Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Why don't my cats like me?
    I have two cats. One is maybe four years old, adopted by my family. The other is solely my own adopted last October. My family has been nothing but kind to the cats and they have a great life. I just get the feeling they only like my mother, not me. What can I do to make them like me more?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Animals, especially cats, are very intuitive.

They can "read" people, and can decide very quickly if they are "deserving" of their love and affection.

Perhaps the cat can really "know" what's going on inside your head, and what you think about it or them?

Just a guess.
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Sep 5, 2008, 02:20 PM
    The way to your cat's heart is through their tummy.

Preparing your cat's food will help them to see your doing the preparation, and also to have your scent on the dish. Having your scent on the bowl that contains the much cherished food will help kitty make positive associations. If you feed dry food, handle the food to put your scent on that as well.

Play sessions can be a great way to accelerate the acceptance process. Purchase a couple of fishing pole toys so you can have play sessions.

Treats are a great way to build trust. Choose healthy treats that your cat enjoys, and offer them whenever kitty comes near. At first you may have to just place the treat on the floor near the cat. But after a while the cats will trust you enough to accept the treat directly.

Remember that energy is important. You should do all of this with a positive attitude and with patience. In time your cats will come around.
    love is abby Posts: 114, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Comment on BlakeCory's post
    Thanks, that's way more helpful than the first answer!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Some cats can be more independent or quirky than others. The more time you dedicate to cuddling and playing with the cats, the more they're enjoy coming to you for attention. Cats find it very difficult to resist a serious petting session. Rub their bellies, make them purr, talk to them, give them treats. You have to build those bonds, but they'll eventually want it as much as you do. Also the best toy I've ever found is a long peacock feather. You'll probably destroy it in very little time, but it's worth it! You hold one end and then they try to catch the other. I'm in agreement about the food. You can try feeding them by hand. Tuna is like a little kitty drug, and it can make them go crazy. Good luck!
    CATSPERT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
    Is there a support group you can join that deals with cat-human relationship issues? It sounds like a past experience with a cat is holding you back. A combination of therapy and medication should do wonders to repair your relationship with your cats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to adopt but don't want to wait and don't have all the money [ 12 Answers ]

Ok first off Im a single mom to 1, my biological son is 2 almost 3. I love being a single mom, the only thing is I am 22 and can not adopt through an agency till Im 25. I wanted to have a sibling for my son by the time he was 3 or at least be talking about him getting one... I want him to be the...

I don't want to leave my fianc? But I don't know what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancé for a 1 year.We have really been through everything together. There is just one problem that cause the most trouble.He has a 3 year old daughter with his exwife of seven years.She took his daughter away from him and he just got her back today.He had to drop his...

Dog and cats [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I have two cats coming up for a year old and have just got a border collie puppy.the problem is that the cats are terrified of him as when he sees them he barks.the cats will not come near at all and hide upstairs.has anyone any idea of what can be done or is it just a matter of time.we have had...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Cats not getting along [ 3 Answers ]

I have just got a large male rescue cat, and for the past 4 weeks, my existing cat has hidden in her bed, not interested at all in food or getting any cuddles from us. I am worried they won't get on ever. I could separate their food as I did when he first moved in, but the rescue cat just goes...

View more questions Search