Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 5, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Don't know what to do
    When I moved to Tennessee I felt that my children needed a more stable environment than I could provide for them so they stayed in Oregon with their fathers. I have an excellent relationship with my oldests father and we remain friends and talk often. My youngest daughter I haven't talked to since last thanksgiving. I have tried to contact her father to talk to her at least once a week since then, usually more often. My mother called to try and get ahold of him tonight and was told that he moved out of state to Illinois. I still have christmas and birthday presents that haven't been mailed because I didn't have the correct address to mail them too and couldn't get ahold of him to get it. I pay him child support (court ordered). Even while I was in Oregon he refused to let me see her. He doesn't have custody of her and we have no court documents as far as custody goes. The child support was through the state health care system. My family thinks that I should file kidnapping charges on him since he didn't keep me informed about her and blocked all of my attempts to contact and have a relationship with her. I just don't know what to do and I'm hoping that someone could help point me in the right direction. Neither of us live in Oregon anymore, and I don't know what exactly my rights are. I am hoping to contact an attorney on Monday but until then... Please if you have any ideas I would appreciate them. TIA
    RosieJ74 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2006, 02:20 AM
    I believe that you should contact a lawyer. Especially for a free consultation. A lawyer would be the best bet for now. You can also try to file the charges with the police station. The station will tell you where to file them and what you can do...
    I really wish I could help you more. Do you know where he is in Illinois?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 04:00 AM
    Hi,
    I am sorry to read about this. I am not a Lawyer, nor a professional in this area. I would not even guess about any legal rights; it's really a different situation.
    A lawyer would be able to advise you, and I am really glad you are going to see one. I do wish you the best, and hope you can find him and your children.
    I live in Va, about 2 hr drive from the TN line.

May 6, 2006, 08:46 AM
    I don't know where he could be there. I haven't been able to contact him at all... He just fell off the face of the earth. I had called him at work but he was never there or they just wouldn't let my call go through to him at his request probably. I'm trying to think positive but it's really hard given the situation. Thank you all again. I hope I can get some answers from an attorney soon. Until then it's a hurry and wait thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2006, 09:39 AM
    This is the problem, if you don't have a court ordered custody agreement, then he has just as much legal right to the child as you do. And since you left the child with them he did not take the child.

If you had legal custody, you would have interference with custody,

You are going to have to go to court and try to get custody of the child.
    ( fathers have equal custody rights unless there is a court order)

As a former police officer, at least in GA, this would be a civil custody issue not a criminal act. You could hire a private dectitive if you have his social security number he should be easy to find.

But of courfse checking with a local attorney would always be the best bet.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2006, 10:15 AM
    I was able to direct her to an attorney in our area who (at least used to) work in this area. I gave her the name and number. She is within 30 miles of me.

May 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
    There is a child support order in this... I have to pay child support. Since custody hasn't been established in the court system then we share equal rights. In the state of Oregon it's illegal to move the child more than 60 miles without giving the other parent any contact information. At least that's what I can conclude from the websites on Oregon law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search