J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2006, 04:33 AM
    Davinci Code
    Just looking for thoughts and comments on the movie and book Davinci Code
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 04:45 AM
    It was a great read. Made me read other Dan Brown novels - I thought Angels and Demons was an even more enjoyable read. My wife and I plan to see the movie right when it comes out.
    Expert

May 6, 2006, 04:50 AM
    But what about the religious ramifications? Do you think it could cause an uprising of sorts throughout the religious community?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2006, 06:32 AM
    It might help to do a search before opening a new discussion. We recently had this discussion here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/religi...ode-24310.html
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Just looking for thoughts and comments on the movie and book Davinci Code
    It is fiction.
    Expert

May 6, 2006, 02:38 PM
    I understand it is fiction, however, it was all over the news this morning about some of the possible ramifications when people who do not completely understand that it is fiction see it. They discussed how Opus Dei may suffer some harsh criticism.

And ScottGem, just because there was a recent discussion, I believe a discussion can be reopened when something comes up in the news. This movie, although fiction, could create religious tension.

If it is worthy of the news, why is it not worthy of conversation?

May 6, 2006, 03:34 PM
    And ScottGem, just because there was a recent discussion, I believe a discussion can be reopened when something comes up in the news.
    I didn't say it wasn't. But instead of opening a new discussion, extend the existing one. This is one area where it would be OK to revive a dormant thread.

Those news discussions are also rehashes. The same discussions occurred when the book was originally released.

Just old news.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 03:36 PM
    But what about the religious ramifications?
    I don't believe there are any.

Do you think it could cause an uprising of sorts throughout the religious community?
    No. There's not a hint of one now, and there will not be. Now, if we saw and read about reputable historians or priests speaking of the possibility of these things, then we might wonder... but there's no hint of any of that.

Clearly it's a hit and people love to talk about the hits. Throw on that the twist of making it sound like it could be true that one third of the people on the planet, including the worlds biggest Organization, have been duped.

Sensational! Wow! The stuff that makes fiction authors rich. That's all it is.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
    The truth about the Da Vinci Code.

Please see Rev. Bill Keller give his opinion on video at:

Prayer Requests and Miracles 24 hours a day! Prayer. Warning 22 minute video

May 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
    The "truth" about the Davinci Code is that it's a work of fiction played out against a background of some historical fact and some historical speculation.

Let each person decide for themselves what facts to believe or disbeleive.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

May 18, 2006, 02:54 PM
    According to author Dan Brown,Mary Magdeline had a child by Jesus called Sarah,and after his crucifixion,she,and the child fled to France,where the blood-line continued through French royalty,and supposidly,up-to this day.Da Vinci's painting The Last Supper,reportidly shows a woman,standing to the right of Jesus.Critics,and scholers have argued for years over this.Some say it is Mary Magdeline,others that it is nothing of the sort.
    The book,and movie are fiction,as has already been said.I shall watch the movie,as simply a movie,nothing more,nothing less.Am I filling up the coffers of Dan Brown,Certainly.Will I stop going to my baptist church,or join a demonstration in protest of the book/movie? No.
    Critics in the UK have already panned the movie as boreing,with some even yawning half-way through.Actor Sir Ian McKellern even stated on TV that this movie will prove to the Catholic church that Jesus was not gay.Only time will tell what the public at large make of all this,but I feel that for those actors involved it could prove a catastrophic blunder to their future careers.I hope not,for all are talented artists,and all have appeared in good past movies.Yet as they say,God moves in mysterious ways,not vengeful,or vendictive,but subtle,and quiet.However,what ever the outcome,my faith will remain constant.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Nice, reasonable editorial in the local paper here...
    http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...605180325/1004

In particular I liked this part...
    "Any faith that can't stand a little questioning -- especially the farfetched Da Vinci Code kind -- is a shallow one indeed. And Americans, overwhelmingly believers in God, are not persons of little faith. Religious groups afraid the movie will affect the beliefs of audience members or make the faithful doubt, underestimate the intelligence of the average American.

At least we hope they do.

However, if theater audiences are so easily swayed that one movie can shake lifelong religious beliefs, that means churches should get on a mission to better inform the flock about doctrines, including historical controversies relating to early Christianity. In other words, religious groups can embrace the Code controversy as an opportunity to brush up on their theology and get the message about their own beliefs across more keenly.

That's the reasonable -- and smart -- response to theological fallout from viewing the movie that some Brevard County churches have planned."

Enough respect to go around for everyone... I like that!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    The truth about the Da Vinci Code.

Please see Rev. Bill Keller give his opinion on video at:

Prayer Requests and Miracles 24 hours a day! Prayer. Warning 22 minute video
    "Why would you want to pay good money to see pure fictional fantasy."

That's what people do every day when they go to the movies. Has this guy ever been out in the real world? LOL I want my 10 minutes back after watching this guy who is obviously living in an alternate reality.

May 18, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Hmmm, That part that val quoted, I saw in Ellis Henican's column 2 days ago. Yet a I saw no credit given in the that link.

Added: I've sinced reviewed Henican's column (thanks to Val) and that part was not in it. I know I saw it somewhere in a NY paper, but no longer have those issues to find where I saw it.

Be that as it may, the contention that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a daughter named Sarah and they both wound up in France is not Dan Brown's. There are other authorities that have promoted that theory. What Dan Brown did was take theories and facts and speculation about the marriage of Jesus and Mary and weave that into a very good thriller about the search for proof.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2006, 06:11 PM
    A lot of the idea and all the teachings of this "secret soceity" have been already proved false ( long before the book was even written) the entire society was based on forged information placed in various library and then all "found" all of a sudden to show the facts of the society.

And the problems just get funnier after that. The ancient texts that these are all based on were told in the book that they are much older than the gospels that are used in the bible, this is exactly the opposite, they gospels the bible is based on are much older.

Next there were not 80 tests there were about 15 that were not included either because they could not prove them or they were not commomly used among all the churches. Except for I believe Luke, 2nd John and Revelatoins, the rest were all accepted 100 percent. The entire bible as we have it was accepted by all but 3 of the Bishops at the meeting.
    There was no real debate over what was to be in or not.

And the "gospels" that they base the book on in part is the teachings in the area where Mohammad took over, thus that is why you see ( according to Christian teaching) these principles in the Quran as they would have been learned by Mohammad as his christian wives and slaves would have related these teachings to him. Plus you have to laugh since the book goes on to say these gospels allow more freedom for women, but part of the main teachings is that women twill be transfored into men for true salvation.

What Dan was is that he took a false idea, and instead of basing it in a true world, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, he created the image of a world that is just off enough to sound true but is not.

Part of the book is the glass panes shaped like a triangle outside of one of the buildings, the number of these are a clue, he does not have the number right for several hundred, since the real number did not fit the story.

Basically anyone with any real education in church history of this time would know that is no base to this, and that allof the ideas are all a hodgepog of things that don't fit together.

And of course since there was no secret society ( proved in french court) then Da Vinci would not have been a member of it.

Next all of the "secret" in Da Vinci naming his paintings this or that, the painter did not name them, The art word named them, Mona Lisa was not a combination of man/women like the book said, but merely madam Lisa whom the painting is named after.

I would say that there are several good books on the subject showing how far from the truth the book is.

With that said, it is a great novel, sadly too many people without good education, or those merely wanting to find fault with the Christian faith use it as proof, but of course those who don't want to be Chrsitian, even took Star Wars and created a Church of the Jedi where you can become a knight and more. So if you want to find a reason to leave the Christian church you will find one.

The worst thing about the book, is that it may hurt newer Christians who have not learned enough, or even long time that just don't know better.
    And of course for all of the anti catholic people out there , it gives them fuel even if fake.

As for the movie, bet it is going to be the best action film of the year, as long as you know it is no more real than Star Wars, you will be fine.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

May 19, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Well well.The arguing has already started,with Universal Music,and Sony coming to legal blows over the Da Vinci music:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Da Vinci Code sparks off CD row

On UK TV this morning,it was reported that Tom Hanks has packed his bags,and left Cannes early.Hmnn?
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Apparently the movie is flopping:

The Da Vinci Code - RottenTomatoes

Da Vinci Code, The (2006): Reviews - Metacritic
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Jesus was and is the only totally, perfect human to walk this planet. When someone sets out to slander that fact, they must fail. That is just Karma or reaping what you sow... a natual law of the universe. This movie will adversly affect every one that had anything to do with it. I said it before and I will say it again, it is pure CRAP and not worthy of my time nor my hard earned dollor. Just because Jesus forgave and welcomed a prostitute into the fold, does not mean he acquired her services. That, essentially, is what Mr. Brown has said. To hell with Dan Brown. His fame and fortune are fleeting and it will be gone as soon as it came. :mad: BOYCOTT
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 07:56 AM
    I did wonder, though, considering the popularity of the book. I half expected it to be a big hit.

We'll see what happens when it hits the U.S.
    Expert

May 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Opens today, I'll just sit back and wait till it comes on video.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help in VB Code [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, Iam traying to get result of my record as below If next record is biger than previous show "1" If next record is same previous show "1" If next record is smallest show "0" if next record is same previous show "0" Example

DaVinci Code [ 57 Answers ]

WARNING, if anyone has not read the book and wants to or plans on seeing the movie instead, I suggest they not read this thread. Discussion of the themes of the book may reveal plot twists and spoil enjoyment of the book. I just finished reading the book and found it very interesting. It's a...

Decode code [ 1 Answers ]

I am very happy to know about you. Please I am a Cameroonian and having a cingular phone with the following details. What happen with the phone is that my small brother took it and not knowing the operatings,entered a code that he could no longer remember.It show that he had changed the...

View more questions Search