Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
    My son has been diagnosed with ADHD.
    Hi everyone.

Most of you know me, know that I have two wonderful children, a son that just turned 10 today, and a daughter who is 6.

Well, happy birthday to my little Jared, today at school he was analyzed by a psychologist. Some background on Jared, he's been in speech therapy since he was 4, he's always been a very active little boy. He has an extremely hard time concentrating, and he struggles allot in school.

Last year he was put into a special class for English and Math. He attended regular grade 3 in the afternoons, and struggled greatly there.

The psychologist did an assessment on him in Grade 1, and again today, and it is her opinion that he has ADHD and that we should put him on Ritalin.

I cried all the way home. I've heard so many horror stories about Ritalin, so many reasons not to give your child this drug.

Anyone else with a child that has ADHD? Anyone with a child on Ritalin? What are your experiences, good, bad, positive, negative.

We have tried everything else, and have exhausted every avenue, this is our last resort, do we do it?

Before you ask, I'm in Canada. Here in Canada they do extensive testing before giving the prognosis of ADHD, this is a factual diagnosis, not the teachers saying, ah, problem child, slow learner, hyperactive, ADHD. He has been monitored for 5 years now by the same teachers, and the same psychologist, the diagnosis is sound.

Thanks in advance for any info you have.

Alty, a very sad mom. :(
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
    There has been recent interest by physicians in using Buddhist teachings in meditation to help kids with these kinds of problems-instead of medications.

One of my bridge partner's sons is a physician and he was involved in setting up some kind of test protocol regarding this. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything more about this as I am out of contact with my former bridge player pals.

Sorry to hear that your son has this condition. :(
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Oh gosh Alty! I will help you with any research, or anything else I can hun! I'm so sorry you found this out on Jare Bears birthday! :(
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Thanks Choux.

I have heard that the proper diet can also have a big effect on kids with ADHD, but the psychologist didn't seem to think so. I realize that not allot of research has been done about changing the diet, but I have read about some success stories when going this route.

From everything I've read Ritalin is such a harsh drug, he's only 10, how can they be sure that this drug won't have lasting negative effects, or that it's only masking the problem. Will he have to be on this drug his entire life?

If there are other ways to control this then I know my doctor will find them, that's the kind of doctor he is, and thankfully he's not a pill pusher. If he thinks that Ritalin is safe and will help, then I'll give it a try. I just want to know if I have other, safer options for my little boy.

This is breaking my heart, I feel so helpless.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Oh, Alty, I am so sorry to hear this. I can assure you that diet can help... as you know, cut out red dyes in all foods as well as sugars. It's not a cure, but it sure does help... my "adopted" daughter (Rae's best friend) was diagnosed this as well and has been corrected with proper diet.

Now, as far as Ritalin, yeah, it's a nasty drug, but also a very helpful one, and a good place to start. There are others like Strattera also. I can give you the pharmacokinetics on them, but it would he hard for you to understand. So, I'll try to make it easy.

Ritalin is a stimulant. Your son's brain is constantly stimulated by outside factors. One of the great things about Ritalin is that it is a stimulant also. Now wait, why would you want to give a stimulated kid a stimulant right? I can hear you asking me that question right now.

Well, the answer to that question is that the stimulant in Ritalin aids in cutting down the natural stimulants in the brain, therefore the child is actually able to focus on the tasks at hand. He may feel like a zombie for a few days, but give it up to a month before deciding that this is not the right medication for him. It can take 4-6 weeks to reach therapeutic effects.

ADHD kids are usually EXTREMELY intelligent children and can be very artistic, Ritalin can cause the overstimulation to relax and bring out the intelligence and artistic abilities.

Oh, and Happy birthday jared!! Mom, don't cry, the diagnosis could have been worse you know.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Alty my heart goes out to Jared... God Bless him. Searching and doing all the research is the best thing. If there is anyway I can be of help please let me know.

Stringer
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Alty, I too would avoid Ritalin, until after reasonable attempts with nutrition improvements etc. have been tried. And I do know of children who have done well on Ritalin.

Several families I know have gotten help from this institution and what it tests for:

INTRODUCING THE PFEIFFER TREATMENT CENTER

Talk with your doctor about testing Jared for possible biochemical imbalances. Perhaps he will be willing to investigate further.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Thank you so much everyone.

J9, hearing it from someone in the medical field puts my mind at ease. I've heard so many bad things about Ritalin by the media, talk shows, all of that, but what you said makes sense. I do have one question though, are there any possible harmful effects from Ritalin? If so what, and how common are they?

I am just waiting for the psychologists report and then I will be going to see my doctor to discuss what we will do. They psychologist has recommended Ritalin, but if my doctor suggest something else then I'm willing to give it a try, he will exhaust every avenue to make sure Jared get's the treatment that is best.

Thanks everyone for your support. I'm done crying, for now, I'm sure the dam isn't empty though. I just love that kid so much.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Thanks everyone for your support.
    Alty, keep questioning everything. Unfortunately, I didn't figure out my older son is autistic until he was 18 and finished with high school. Autism was virtually unheard of or talked about back then, so I worked with teachers to make sure he learned how to compensate for the difficulties we knew about. We must have done all the right things because he has a good job that he loves and is successful at, and especially because he is happy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
    are there any possible harmful effects from Ritalin? If so what, and how common are they?
    Common effects are feeling like a zombie for a few days. Weight loss, sleep loss. The trick in all of these is WHEN to medicate and when not to. Ritalin should be given after a meal as it decreases the appetite, but not so late that it affects the sleep cycle. Lunch is a good time for medication.

As I said, explore diet changes, as well as disciplinary changes and focusing efforts. By this I mean a Nerf Ball that he can keep in one hand under his desk and squeeze when he feels excited. Touch therapy is also wonderful and brings the ADHD child back to reality. When Jared is not focusing, just a touch on the shoulder as the teach walks by can make all the difference in the world. Make sure that his teacher is familiar with children who have ADHD who are treated with alternative therapies. That can make a huge difference. Also discuss with the doctor alternative medicines such as Strattera or Concerta. Ritalin is usually a first-line medication.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 06:30 PM
    This site never ceases to amaze me , such insightful help from not only smart but caring people.

Alty as I said to you I don't know any answers to this so can't really give you any helpful advise. But I will say I'm here for you if you ever need anything even if it just be moral support , you know where to find me :)

Well done people

Name:  36_1_55.gif
Views: 173
Size:  11.7 KB
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Thank you J9, I feel better knowing all this. I really appreciate the info. :)

His teacher's are wonderful, so is the school counsellor, I have to say that they are the best, and they all love him so much.

All three of them where in on the meeting, and his special aid teacher gave me a hug afterwards and told me what a great little boy I have. I know that, he's got a heart of gold, I just wish he didn't have to go through this, and I want to make it as easy as possible on him, without affecting his health or his personality.

I'll keep you all updated, and I thank you so much for the support, I was a mess this afternoon, but after talking to all of you I feel better.

I love my friends! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    meditation
    I've read that too - also yoga or ta'i chi have taught any child to focus and stay centered.tau
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:50 PM
    I've thought about karate or taekwondo (sp?) do you think that would help?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I've thought about karate or taekwondo (sp?) do you think that would help?
    Yes, I'm sure those disciplines are similar in learning how to focus and be centered. Plus he will learn good verbal and physical (body language etc.) self-defense (not aggression). Visit more than one school and ask people you know for recommendations. One karate school my sons attended was mostly interested in pushing students along so they could enter karate tournaments, so we left and joined a school (dojo) that was interested in each student's mental and emotional progress plus body control.
    Pets Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
    That's what I would want as well.

The teachers have recommended an after school activity, but we haven't had time. He get's home at around 4pm and goes to bed at around 8:30, but last year it took him anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to do his homework, he just can't focus. After that, dinner and a bath, there just isn't time for anything else.

The teachers told me at the meeting today that he will be given less take home work, and that when he does get homework it will be stretched out, not all due the next day. We all think it's very important that he join some kind of outside activity, now it may be possible.

I just put the kids to bed, and when I gave my little Jare Bear a hug, I couldn't help but get tears in my eyes again. We all want the best for our kids, we want life to be as easy as possible for them, and for him it's always been hard. Things that other kids learn so easily he has to work so hard for. Reading, math, science, everything academic is difficult, it breaks my heart.

Whatever the doctor suggests and whatever path we take, I hope that learning will be easier for him, and that everything else will fall into place. I love him so much, my little boy, my first baby, I just wish I could take this away, and not being able to do it, it's so upsetting and frustrating. :(

Thanks again everyone.
    theguywithnolife Posts: 82, Reputation: 10

Sep 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
    :eek: :eek: :( :( :eek:

Sorry About That Alty.. But ADHD isn't a "all that bad thing"
    I have it slightly, I don't know how to really say it, But I'm on "Borderline" as you could say
    But It's a good thing for me. Yes it takes me FOREver to do my HW because I do have a low attention span I have the biggest imagination in my school

So don' think of it as a "BAD" thing
    I know this might not help at all, But I'm only 15 going on 16 in 4 months. I really don't know what I say is right or wrong.
    I just help
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 04:18 AM
    Get plenty of exercise. Studies are starting to show that exercise can help people who have ADHD. If you feel hyper during school, talk to a teacher about taking activity breaks so he can stay focused and concentrate better when in class. Let him take frequent activity breaks while studying or doing homework.

My friend daughter recently been diagnosed with adhd too. Her daughter is in counselling and it is helping her 8 year old daughter a lot. She also has her enroled in karate and dance. She never lacked in school, actually she is above everyone in her class and their was talk by the teacher to place her in the gifted program. Her daughter does however has a behavior problem and that's the reason we found it weird she had adhd. My friend didn't put her medicine and is seeking a second opinon but will let her stay in counseling.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 09:21 AM
    :eek: :( :eek:

Alty so sorry to hear about Jaret. Unfortunately, I'm not used to psychological illnesses, even my mom didn't know about such disease. Therefore, I'm like useless, but I'll be here to help in anyway I can. Jaret is an intellegent boy and has a wonderful mommy, who does not deserve such trials of worriness. Hopefully, hearing Choux, J_9, Wondergirl and liz, there is a treatment for it, and they know about it. I hope for you that you'll do the right choice, about that drug, Ritalin, J_9 seems confident about it. Until then, take care!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Hi everyone.

Most of you know me, know that I have two wonderful children, a son that just turned 10 today, and a daughter who is 6.

Well, happy birthday to my little Jared, today at school he was analyzed by a psychologist. Some background on Jared, he's been in speech therapy since he was 4, he's always been a very active little boy. He has an extremely hard time concentrating, and he struggles allot in school.

Last year he was put into a special class for English and Math. He attended regular grade 3 in the afternoons, and struggled greatly there.

The psychologist did an assessment on him in Grade 1, and again today, and it is her opinion that he has ADHD and that we should put him on Ritalin.

I cried all the way home. I've heard so many horror stories about Ritalin, so many reasons not to give your child this drug.

Anyone else with a child that has ADHD? Anyone with a child on Ritalin? What are your experiences, good, bad, positive, negative.

We have tried everything else, and have exhausted every avenue, this is our last resort, do we do it?

Before you ask, I'm in Canada. Here in Canada they do extensive testing before giving the prognosis of ADHD, this is a factual diagnosis, not jus the teachers saying, ah, problem child, slow learner, hyperactive, ADHD. He has been monitored for 5 years now by the same teachers, and the same psychologist, the diagnosis is sound.

Thanks in advance for any info you have.

Alty, a very sad mom. :(
    Oh, gosh - I have no experience with this, no knowledge but I just wanted to lend my support. I think like anything else you have to do your research, find a Doctor you trust and then see what works for your son - not necessarily what works for the rest of the World.

He's obviously got a caring Mom, you said he's a great kid - you just have to find what works for him - and you.

Again - no advice, don't know anything about it - just wanted to lend what little support I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagnosed with hyperthyroid [ 3 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 6 months ago, and had the iodine radiation treatment in February. For the last couple of months I feel like a different person and my doctor told me that my thyroid is "hypo" now and has given me the Synthroid tabs once a day. Its been 2 months, and still...

My brother has just been diagnosed with ADHD [ 3 Answers ]

My father died easter Monday 2006. My brother is 7 and I am 32. I have dealt with my lose because my father and I have had a very disruptive relationship (he left my mum when I was 1). My brother has had my dad with him since he was born. My stepmum has had my brother at the shrink for a couple of...

Newly Diagnosed with PCOS [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and have a Dr. appointment tomorrow. They are going to do an ultrasound and are going to start me on a medication to jump start my periods again. I am trying desperately to lose weight as I hear that that helps and now I am at an even greater risk of heart...

RSD-- my 12 yr old sister was just diagnosed [ 3 Answers ]

My little sister was diagnosed with RSD a few weeks ago. She had been in severe pain for over a month and could not walk because the pain was so bad. It started with just a spot in her leg and within a week or two it spread from her foot to the top of her hip. She went to doctor after doctor and...

Son diagnosed deaf at 17 months [ 4 Answers ]

My little son of 17 months was diagnosed deaf where from here? We do not have a medical aid how do I start a fund for him? :confused:

View more questions Search