Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joydesign Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Noise of central AC
    I just got a new central air conditioning for my 2100 square feet houes with one 14"x30" and 14"x14" air return. The air returns make very loud noise. My contractor said that is normal, but I don't think so. The inspector from township said they used R-6.0 ducts instead of R-8.0 ducts. Is the duct size influence the noise? How to solve this problem
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
    If you have a whistling or allot of wind noise it may be due to the small 6" ducts that you have. I would have your contractor back to replace your 6" ducts with 8" ducts, and just explain that you can't stand the noise.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 04:44 PM
    If the noise is coming from the return air duct you may can change to a different return air grill, one with more unrestricted area and heavier vanes. The thinner vanes vibrate and hum making noise and they set a harmonic wave that is very big nuisance.
    Another thing you can do is to lind the inside of your return area with a stiff sheet of insulation glued to the inside walls of the area.

Sep 5, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thommyschnak
    If you have a whistling or allot of wind noise it may be due to the small 6" ducts that you have. I would have your contractor back to replace your 6" ducts with 8" ducts, and just explain that you can't stand the noise.
    My contractor refuse to change the ducts for me. He said that is normal because the unit on the attic and close to the air return, so 6" same as 8". Should I believe him? What can I do? This is a big headache to me. Anyone can help me, I really appreciate!

Sep 5, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    If the noise is coming from the return air duct you may can change to a different return air grill, one with more unrestricted area and heavier vanes. The thinner vanes vibrate and hum making noise and they set a harmonic wave that is very big nuisance.
    Another thing you can do is to lind the inside of your return area with a stiff sheet of insulation glued to the inside walls of the area.

Where can I find the heavier vanes? I want to try it.

Thank You!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
    You may have to go to a Heating and Air Conditioning company, these were always used more for comericial work.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
    If you have one return air duct at 6 inch. What size is the other. I hope not 6 or 8 inch. What size unit do you have.

Sep 6, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    If you have one return air duct at 6 inch. what size is the other. I hope not 6 or 8 inch. What size unit do you have.

I have Rheem 14 seer air-cooled condensing unit and 4 Ton 15 seer high efficiency Air Handler(R-410A). I don't know if the 6" duct match the unit. How can I find out?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Your going to need a lot more return air duct than 6". Your going to need a 18" or larger to go along with that 6" duct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ductless Central AC vs Regular central AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I received a brochure from my power company telling me I should consider "ductless" ac versus the traditional ac cooling unit. What are the differences between the two? The only thing the brochure said was that ductless was more friendly to the environment. Thanks

Central AC Noise [ 1 Answers ]

When I have my central Ac on the air coming through the registers is extremely loud. I have a Trane XL12 for an 1100 square foot house. My return is 12x24. Is this too small? Could that be the problem? Do I need to add more registers to large rooms like the living room? I only have 1 in the...

Central air compressor noise [ 3 Answers ]

When my central air compressor kicks on it makes a loud vibrating noise that can be heard and felt in my second floor bedroom.After it kicks in it works and sounds fine .What could be causeing this loud vibrating sound

Central AC outside noise [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Rheem 10 Seer 9 year old Central AC. While running it cools and is quiet. As is shuts down the most awful noise is generated outside (condensing unit). We have had it evacuated and recharged, new condenser fan motor and electrical contactor replaced. Inside Evaporation coil is not...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search