Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 5, 2006, 01:10 PM
    The do's and don'ts of breastfeeding
    I decided to start a new thread so that the "Free Mason's" thread isn't shut down due to off-topic discussions (like the anti-christ bush topic.) any more opinions/facts about breastfeeding then can be talked about in here. I do know that every baby is different, and some are easier than others as far as wheening etc. My son was stubborn about it, and he still is stubborn, about a lot of things. HMMMM... I wonder where he could have gotten that trait from :o
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 5, 2006, 09:32 PM
    I have a question about breastfeeding. I have large breasts and both of my girls wouldn't or couldn't latch on because they were so small. I had to pump for awhile with them. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Well I don't know if it's the same thing Myth, but I'm having a kind of similar problem... my baby had a hard time latching on, and the doctor told me yesterday that my breasts are really badly engorged... too much milk comes out too fast. Not to be vulgar, but I can actually "aim and squirt" with them, LOL!! Anyway I'm now having to pump as well, just started.

May 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
    What kind of pump are you using? I have pretty much resigned myself to pumping for the twins. Now I'm looking into buying a breast pump so that I have it on hand when the time comes. I could point and shoot with mine too. This may have no relavance but I'm pretty large normally up top... 44dd... I'm pretty scared that I'm going to suffocate the little ones... lol... especially after my milk comes in. If anyone knows of a really good pump or has one used I would love to know about it and possible buy it... lol.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 6, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Myth,
    If you have a local W.I.C. Office, they will loan or rent you a breast pump. My daughter has a loaner double pump that works great! It is rather big and looks like she is hooked up to a cow milker LOL but it is electric and is working great for her.. she has inverted nipples and became engorged, and the baby wasn't latching on leading to very sore Mommeryglands. The pump has been a lifesaver! I'll find out the name and get back to you, but check into WIC if there is one near you
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
    everything I know about breastfeeding I learned from my wife.

=)

wife bought a double pump, used and sterilized from a local midwife clinic. Best 250 (or something like that) we spent. Don't know the name, I'm afraid. But it absolutely saved her. She had mastitis one time right before we got it and never after. Not to mention the bunch of breastmilk we were able to freeze for the baby. Almost half the freezer was full at one point.

I know the midwifery clinic commonly had a couple for sale... again, usually used and sterilized from previous clients.

May 7, 2006, 04:29 AM
    Thanks guys... I hadn't even got that far in my research on it, now I at least have a direction other than eBay and the hospital to go with. Sorry kp tried to comment on you but I have to "spread it around more" .lol
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Myth, this is the breast pump I bought:

Avent Isis Breast Pump - Babiesrus.ca

I like it just fine, but then again I've never had a breast pump before so I'm not exactly an expert either! :p

May 7, 2006, 07:09 PM
    I would love to use that but unfortunately I think I would be using it all the time... lol. I think with twins I need to get an electric one so that I can get a good consistancy and supply. Thank you though... I'm checking the site for affordable electric ones...
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Oh, electric ones pump more then I guess? Like I said I don't know much about breast pumps, haha.

I didn't know you could rent pumps as well. I'm assuming they are steralized and/or the actual part that touches your breast is new though? Because HIV is present in breast milk.

May 7, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Most hospitals will rent one and the WIC program does and they all get steralised before they are passed to someone new. The electric ones just tend to make things faster (which I like) and have a bit more pull to them. I have tried the manual pumps and I go dry with them and end up looking like popeye... lol... I need to save all the time and energy I can with these two. I just know their going to keep me running.

Btw, how you holding up with your new one?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Popeye... LOL!! Yeah I can't imagine twins... it's going to be a lot of work, so I understand wanting the most efficient pump you can get!

I'm doing pretty good. Still very sore from the incision, and I was getting extremely tired from having to get up to feed him every 3 hours or so. But now that I'm pumping my husband and parents (if you recall my parents are here right now) are helping more with his feedings, and last night I was actually able to get 7 hours straight of sleep! I slept on the couch downstairs where I couldn't hear my baby crying. I really didn't want to, but my mom insisted they would get up when he cried... I was practically crying from being apart from him! But it was worth it. I had a really good rest. And it's kind of mean but nice at the same time LOL, to see everyone else yawning and looking tired for a change!! :p

May 7, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Lol. I know what you mean about being sepearated, but you do need that sleep. It will help you in the long run, and him too. When your tired and stressed your baby knows and will be upset by it, and will react in kind. You had a c-section didn't you? I may have to have one and I'm scared to death. Both the girls were delivered vag. When did your milk come it if you don't mind my asking?
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 8, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Yes, I bought a cheaper "Evenflo" electric breast pump for about $40. And it would take FOREVER to pump even a whole bottle once I wasn't engorged anymore, the good electric breast pumps are the expensive kinds (around $200.00) which the hospital in your area should have available to rent or borrow. I wish I would have done this, it would have saved me a lot of time! Yes, they are steralized and I think you have to but the part that touches your breast. It is an insert. Otherwise, it IS worth the investment, if you can afford the cost. Next time (in the future! :)) I think I will!

Good For you Orange! Get some sleep when you can! You will be better for it!
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    You had a c-section didn't you? I may have to have one and i'm scared to death. Both the girls were delivered vag. When did your milk come it if you don't mind my asking?
    Yes I had a c-section. I didn't find it that bad, actually. It's very sore, but the incision is a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be, and it's right along my bikini line, so the scar is not going to be very noticeable once it heals. I'm probably not a good judge of the pain of the surgery though because I had open heart surgery when I was 16, and that was a lot worse than this. So I'm kind of an old pro at surgery.

My milk came pretty much right away after the baby was born. It was weird actually... I heard him cry and then my breasts started to leak. He did have some trouble latching on like I said, but it wasn't for lack of milk!

May 8, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Same here. When I was six months pregy with my oldest I had to have surgury for kidney stones... Those hurt worse than the 12hr labor with my 3yr old... I have a fairly high pain tolerance so I'm not to worried about that... I just don't want to be awake.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Oh okay... well, the being awake part wasn't that bad, either. It felt a bit weird at first, and I was nervous, but I felt absolutely nothing and it was very quick. So try not to worry, I'm sure you will do fine.
    tiggernpooh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Medela has a full line of breastpumps for different needs - check out their website. I have the mini electric and it works great - was very engorged the first 2 months but now my body has adjusted to my baby's needs -
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 13, 2006, 03:18 AM
    Okay so I have got to ask.. has anyone else here heard that if you drink half a beer it will increase your milk production? My daughter has said that like 6 people have told her that's what she needs to do to make more milk.. mind you she is 17 and hates( thankfully) alcohol of any kind. But I have never heard this.. apparently it's a rather popular suggestion.. and does anyone know of any natural way to increase milk production, other than feeding and pumping more often? She can not pump more than 1/2 oz at a time and the baby is 2 weeks old.

May 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
    I have never heard of the beer thing and wouldn't recommend it since it will go into the babies system. The only thing I can suggest is pumping more often and for longer periods. Also, and I know this may sound odd, don't wear a bra and if at all possible let the daddy suck on them... the stimulus will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

How can you tell pregnant while breastfeeding? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old baby.I am breastfeeding, and no menst. Period yet. Last week had one day light, pinkish spotting. My boyfriend and I had sex the night before. Had negative. Pregnancy test, but am wondering if it is possible it was implantation spotting or just irritation from...

Breastfeeding [ 4 Answers ]

If I breastfeed will it make my nipples a little bit bigger? :D

Breastfeeding & Pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I am breastfeeding my child. I had no period for a year. Lately I Felt PMS and had very light period 3 day spotting (I thought it was the first period after lactational amenrohea). After that, the PMS symptoms continued few weeks. I got tired. I suspected pregnancy. I took home pregnancy test. ...

View more questions Search