep 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62 View Post
    My question is,,,, of all these miracles and scientific impossibilities that happened in biblical times, why do we not see these in modern times? Did all these miracles cease after the bible was completed? What made starving peasents so special? I wanna see some mind blowing miracles also, so I have proof and can believe. Let's see Oprah walk on water. Let's see Carrot-top turn water into wine. I wanna see 50,000,000 animals stuffed onto a small boat.
    Such miracles happen all the time! I was in healing service once where I witnessed a blind eyes open, a paralytic healed, and I also witnessed with my own eyes a child who had one leg shorter that the other, his leg grew 2 inches right before our eyes. Miracles happen all the time, the dead are even raised! Nothing is impossible to them that believe. I see miracles happen in my own life. But of course to you that is all fake.. go figure :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A picture worth a thousand words? [ 4 Answers ]

Here is my story. I'm a 29 year old male who was dating a 26 year old girl for about 2 years. We broke up about 4 months ago because I felt that she was becoming rather selfish in the relationship. All about her! Her friends, her family, come over to her place. She seemed to care less and less...

Theft and possession under five thousand from employer [ 5 Answers ]

Age: 19 Ontario Durham Region I stole fifty dollars worth of headlights from my work and about a week later they took me to a room and started asking me questions they told me I was seen on camera but didn't show me it they wanted me to plead guilty to it and make a statement I told them stuff...

Established fishtank cloudy out of the blue, why? [ 5 Answers ]

I asked this same question over in Oceanography but wasn't sure if I should be posting it here. Sorry about the crosspost, but I'm in an emergency situation with my fish... Yesterday I noticed my fishtank was just slightly cloudy. So I did a 25% water change. The water remained cloudy even...

View more questions Search