Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Installing programmable thermostat?
    I just purchase a new Honeywell RTH4300B programmable thermostat for my oil furnace. My old thermostat was a White-Rodgers and was connected with 2 wires; one red and one black. There was no coding on the terminals and everywhere I look they are always talking about a red and a whir wire. I think I can figure out where to put the red wire but where do I connect the black one? When I look at the connection on the furnace it says, right above the black wire connection, load. Can anyone help me??

Thank you.
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 03:36 PM
    A thermostat is basically the same as a switch, so the colors on your wires are irrelevant. How many different spots do you have on your thermostat to connect your wires, and how are they marked? With this info I should be able to help you.

Sep 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Thanks thommyschnak, I have 7 different spots and they are marked as follow: W, Y, G, Rc, R & B.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Daniel (my real name)

Sep 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Correction to the previous answer. I have only 6 spots. My misatke.

Thanks again.

Daniel.
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Like I said above your thermostat is just a switch, all it does is complete the circuit. In your case you will simply connect your red wire from the wall to your terminal marked "R", and your black wire to the terminal marked "W". You can actually test your furnace by touching and holding the black and red wires together, and your furnace should turn on. Next take the wires apart and put them on the terminals like I explained above, and program your new thermostat... Have Fun:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing programmable Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading my old cheap mercury thermostat with a Honeywell programmable model - RTH6300B (a 5-2). When I removed the old unit there were two wires - black & white (labelled B and W). The new unit has 6 connections - C,G,W,Y,R & Rc. There are a number of alternate letters given: C - X or...

Installing a programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Im having a problem installing my new programmable thermostat. The connected wires on the old mercury one are Y, Rc, W, B, G. The ones on the new one are G, Rc, Rh, Y/O, W/B, Y1 and I can't figure out where to put them off the diagram that they sent in the package.

Installing Programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

We have moved into a home that had no furnace, and we are installing a carrier brand furnace, and have a programmable thermostat to install. We have had this thermostat for a while, so I have lost the installation instructions. Every thing I have found on the net say to label the wires when...

Installing a Programmable Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Carrier thermostat and want to install a new programmable thermostat. The thermostat has 5 wires (red, yellow, green, blue and white). All of the programmable thermostats only instruct you on how to install with 3 or 4 wires. Does anyone have a suggestion on a...

View more questions Search