Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbthepoet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Setting up lan connection on ME OS
    I am trying to connect my son's computer to the internet via a wireless adaptor (cnet wireless-g usb dongle). I have a netgear router, which I have wireless access for my laptop through. I don't believe these devices are part of my issue, but wanted to include as much info as possible.
    I have an E-machines computer with Windows ME os.
    We previously used this computer on a dial up connection, but it has not been used for a while. I tried to go through the internet connection wizard to set up a new connection to switch from dial up to LAN, but it always seems to revert back to dial up. It did not ask me for any info like IP address or anything like that, so I don't know if maybe there's something more I need to do to set up the internet other than the connection wizard. I do have my IP address and some of the other info for the connection I use for my cable modem and wireless laptop, but in going through the connection wizard there is no place that requires me to input any of this info.
    I'm sure that it's not as difficult to do as I've made it for myself, but I am at my wits end and wanted to surprise my son with internet in his room.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I've not included info necessary for the help, please let me know what else & I'll post it!
    Thanks so much for reading!
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 10:30 PM
    You want to connect your son's PC from your Laptop or from your ME desktop ?

I hope your laptop got internet. If you want to connect your son's PC from your laptop , install LOGMEIN software in your son's PC. That software is remote desktop software.

After you install LOGMEIN at your son's PC , you can see his PC from other PC by using internet browser.

you can download the software from below link:

LogMeIn Free - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

===================================

For your ME OS PC , go to control panel and check at Network Properties (double click network properties). You will see all the network like Local Area Network , Wireless Network .

I think in there one more network for dial up . Delete that dial up network.

you check on LAN properties and Wireless Properties.

By the way , your Router have DHCP or manual IP ?

If manual , you need to key in the IP manually.

Regards,
    ABB
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Hi,
    Gotone of my most hated OS's. ME is not "seeing the USB device, something that is not uncommon. First go to Control Panel>Add...Hardware and see if it recognizes it. If it does, good; otherwise tell it to "Look"(button.) If it finds it, it will look for a driver. If it does not, it will get cryptic and make you tell it what it is looking for. At any rate I would bet that it will barely find it if at all. You will probably need a driver. I have a Win98 SE machine that recognizes a USB flash drive, but it was hell to get it to that point. Yours should be a bit easier. You need to know the make and model of the device, and you may have to use a dial-up connection to get it onto the machine, but look at:

USBMan - The Webs #1 USB and USB 2.0 Help and Information Site

For the appropriate driver. This said, go through all that rig-a-ma-role in Add... Hardware again after installing it.(remember, USB requires driver installation first, so download and un-zip and/or run first.) Then let the computer "look" for new hardware and , if you are lucky, you will be pleasantly "blessed" by a computer that "finds" new hardware and a driver. That is how it went for me.
    Good luck,
    crigby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting Up LAN [ 1 Answers ]

I have an XP computer and a VISTA computer. Each connect to internet by a D-Link DI-604 router and a Motorola 5220 cable modem. Each computer is connected to internet separately, not one connected through other. I would like to setup a LAN so that they can talk to each other. XP machine...

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

I'm I setting myself up? [ 2 Answers ]

So after a yr my boyfriend dumped me. He was sincerely as close as a person can get to perfect. I treated him poorly by letting my own personal issues, baggage and slight drinking problem get in the way, and every time it would cause an argument, I'd promise to this time be better. He was always...

E-bay setting?? [ 1 Answers ]

?I have a question for anybody that can help. I have been an e-bayer for some time now and have not had any problems with setting on the site. Now all of a sudden am having problems when I click on a customers e-mail address, or on the feedback section. Here are my problems... I have cable line...

View more questions Search