Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Is this about time and timing?
    Lk 5:33-39): Some people asked Jesus, «The disciples of John fast often and say long prayers, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees. Why is it that your disciples eat and drink?». Then Jesus said to them, «You can't make wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them. But later the bridegroom will be taken from them and they will fast in those days».
    Jesus also told them this parable, «No one tears a piece from a new coat to put it on an old one; otherwise the new will be torn and the piece taken from the new will not match the old. No one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed as well. But new wine must be put into fresh skins. Yet no one who has tasted old wine is eager to get new wine, but says: The old is good».
    To me this is about time and timing, there is a time for all things.
    :confused: Please how do you see it?
    :) Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 4, 2008, 11:11 PM
    In a way, yes, because the old law was the way of the pharisees up to the time of jesus. When something new, jesus, came along, it was time for a change, a new covenant of spiritual fasting. It certainly didn't fit in with the old customs. This internal spiritual fasting, circumcision, and baptism of the holy spirit was something someone like the pharisees just couldn't grasp, because the two ways are incompatible.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Cogs,
    Thank you for your opinion about that.
    Fred
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Sep 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
    I believe it is a message not only for the Jews of Jesus' time but it is one many need to heed today.

He was NOT talking about just a time but about a totally NEW COVENANT/TESTAMENT. The time had come when Jesus would fulfill the Old Covenant which was only a shadow of the reality of God's good news of becoming His children.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 07:09 PM
    revdrgade,
    Very Good.
    Thanks for your thoughts on that.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Not really, Fred.

These stories with a deeper meaning(parables) are not about the same thing. :)

There is Jesus as the bridegroom parable...
    And the old versus new parable of spiritual insight.

Best wishes,
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Thanks Choux.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right guy, bad timing? [ 2 Answers ]

I've adored this man as a friend for many years. There has always been a certain chemistry between us, but because he was married I maintained a distant attraction. Recently, I was told that he had filed for divorce. A few weekends ago, several of our mutual friends (who have always observed the...

Is it Really Bad Timing? [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advise from some female bloggers... Recently I've been dating a co-worker who has just ended a 3 1/2 year relationship about 4 months ago. We hit it off great as we have so many Things in common especially our outlook in life. However, when things started to get more serious in...

View more questions Search