Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mery karimi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Who is responsible for repairs on used car.
    I sold my car to someone 6 months ago. I live in CA and the state requires the seller to provide a smog certificate for the buyer. I did not know of this law, nor did the buyer. She did not try to get a smog check or register the vehicle until 6 months after the purchase. At this point, who is responsible to pay for the repair of the vehicle in order for it to pass the smog check ( and it is an expensive repair!) I know I was in the wrong not to have researched the law myself before selling, but I think there is something fishy about not registering a car for 6 months--it is possible that the car was not properly taken care of during this time...
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:20 AM
    I think this is an interesting issue, and both sides have points in their favor.

Have you attempted to negotiate with her by partially paying for the repairs? Or are you just planning not to pay at all.

You can always sit back and do nothing and hope she doesn't sue you. If she does, your defense in court will be that you have no way of knowing what she did with the car in the 6 months that she owned it. Her argument will be that you didn't provide the smog certificate as required by law. The judge will decide what you owe her, if anything.

Do you have a bill of sale, and does it include any "as is" language? That may strengthen your case

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairs to rental who is responsible? [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental home and it s my first experience with renting it out. My question is, if the tenant breaks something like the sink's drain or a cabinet's hinge is that something I should fix or should they be charged for the damage?

Requesting repairs [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting a townhouse for 3 years. My Air conditioner broke in mid April I attempted to contact my out of state landlord, asking it please be repaired or That I was willing to have it fixed and deduct the amount from the upcoming MAy rent. This was sent in a form of email, She contacted...

Home repairs [ 5 Answers ]

The hot water pressure in my bathroom wash basin has lost a lot of pressure. All the rest of the taps throughout the house are o.k. what could be the cause?

Lease provided repairs vs. Design/decorative repairs? [ 2 Answers ]

Since buying our home we have painted various rooms, replaced old doors with new nice wooden ones and changed out the old closet doors also for new ones. We have re-done the trim work (baseboards and door/window frames) in these areas too. The rest of the home is in good condition, but not newly...

Auto repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L. My problem is that the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off numerous times sometimes 5 or 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. It will only remain on for a few seconds at a time. I have replaced the coolant temperatore sensor for the ECU: also the...

View more questions Search