Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vegas2797 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Excel - Count how many cells have a certain color
    Is there a formula to count how many cells within a row have a certain color. For Instance if I have A1 to M1 filled in with text and 8 are colored yellow then I want my result in N1 to say 8. Any way to do this?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Which version of Excel are you on? Must include info like that in this forum!

For Office 2003, there is no function, you will need some VB code to create a new function that you can then use in your formulas. I've done this exact thing using the following page... it works perfectly!

Sum/Count Cells By Fill Or Background Color in Excel

This page shows the same thing in a similar way, but it's much briefer... which may be bad if this all sounds greek to you.
    http://www.exceltip.com/st/Count_by_...Excel/518.html

In Office 2007, I believe there is a simple way already built in...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to count cells with colored font. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm have a spread sheet in Excel that has some cells fonts in red to indicate poor numbers. I want to know how I can count how many cells on the spread sheet have red font. I tried to do a COUNTIF command but I'm not sure if this is will count the colored font data.

Format Cells in Excel 2007 [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a way in Excel to automate adding hyphens in a specific position in a column of numbers (like a mac address list) For example: 0021e96c4183 00-21-e9-6c-41-83 HOWEVER When I use this method Home tab, Cell group, click on Format On Number tab from the Format Cells dialog screen I'd...

How to count the cells in excel with different fill pattern styles [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I want to count the cells in excel with different fill pattern styles. How is it possible. Can anyone post the function for this purpose like counting coloured cells. I tried a lot , but I got failed. Here I got a function to count cells filled solid, but it is not working... is it...

Excel - Merge Cells [ 3 Answers ]

Any way to merge a number of cells into one cell, for example the title of many columns in a table?

Multi line cells in excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, any idea how to have multiple lines in a single cell in excel? I'm trying to make my table look a little neater, but it makes some of my comments overlap into following cells - is there any way to make the rows higher and to have 2 lines of text in a cell? Thanks in advance - Cap

View more questions Search