Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nishat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Father's rights and mother's rights
    If a father has given up DNA testing at child's birth, does he still have to give up parental rights to the child?:(
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
    No he does not give up any rights. He doesn't ever have to give a DNA test to get rights so long as he acknowlages being the father of the child and signs paperwork.

Sep 4, 2008, 01:22 PM
    The only thing he signed for both girls were rejection of DNA testing. He never signed the birth certificates or any other documents. Not even SSN forms.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:25 PM
    All that means was he did not agree to take a DNA test. The mother of the child can still force him to take a DNA test in court if she wishes to collect child support.

You can not merely give up rights to a child, you can choose not to try and get any rights, or not try to use any if you did later get some

Refusal to do a DNA test not order by a court means nothing what so ever, And all it means from the mother side, she did not understand she could force the test though court and get child support.

Sep 4, 2008, 01:28 PM
    The mother doesn't care about the child support... She is wanting him to give up legal rights to the children so she can move on. She was told that she had to have a DNA test done in order for her to have a leg to stand on without going through C/S. She says that she has one child that she raised for 8 plus years on her own and can do it again without the so called father.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
    A DNA test is not admissible in court unless its court ordered and approved. It doesn't mean its wrong its just the way courts like to do it. If he's not on any paperwork then why bother. Normally states won't allow a TPR without another parent to take the place of the original one ( as in adoption ). I stand by what I had said and she needs to go to court and formalize everything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:54 PM
    And so she moves on, she is not going to get his rights taken away and he can not just sign his rights over unless she has a new partner to adopt the child. Since he has not taken a DNA test, and has not visited in 8 year, it appears she can just move on unless he is now wanting some visits rights or something

Sep 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Thank you both. I will let her know what you both have said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visititing mother's rights [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has sole legal custody of his 2 year old son. The mother has supervised visitations ( the person that was ordered to be the supervisor is her sister) every Wednesday from 530 to 730 and the first three saturdays a month. When she does show up to pick their son up she is always 30-60...

Mother's rights not to be hasseled by father of child. [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has a 6 week old son by a guy she had a casual sexual relationship. The father has not contributed anything in the support of this child. All he has done is come to the hospital the day after his birth to get a saliva sample for a DNA test through the mail. Turns out it is his child...

A Father's rights [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé has 5 childeren with his ex. The youngest, is now 10 months old and has been in our care in our home for the last 5 months. She has had every opportunity to visit, and just dosen't. When she does come for a visit, she only spends 5 or 10 minutes. With him, and rarely touches or holds...

Single Mother's father of her son wants to sign his rights away [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of a 11 month old and I have been trying to get the father of my son to be involved in his sons life I have not asked for money but I did recently go through the attorney general and he requested the paternity testing and of course he showed to be the father which he just was...

View more questions Search