Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rat9990 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Receptacle GFCI
    I have a GFCI Receptacle is my main bathroom that is not working at all it has 1 black wire 1 white wire and a ground, I have the same outlet in my other bathroom and it works fine it has 2 black wires 1 white wire and a ground, I was wondering if the lack of a black wire is my problem or can it be wired without.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Are these outlets on the same circuit? The non working GFI may have just gone bad. They do that. There may be some other problem. I can't imagine the working GFI having 2 black wires and only one white. It could be that the non working GFI is wired from the working GFI and something is wrong at the working GFI location. Check again for a second white wire.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Could be that the second black wire is going to another receptacle in the circuit to provide GFCI protection there too. You'd have to tell us how the two black wires are connected to the GFCI to know for sure.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Yes Bob, but you would still have to have a second white. Right now I'm guessing that it's there but has become disconnected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know If You Can Install A Gfci Recep. On A Shared Neutral Circuit.

GFCI Breaker vs Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding some 20A circuits in my garage/shop and know that they have to be GFCI protected. My question is this: Is there an advantage to using a GFCI breaker over just putting a GFCI receptacle in the first slot of the series? Thanks.

GFCI Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Do they make a slimline GFCI Receptacle? I have some very narrow metal eletrical boxes in my kitchen and the regular size GFI will not fit.

Installing a gfci receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a gfci receptacle in my offfice( replacing the existing regular receptacle) I have two black wires that were wrapped together , two gray wrapped together, one single blue and one green. I followed the directions and think I got all the wires to the right place. The test light...

View more questions Search