Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    I don't, because Jesus Himself said that He was not speaking of actual flesh.

John 6:61-64
    61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
    NKJV

Further, it would be sinful if Jesus were to have commanded cannibalism. Cannibalism is seen as a sign of wickedness, and a judgment against those who turn away from God, for example:

Isa 9:18-20
    18 For wickedness burns as the fire;
    It shall devour the briers and thorns,
    And kindle in the thickets of the forest;
    They shall mount up like rising smoke.
    19 Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts
    The land is burned up,
    And the people shall be as fuel for the fire;
    No man shall spare his brother.
    20 And he shall snatch on the right hand
    And be hungry;
    He shall devour on the left hand
    And not be satisfied;
    Every man shall eat the flesh of his own arm.
    NKJV

Jesus says in John 6 that those who believed that He commended eating of actual flesh were those who betrayed Him.

I know that there are many who believe it to be true, but I will stand by what scripture says.
    I realize this is difficult for you to accept, but Christ was speaking of His own flesh. The flaw, once again, is interpreting scripture with a lack of foundation in the Tradition of the RC.

This is the difficulty that Sola Scripturist or Bible Only renditions encounter. Your interpretation above fails miserably. Doesn’t it seem the least bit strange that Christ would say, in John 6: 55 “He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life,” and as a consequence of that “hard” saying lose his following, and then seemingly making a 180 degree turn in thought? Why would Christ insist on the vulgar eating of human flesh and then turn around and say, “It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing.” Were the Apostles to understand this to mean that they were to eat his flesh but it wouldn’t bring them any understanding? Or were the apostles to understand this to mean not to eat his flesh; saying this right after, “eat my flesh”? To believe the latter would mean that Christ was schizophrenic. To believe the former would mean that Christ was addled. The third and correct meaning of this passage leads to the Eucharist.

Apostolic tradition is the living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit preserving the original intent of the Scripture. Looking at verse 63, in John 6, through the tradition of the Church we see a play on opposite meaning words, “sprit” and “flesh”. A literary technique allows us to picture a spiritual understanding as efficacious and the understanding through flesh as inefficacious. Still better, another way of saying it is that he, who receives understanding spiritually profits, and he receives understanding carnally, profits nothing. (Cf. St. Chrysostom on John, HOMILY XLVII)

“But what is, “understands carnally”? It is looking merely to what is before our eyes, without imagining anything beyond. This is understanding carnally. But we must not judge thus by sight, but must look into all mysteries with the eyes within. This is seeing spiritually. He that eateth not His flesh, and drinketh not His blood, hath no life in him. How then doth “the flesh profit nothing,” if without it we cannot live? Seest thou that the words, “the flesh profiteth nothing,” are spoken not of His own flesh, but of carnal hearing?” (Cf. St. Chrysostom on John, HOMILY XLVII)

Cannibalism doesn’t enter the discussion as transubstantiation, transforming from bread and wine to the essence of body and blood Christ, removes the objection of eating Christ’s flesh not having the intrinsic accidents of flesh. So in God’s infinite mercy He has provided every inducement for you to partake of the sacrament, and removed every objection.

JoeT
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
    JoeT777,
    Once again well said and well done.
    It demonstrates the VALUE of Holy Spirit inspired theology in the Apostolic Tradition of The Church.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777
    Are you not just picking through verses just to bolster your argument? How much more explicit can a verse be? This is figurative and the rest are binding? John 6:48 I am the bread of life…If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world…Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you…55 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 56 For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 57 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him. 58 As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. 59 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

JosephT
    There is a difference in what we agree upon when what I believe is the nourishment of God's Word is Jesus. His body and blood are the flesh of this earth given as the worthy sacrifice for sin. [That was physical flesh]

The bread of eatting, known as the flesh, will feed the soul. Our souls belong to God. Christ's flesh sacrifice was for on earth intended and given to bring our souls home. So as it is written throughout the scriptures we are to eat of Spiiritual Truth for it will nourish our souls. Quote: Not like the manna that was given to nourish in hunger.

This is a physical world on earth, and heaven is spiritual. Physical substance is not the treasure because anything physical can be taken away, lost or stolen.

The bread of life is not a physical substance, but it is a spiritual nourishment that can not be lost, stolen or taken away. Spiritual nourishment is digested within the mind, heart and soul. With this bread of life our souls do have everlasting life.

Christ said [I will give you..] And He, Himself did indeed give us that bread. No one else can hand you the bread of life. Christ gave it to you, and said eat and drink what I give you.

1 Corinthians 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura
    Tj3
    It is not cannibalism as you and the ancient pagans claimed.
    Fred,

Eating human flesh is cannibalism - you cannot define it any other way.

It is bread that has been consecrates into Christ's body as He said.
    You claim this, but then you ignore what He said when He explained what He said that it symbolized.

There is no sense discussing this any further with you.
    You mind is made up as is mine.
    Yep, I made up my mind years ago to submit my beliefs to scripture.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 06:47 AM

Yep, I made up my mind years ago to submit my beliefs to scripture.

Thus deny thyself and man of this world, to follow Christ.. The Word is Christ Jesus.. This was even a warning to Peter, that what is written of Christ is Truth.. And Peter was told for him to speak contrary was an offence unto Christ.

Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any [man] will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
    I realize this is difficult for you to accept, but Christ was speaking of His own flesh. The flaw, once again, is interpreting scripture with a lack of foundation in the Tradition of the RC.
    I allow scripture to translate it rather than insist that scripture be bent to force fit a manmade denominational theological system. I prefer to hear what God has to say, than follow the traditions of man.

This is the difficulty that Sola Scripturist or Bible Only renditions encounter. Your interpretation above fails miserably. Doesn't it seem the least bit strange that Christ would say, in John 6: 55 “He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life,” and as a consequence of that “hard” saying lose his following, and then seemingly making a 180 degree turn in thought?
    Actually, if you read the whole chapter, you will find a consistent message.

John 6:26-28
    26 Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."
    NKJV

This builds on from when Jesus blessed the food and a miracle occurred where so many people were fed by such little food. Jesus is starting the sermon based upon that incident and speaking about the food that they eat being the food that perishes. He then tells us that He will give food that does not perish. This brings up the first problem, because as we know, not only did the manna (bread) in the desert perish when the Israelites tried to store it for too long, but we also know that human blood and human flesh will indeed perish and will indeed go bad if it it left for too long. Therefore to interpret this as referring to human flesh and blood, we have our first problem. Keep this in mind as we get closer to the end and find out what Jesus says that He is speaking about and we will find out why the bread that He speaks of will never perish.

John 6:27-28
    27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." 28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"
    NKJV

Following from that, the question put to Jesus is: "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"

John 6:29
    29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
    NKJV

Jesus then goes on to clarify the theme/context.

John 6:29-33
    30 Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' " 32 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
    NKJV

The bread from heaven which he is speaking about is compared to the manna which came down in the desert in Exodus chapter 16. The bread of haven however, Jesus says in verse 35 of John 6 is He.

John 6:33-35
    33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34 Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always." 35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
    NKJV

They ask for the bread of life, and Jesus explains that they have seen him and yet do not believe. Thus again this appears to confirm that He is the bread that they seek.

John 6:36-42
    36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day." 41 The Jews then complained about Him, because He said, "I am the bread which came down from heaven." 42 And they said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that He says, 'I have come down from heaven'?"
    NKJV

He said in different ways that he is the bread that came from heaven but they did not appear to understand or believe.

John 6:42-47
    43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.
    NKJV

Note that Jesus says that He is the bread of life and that whosoever eats that bread shall live and not die. Further, we are told that those who ate the flesh in the wilderness died. The bread in the desert, the manna, was simply symbolic of Jesus, with Jesus being the true bread of life.

John 6:47-56
    47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." 52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" 53 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.
    NKJV

Jesus says that we need to eat his flesh and drink his blood, and if we do, we receive eternal life. Let's continue in John 6, for now we are at the verses which are used to justify the manmade tradition doctrine of transubstantiation holds firmly to the view that we need to actually be cannibals and eat the flesh of Jesus and to drink His actual blood. Sound exegetical analysis of scripture requires that we use the literal meaning unless the context clearly indicates otherwise. In this case, we need to read the full context and not just stop here if we need to find if indeed this is referring to actual human flesh and blood.

John 6:54-61
    55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven--not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever." 59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum. 60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, "This is a hard saying; who can understand it?"
    NKJV

Eating the flesh that Jesus speaks of and eating the blood means that we abide in Jesus and will live forever. Note: Taken literally, up to this point, this appears to provide a second means of salvation – if we were to eat His flesh and drink His blood, we gain eternal life. Is that what is meant? If we were to stop here, it would appear that the Catholic denominational tradition is right. But to stop without reading the full context would not be using sound Biblical exegesis, so lets continue on.

John 6:60-64
    61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
    NKJV

Now Jesus now says that the flesh profits nothing. This appears contrary to verses 53-4 that state that we need to eat his flesh and drink his blood, and if we do, we receive eternal life, but then Jesus clarifies by stating that Jesus says that the words are the spirit and the life. This is why it is important to continue on and read the full context because Jesus has just struck to the very heart of the doctrine of transubstantiation by saying that the flesh does not profit us at all. Rather He says, that the life comes from the spirit, not the flesh and it is the words that bring the spirit.

Words = spirit = life, Flesh does not profit anything.

This is in harmony with what Jesus said in Matthew chapter 4:

Matt 4:3-4
    3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
    KJV

It is God's word that brings life and the spirit, not eating the flesh. Therefore, even if the bread were changed to flesh, there would be no benefit from eating it. Now, remember earlier in this document, it was noted that human flesh and blood do perish and yet the bread that Jesus offered did not perish? Here is the explanation. Jesus was not speaking of bread, or of blood or of flesh but was speaking of the words of God which bring life. God word and the life which comes from God's word (the Gospel) are eternal. Bread, flesh and blood are perishable, but God's word and salvation which comes from receiving the gospel are eternal.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 12, 2008, 10:00 AM
    In post #22 I asked ANY CATHOLIC a question. So far, none has come up with an answer. I assume it is because of faulty theology on their part. I still wait.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    In post #22 I asked ANY CATHOLIC a question. So far, none has come up with an answer. I assume it is because of faulty theology on their part. I still wait.
    That is an excellent question! I am very interested to see if any of them have an answer.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1

I believe I did ====>> see my post no. 26 (link)

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
    It was no more valid then when I wrote:
    In Matthew 13:55 we see the clansmen of Christ, called brothers and sisters as was the custom, who were children of Mary of Cleophas, sister of the Ever Virgin Mary: refer to Matt 27:56, and John 19:25.
    Most scholars agree that adelphos means physical brothers, whereas if a broader relationship is indicated, the word which would be used is anepsios. The term is used here:

Col 4:10-11
    10 Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, with Mark the cousin of Barnabas (about whom you received instructions: if he comes to you, welcome him),
    NKJV

Further, we have prophetic testimony from the OT. In a Messianic reference in Psalms we find:

Ps 69:8
    8 I have become a stranger to my brothers,
    And an alien to my mother's children;
    NKJV

It is hard to argue that His mother's children are nor his brothers and sisters.

With proper Hermeneutics we see in the Old Testament the word “brother” to express a broad kinship or clanship as well as the word indicating siblings.
    You may not be aware but the books of Matthew and John are part of the NT, not the OT. When we discuss passage in the OT, we can see what it says in context.

If we were to argue for the literal interpretation of "brother" so as to insist on Jesus having siblings in this instance, then wouldn't that redefine John 19:26-27?
    The context of this is clear, therefore your argument here does not hold.

And to the Eucharist we find the bible to be literal.

John 6:48 I am the bread of life…If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world…Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you…55 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 56 For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 57 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him. 58 As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. 59 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.
    If you take this literally, why do you not accept Jesus' explanation of what He meant to be literal? Why did you not continue to quote the rest of what He said?

John 6:63-64
    63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
    John 6:63-64
    63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
    NKJV
    See my priovious post ====>>>> (click here)

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
    See my priovious post ====>>>> (click here)
    JoeT
    Maybe you should actually engage in the discussion that we are having.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 10:54 PM
    I Actually, if you read the whole chapter, you will find a consistent message. Christ was telling them they weren’t seeking Him rather a full belly. Because even those they say miracles, eat miracles, it wasn’t Christ they were seeking.
    John 6:26-29
    26 Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."
    27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." 28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"
    29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent." NKJV
    Christ was saying, “It was not, He says, the miracle of the loaves that astonished you, but the being filled.” St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on the Gospel of John. It was the crowd that demanded to see how the trick was done. Christ immediately replied that, “this is the work of God”
    Unfortunately we see nothing of the poor refrigeration system of the Jews, nor do we see Manna gone bad. Christ clarifies nothing in verse 29 except to challenge the Jews when he proclaims, “[God] that you believe in him who hath sent.”
    Christ was reproaching the crowd because they wanted proof in the form of more miracles when they already partook of the Eucharist and failed to notice the “real presence” of Christ. St. John Chrysostom tells us to consider that Christ was saying, “You seek Me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the bread, and were filled; He touched them by the reproof, He showed them what food they ought to seek, saying, Labor not for the meat that perishes; He set before them the prize, saying, but that which endures unto everlasting life; then provided a remedy for what might have been an objection, by declaring that He was sent from the Father.” And yet the crowd still has the audacity to ask for the “formula” of how the miracle is done.
    John 6:29-33
    30 Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will you do? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' “32 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven.
    Nothing more senseless, nothing more unreasonable, than these men! While the miracle was yet in their hands, as though none had been done, they spoke after this manner, What sign do you show? And having thus spoken, they do not even allow Him the right of choosing the sign, but think to force Him to exhibit none other than such a one as was wrought in the days of their fathers; wherefore they say, Our fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, thinking by this to provoke Him to work such a miracle as might supply them with carnal nourishment. Else why did they mention none other of the miracles of old, though many took place in those times, both in Egypt and at the sea and in the wilderness, but only that of the manna? St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on the Gospel of John
    The “Real Presence” is what Christ offers the throng; and both you and this horde demand none other than “manna from heaven,” thereby lowering Christ to the status of Moses.
    T he bread from heaven which he is speaking about is compared to the manna which came down in the desert in Exodus chapter 16. The bread of haven however, Jesus says in verse 35 of John 6 is He. But Christ tells the people, “Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven.” Nevertheless, “Because the infirmity of His hearers was great... For not even when He had spoken thus did He secure their attention, although He said at first, You seek Me, not because ye saw the miracle, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. John 6:26”

John 6:33-35
    33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34 Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always." 35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. NKJV
    Christ proclaims to the horde of people that God had sent life unto the world that everyone may see (Cf. (John 6:40), not only is the “Real Presence” in the form of bread, but we are to look to this bread for life. This said after they had eaten with carnal knowledge. Later the crowd demands this “bread,” which Christ proclaimed was the bread of life, and if you hunger and believe in Christ “he shall never thirst.”
    “And Jesus said to them: I am the bread of life. He that cometh to me shall not hunger: and he that believeth in me shall never thirst. “But I said unto you that you also have seen me, and you believe not (John 6:35). All that God gives to Christ will be risen on the last day (Cf John 6:40)
    John 6:36-42
    36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day." 41 The Jews then complained about Him, because He said, "I am the bread which came down from heaven." 42 And they said, "Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that He says, 'I have come down from heaven'?" NKJV
    Those risen will be only those to be risen in the last days are those “who see the Son.” If Christ is speaking of a spiritual “word” as the bread of life, how then do we “see” Christ unless it’s in the Eucharist? Words mean things, Christ’s words create. Then should we take this figuratively, so that your private sensitivities are maintained. Or should we “see” Christ in the “Real Presence”?
    John 6:42-47
    43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. NKJV
    The multitude ate of the bread of life with knowing only the carnal aspects; it filled the belly, without seeing the truth revealed by spiritual truth standing before them. Yet they murmur. They don’t know how or what to make of these sayings, what to make of this man they called the son of Joseph; again they were more lost in their habit of believing beyond that which can be measured by the senses.

John 6:47-56
    47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." 52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" 53 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. NKJV
    John 6:48 I am the bread of life…If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world…Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you…55 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. 56 For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. 57 He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him. 58 As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. 59 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

No play on word, direct simple language, understood then and understood now. “I am the bread,” eat and drink and you will have “life in you”. Eat and you will be raise. Eat my flesh, drink my blood and live. Little doubt as to what Christ meant.

Matt 26:Take ye and eat. This is my body 27 And taking the chalice, he gave thanks and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins. 29 And I say to you, I will not drink from henceforth of this fruit of the vine until that day when I shall drink it with you new in the kingdom of my Father.

In Mathew we see, “This IS my body”. What is not written here is "this is like my body"; "this is symbolic of my body". What is done here is the first transubstantiation; "the transition of one thing into another in some aspect of being"; from bread and wine to the essence of Christ. The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist
    John 6:55-64
    Doesn’t it seem the least bit strange that Christ would say, in John 6: 55 “He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life,” and as a consequence of that “hard” saying lose his following, and then seemingly making a 180 degree turn in thought? Why would Christ insist on the vulgar eating of human flesh and then turn around and say, “It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing.” Were the Apostles to understand this to mean that they were to eat his flesh but it wouldn’t bring them any understanding? Or were the apostles to understand this to mean not to eat his flesh; saying this right after, “eat my flesh”? To believe the latter would mean that Christ was schizophrenic. To believe the former would mean that Christ was addled. The third and correct meaning of this passage leads to the Eucharist.

Apostolic tradition is the living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit preserving the original intent of the Scripture. Looking at verse 63, in John 6, through the tradition of the Church we see a play on opposite meaning words, “sprit” and “flesh”. A literary technique allows us to picture a spiritual understanding as efficacious and the understanding through flesh as inefficacious. Still better, another way of saying it is that he, who receives understanding spiritually profits, and he receives understanding carnally, profits nothing. (Cf. St. Chrysostom on John, HOMILY XLVII)

“But what is, “understands carnally”? It is looking merely to what is before our eyes, without imagining anything beyond. This is understanding carnally. But we must not judge thus by sight, but must look into all mysteries with the eyes within. This is seeing spiritually. He that eateth not His flesh, and drinketh not His blood, hath no life in him. How then doth “the flesh profit nothing,” if without it we cannot live? Seest thou that the words, “the flesh profiteth nothing,” are spoken not of His own flesh, but of carnal hearing?” (Cf. St. Chrysostom on John, HOMILY XLVII)

In summary, the Apostle John instructs us in the sacrament of the Eucharist that provides an everlasting spiritual life by encompassing the carnal senses spiritually with the body and blood of Christ.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Christ was saying, “It was not, He says, the miracle of the loaves that astonished you, but the being filled.”
    It is not the miracle vs being filled as you claim, it was that they were seeking food for their stomach, not Christ is what scripture says. The message here is that Jesus is comparing food which goes into your mouth in comparison to, or symbolic of the real food which He provides. Food which provides eternal life.

I have no interest in establishing my doctrine on the opinions of men, whether it be John Chrysostom or anyone else. My doctrine is established on the word of God.

The “Real Presence” is what Christ offers the throng;
    If by that you mean that He offers the chance to eat Him, no He does not. That is your claim, but you have yet to establish it. Simply making the statement does not make it true.

and both you and this horde demand none other than “manna from heaven,” thereby lowering Christ to the status of Moses.
    Interesting claim when what i seek is what Jesus said to seek - the word of God - whereas you tell us to eat wafers/cookies.

No play on word, direct simple language, understood then and understood now. “I am the bread,” eat and drink and you will have “life in you”. Eat and you will be raise. Eat my flesh, drink my blood and live. Little doubt as to what Christ meant.
    I find it funny that whenever I have this discussion with Catholics, it is hard as pulling hen's teeth to get them to read beyond that verse, because Christ then goes on to explain the symbolism, and to condemn those who believe that He is speaking of cannibalizing His body as betraying Him.

John 6:60-64
    61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
    NKJV

In Mathew we see, “This IS my body”. What is not written here is "this is like my body"; "this is symbolic of my body". What is done here is the first transubstantiation; "the transition of one thing into another in some aspect of being"; from bread and wine to the essence of Christ. The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist
    Just as with John 6, taking verses out of context leaves a person at risk of misleading and false doctrine. First is to understand what it is that they are doing at this supper. It is the passover feast. Passover is where the perfect lambs were sacrificed to save the people, which is symbolic of the sacrifice on the cross. The blood of the lambs had no effect - we are told that in Hebrews - it is symbolic.

So when He said - this is my body, it is a reflection on the passover feast and the symbolism. He was saying - "I am the perfect lamb of God prophesied by the passover feast.". Further, it could not be His blood and flesh that they were eating - He was there in front of them. What did He say that they were drinking?

Matt 26:28-29
    28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
    NKJV

The blood had not yet been shed on the cross. This was before the event. It is therefore symbolic of that which was to come. Further proof is that Jesus makes it clear what it was that theyw ere drinking in reality:

Matt 26:29
    29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."
    NKJV

They were drinking of the "fruit of the vine". It was wine, not blood. Jesus said so Himself.

Doesn't it seem the least bit strange that Christ would say, in John 6: 55 “He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life,” and as a consequence of that “hard” saying lose his following, and then seemingly making a 180 degree turn in thought?
    Jesus often said things to get people's attention and then explained what He meant. Are you saying that He lied when He said that He was NOT speaking of actual flesh and blood? Why would He explain it that way if it were not true?

Why would Christ insist on the vulgar eating of human flesh and then turn around and say, “It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing.”
    Because He wanted to show who it was who understood what He was really saying and who those were who would betray Him:

John 6:60
    60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, "This is a hard saying; who can understand it?"
    NKJV

They said, as you are, that it is hard to understand why He said it that way.

John 6:61-65
    61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."
    NKJV

Do we stand with the Apostles who understood that it was His word that give life? Or do we stand with those who thought that He commanded them to sin in cannibalism, and then betrayed Him?

That is the question that what we are left with. I will stand with Jesus and His word.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 13, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I believe I did ====>> see my post no. 26 (link)

JoeT
    Here you correctly argue that those Jesus called His mother, and brethren, was to be understood in a spiritual sense. Why then do you insist that the words spoken at the Last Supper be understood in a literal, carnal sense? As TJ has pointed out repeatedly, Jesus explained that what He gives is spiritual. When scripture and dogma differ, I choose scripture, and yes, there are several instances when they clash.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 08:12 PM
    What do you guys think of PZ myers' desecration of a communion wafer?

Outlined at the bottom of this post on his blog: Pharyngula: The Great Desecration
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    What do you guys think of PZ myers' desecration of a communion wafer?

Outlined at the bottom of this post on his blog: Pharyngula: The Great Desecration
    In reality, there is no more significance than to do the same thing to any cracker. However, I think that what he did is wrong and I would oppose it because it appears that his action had no other purpose than to offend Catholics.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 02:21 AM
    In reality, there is no more significance than to do the same thing to any cracker. However, I think that what he did is wrong and I would oppose it because it appears that his action had no other purpose than to offend Catholics.
    Would it have offended you if he had done it with a page of the bible? Would you ever yourself destroy a bible, even if you had several more at home? After all, in reality, it's just the same as any book.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Would it have offended you if he had done it with a page of the bible? Would you ever yourself destroy a bible, even if you had several more at home? After all, in reality, it's just the same as any book.
    They consider the cracker/wafer to be God or a god. I would oppose doing it to their cracker/wafer simply out of respect for the people, not the cracker/wafer. Further, I do not consider the Bible to be God or a god, but rather it is the written word of God. One cannot destroy His words by putting a nail through a book. Thus, while it would show disrespect for my faith and my God, all they are doing is damaging paper, and perhaps wasting some of their own money to buy the book. I recognize that there are many, indeed the majority, who do not recognize or accept the God that I worship, and would take it with that perspective. I would therefore not be personally offended and would remain open to sharing the gospel with him. After all, God came to earth manifest in the flesh, and was nailed to the cross by those who rejected Him, and what was His response?

Luke 23:34
    Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."
    NKJV

Would I destroy a Bible? If I have a Bible which is old and no longer able to serve any useful purpose (pages torn and falling out, maybe many are missing), why not? If however, it is still useful, and I have several, I would rather give it to someone else to make use of it for the same reason that I would do so with anything else which may still serve a useful purpose.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 14, 2008, 06:30 AM
    One cannot destroy His words by putting a nail through a book.
    One can burn a book and destroy with the book also the letters. But not all books!
    For many centuries "christians" destroyed those who were non-christian by burning them. But not all non-christians!

Afterall, God came to earth manifest in the flesh, and was nailed to the cross by those who rejected Him...
    That is what you BELIEVE !

:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth of Jesus Christ [ 11 Answers ]

When was Jesus Christ born ?

Jesus Christ Superstar [ 4 Answers ]

I've just seen the 1973 film adaptation of Jesus Christ Superstar, and was wondering how similar to the original Broadway production it is. For example, was the original set in the first century AD, or in modern times like the film? Thanks Captain O

The return of Jesus Christ [ 131 Answers ]

What are your thoughts about the return of Jesus Christ? Do you think it will be before, during, or after the Great Tribulation? Do you believe it will happen, or not?

About Jesus Christ [ 8 Answers ]

In which ways is and or was worshipped and what was the impact the death had on his respective religion?

Do Qumranic/Essense foundations of Christianity predate Jesus Christ? [ 9 Answers ]

Have you read the book, EDMUND WILSON. The Dead Sea Scrolls, 1947-1969, New York: Oxford University Press, 1969? As an eminent critic and author, Wilson has shown himself a man for all subjects. Though a self-confessed nonexpert on the scrolls, his narrative powers brought his work wide...

View more questions Search