Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Portable generator suggestions
    Im looking to buy a portable generator for occasional use, such as some power to a house during a blackout.

I am not looking to power the whole house, Im looking to just keep a refrigerator running, maybe a light or 2, maybe interchanging a small appliance

I Do not want to overpay for a device that is overkill for my needs, but also want to have enough power to support the above mentioned items.

Any input/suggestions regarding power requirements for generator would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slc258
    Im looking to buy a portable generator for occasional use, such as some power to a house during a blackout.

I am not looking to power the whole house, Im looking to just keep a refrigerator running, maybe a light or 2, maybe interchanging a small appliance

I Do not want to overpay for a device that is overkill for my needs, but also want to have enough power to support the above mentioned items.

Any input/suggestions regarding power requirements for generator would be appreciated.
    thanks

Furnace or no furnace?

When I bought mine (and it's been replaced with an automatic whole house) I found the difference between a small model and a large model was very little money. All I cared about was the furnace or air/garage door/sump pump/refrigerator/microwave and ended up being able to power my whole house.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:01 AM
    I had to rent one for a few days because of a 4 day power failure. The house is gas, so the stove was operational.

The sump pump(s) usually don't run except during storms. This would be about 1/3 HP and another load of less than 50 W (bilge pump).

The critical loads were then a freezer and two refrigerators. Not sure of the combined total there, but I did have to keep moving the loads and two extension cords were used.

Definitely, not the easiest thing to do. Generators are in short supply during an emergency.

Critical devices like computers and DSL modems may require an generator with an inverter output which provide much more stable power.

The simplest method involves a generator input connector and an interlocked breaker at the panel so that the main and generator breaker cannot be engaged at the same time.

The second method is a subpanel for critical loads.

The third method is whole house with possible load sheding, like preventing the AC from being backed up.

Then there is the question of automatic and manual transfer switches.

Yep, it really would have been nice to know the load on the generator from inside.

You can also get dual fuel portable generators. That use natual gas and gasoline as fuels. You would connect the generator to an external tap like you might a gas grille.

You have to weigh options like dual fuel, electric start for portable generators and you have to weigh whether this should be in an "always available" state. They make small sheds for portable generators, so you can leave it connected. The shed needs to be able to provide cooling and exhaust.

Look carefully at gas consumption, inverter output, electric start, dual fuel, and "always available".

The VA or Watts on the nameplate combined with what loads you need to control will determine the size. Be sure lights are considered.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 09:53 AM
    And I found the portable generator - and I have one of those plugs built into the side of the house and a switch box so all I do is fire the generator and plug it in, no running cords - was cumbersome and I had to start it every month to make sure it was all right and it was simply a pain. I'm in a rural area, my power is often out, I wasn't going to go through that.

And, yes, if I bought another one - mine is now an automatic gas generator - I would have gotten the electric start kind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable generator overvoltage [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Generac generator that lost it's ac output volltage. I changed the regulator and it started working but now the voltage is too high, . Ihave checked rpm and cycles and they are OK. It's a Generac 7000 EXL 12250 WATT SURGE BRUSH TYPE EXCITER. Thanks for your help

Portable generator doesn't generate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small gas portable generator that sat idle in the barn for several years. I have cleaned out the carberator and the engine runs fine. The problem is it is only producing 5 volts of electricity. What may be the problem?

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

QUOTE=tkrussell]The 100 volts is a bit low. Electrical device operate on +/- 10% , so the lowest volts supplied should be no lower than 108 volts. Incandescent lamps and electric heat will work fine on 100 volts. But any motors may overheat using 100 volts. Volts is usually changed on the...

Portable generator [ 2 Answers ]

The question I have is that my generator is only putting out about 100v. I would like to know if this will cause damage to anything that is running off the generator. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most appliances run between 110 and 120. I was told that the output of the generator could vary...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

View more questions Search