Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Cheating
    Hello:

I am an architect. My doctor tells me that there's a drug that will make me a better architect. If I take it, will that be cheating?

excon
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 08:14 AM
    Hi,
    I had high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. The doctor has had me on medications for years now, with all those under control and normal. Does that make me a "cheating" person? no.
    Some medications, as well as some herbs (or so they say), increase the brain's capacity to think. I think that's great!
    No, I don't see you cheating at all, using your brain to even more of it's potential.
    If it means using muscle to more advantage, making you a super-human, running over others at Baseball, Football, etc, that is different.
    But I've never heard of anyone complain about having the brain think more.
    PS; I would get a second opinion about this drug, see what another doctor thinks.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Are you joshin' us excon? ;)

... wait a minute, I do think I recall now. It's not a drug, but I've heard that smoking banana peels helps draftsmen. Is that close enough? :p

What drug did the dr. refer to?
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Hello rick:

Yeah, I’m joshin. But the question I asked is real.

No, there isn’t yet a drug that will make me a better architect, but there will be. And, if it’s not a drug, maybe it will be chip that’s implanted or new genes injected. I don’t know how people will be enhanced in the future, but there’s no question that they will be.

So, the question I have remains, is any enhancement cheating? How should the law deal with this issue, now and in the future?

Certainly, an athlete cannot legally take steroids, but a carpenter can (assuming he has a prescription). Is the carpenter cheating? He can hammer twice what those who aren’t hammered can. (I couldn’t help the pun)

excon

PS> And no, neither me nor Art Vandelay are architects.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 08:43 AM
    I don't see it as cheating. If you pay a professional to do something for you, you are paying for what he will turn out for you. You only care about the end product.

With sports, isn't the prohibition against steroids that are illegal to begin with?
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Hello again, rick:

Well, he's not cheating his boss, of course. But is he cheating the carpenter working right next to him who doesn't want to take steroids (or get implants) in order to compete, or keep his job?

I think it will come to that.

excon
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
    I disagree. Lots of things in this world change. The college student now must have a computer to be able to do all the work given, and have an internet connection to get help.

Gutter hangers now need a brake (specialized equipment) to be competitive.

Etc, etc...

Yes, I realize that equipment or tools is not the same thing as a drug or implant, but as for that, the best athletes need to "enhance" their bodies in other un-natural ways (heavy weight lifting to tear and rebuild muscle, nutritional suppliments, etc.), so I don't see a difference if a drug or implant that was proven safe became 1. legal, and 2. common.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Hello again, rick:

I didn't say it WAS cheating. I was just asking. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly with you, except maybe when you say "safe". While I may or may not agree with the WAY people enhance themselves, I don't think the enhancement, in an of itself, is cheating. Improvement, as you say, is inevitable, as will be the accusation of cheating.

I'm just trying to come up with an answer, maybe even before there's a question.

Oh yeah, about "safe". NONE of the enhancements we spoke of, and of course ALL the medical enhancements to come, are NOT without risks and side effects. The question is, how much risk and side effects are you willing to endure for the purported benefits, and WHO is going to make that decision.

If given accurate information, the public along with the medical community, is much better qualified to make those decisions. The people NOT qualified are the DEA and the FTC

excon
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 09:58 AM
    You're right; I shouldn't have said "disagree", as you were just asking...
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 5, 2006, 09:37 PM
    If the drug were "approved" for use (and not illegal), I don't think it can be called "cheating". Other architect's would have the choice to use the drug as you do.
    texastova Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Yes this question is for open forum but mainly directed to excon. I have three felony drug charges on my record in two different states. I am still on parole for one. I am now working on an Electrical Engineering degree in which I am at the head of my class with a 3.85 GPA. What is my chances of obtaining employment if I graduate in 2007? I am off parole in 7 months.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Hello tex:

Chances?? A little worse than if you didn't have felony's.

If you don't succeed with expungment (more about that in a minute), you'll just need to narrow your search. I doubt very seroiusly that you'll get hired by a large company. You'll have a much better chance with a mom and pop operation or a start up. But in your biz, there ought to be plenty of them. You won't be able to cover up your past and get away with it.

Electrical engineers, in my view, will be very much in demand, so that's going to help.

With two different states involved and a very recent conviction, I suggest that expungment in either state is a long way off. However, if expungment is available, you can find out exactly what the criteria is. Most statutes require some length of time (5 -10 years) with no criminal conduct.

excon
    texastova Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Thank you for your answer. I posted a more detailed version of this story on the open forum in the criminal law section. I didn't realize that you got this message but the other one is definitely a better and more accurate message.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he cheating? [ 15 Answers ]

OK I've been dating this guy for 4 years and I'm 20 years old. Hes never cheated on me before but lately I've been so nervous. We did a long distance relationship for a little over a year while he was away at college which is only an hour away and now we go to school 5 minutes away from each...

Is she cheating? [ 28 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 18 months has been acting differently ever since we moved into our new house. I get ss disability and do not work, she works about 10 miles away. We have only one vehicle between us so I am alone at home all day, cooking and cleaning. Anymore she leaves me here alone even after...

Cheating? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a friend back home that called me earlier today and I thought I might ask her question here since I know what wonderful feedback I can get. Ok so here's her situation, She has recently been having a "gut feeling" that something isn't right in her relationship with her hubby. They have...

Is he cheating?! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a question... OK my boyfriend as far as I know has never cheated on me, but now I have this weird feeling that he has or wants to cheat on me its really odd. Here's the questions: How do I know if he is? Should I ask him? If he is what should I do? He says he wants someone...

CHeating? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this... I suspected recently that my husband was having an affair with a co-worker. At first he denied it, then eventually admiteed it was true. I was willing to try to save our marriage on the condition he quit his job and get another one, away...

View more questions Search