Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 30, 2008, 10:10 AM

I think people like that, do it because of their own insecurities. They need to bring you down below their level, just in order to feel good about themselves. She is likely the type that doesn't have any real friends, because she feels inadequate.

My sister has a friend just like this, and she is as phony as a $3 bill. Everyone I know has her "number". Both in the litteral and figurative sense. She is a pretty girl, but she becomes really ugly when you get to know her. She struts her 'stuff' around, and likes to critique everyone else in the room, when in reality, she can't keep any friends, and she has never been able to hold on to any man, and she is in her mid 40's.

So, the way I see her, is that she can't stand to see average looking people (or below/above average) having close friends, or seeing them happily married, because she hasn't been able to achieve that because of her holier than thou attitude.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I think people like that, do it because of their own insecurities. They need to bring you down below their level, just in order to feel good about themselves. She is likely the type that doesn't have any real friends, because she feels inadequate.

My sister has a friend just like this, and she is as phony as a $3 bill. Everyone I know has her "number". Both in the litteral and figurative sense. She is a pretty girl, but she becomes really ugly when you get to know her. She struts her 'stuff' around, and likes to critique everyone else in the room, when in reality, she can't keep any friends, and she has never been able to hold on to any man, and she is in her mid 40's.

So, the way I see her, is that she can't stand to see average looking people (or below/above average) having close friends, or seeing them happily married, because she hasn't been able to achieve that because of her holier than thou attitude.

I always think these people are terribly insecure - they seem to have some need to impress themselves because pretty much nobody else is paying any attention.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 2, 2008, 05:10 AM

I hear you guys... but it doesn't erase the fact that I was put in an awkward position and it was no fun for me... I did act overly polite and "sunny"... It would be nice if people just gave everyone an equal opportunity.

How would she have felt if I walked up to her and gave her an up and down look, then started giving her attitude. Every time I tried to contribute to a conversation she'd interrupt me w/ a counter point! Like it was a debate!! For goodness sakes...

I get very tired of trying to be nice to jelouse people. My mother always used to tell me when I was a young girl that when you're beautiful it's very similar to being very unattractive... socially. It's equally hard to find your niche, even if it is for opposite reasons. She said that I have to prove my worth... show people how funny I am, how smart, how loyal, how trustworthy I am... the list goes on. I have found some very good friends in my life... None of them think a lick about "looks"...

Luckily we age as humans. It works for me...

Thing is, as hard as it is for me to believe... I still have to deal w/ this woman in my life and it brings me back to the crappy days where I used to worry about my social standing... (like high school). We're ADULTS now... why do I let myself get drawn in? I'm so stupid sometimes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Which one is more important?b2b or b2c? [ 3 Answers ]

Which one is more important ; B2B Marketing or B2C Marketing?

Why is SEX so important to us all if. [ 8 Answers ]

Why is SEX so important to us all if it takes up sooooo little of our total time?? For example - the experts tell us that people in a "healthy" married relationship should have sex 2 or 3 times per week on average (personally - I think it is more like 1 or 2 after being married for 7 years or...

Even though its not too important [ 2 Answers ]

Omgggg! I have nothing to do what so ever, all my friends are busy today... and I can't think of anything to do, I'm not having fun online... and I don't know what to do. I mean I love to write, draw and read but I don't feel like doing any of those things... sooo... my problem is, I'm bored. Give...

Is Sex Really that Important [ 7 Answers ]

Long story short version. Been with my boyfriend for a year, we're in love and live together. He bought me a beautiful promise ring for our anniversary. Pretty average sex life except that I practically have to for it. I'm not even able to get him in the mood. There's nowhere I can touch him,...

Which is more important? [ 1 Answers ]

The city I live in is having a huge ice storm. The driving conditions are horrible and there are several thousands of people without electricity because of the ice. My fiancé works at a retail store. I asked him to call in because I didn't want him on the road and the news was advising people to...

View more questions Search