Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulJapan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Where can I find book sales data?
    I was hoping that some people could help me out with information on publishing sales data. I'm with an SME publisher in Japan and we're looking into buying translation rights for American books to sell here. First I'll share what I know:

-Amazon/Barnes & Noble sales rankings favour recent sales to the point of being useless. This emphasis on recent sales means a publication can sell a few copies in a few hours and outrank the New York times bestseller by a few hundred places.

-Ingram sales data is an awesome service and a very highly commendable undertaking by the distributor. However their market shares varies widely from publication to publication making estimates based on Ingram sales very hit and miss. I checked with a publication for which we knew the exact sales figure and instead of Ingram having the typical estimated market share of one sixth they were close to one 23rd.

(for those who don't know the Ingram company releases their book sales data via an automated telephone service for free. Call 615-213-6803 and follow the prompts with ISBN at the ready. They are typically considered to have a one sixth market share but this is unreliable)

-Nielson Bookscan is prohibitively expensive and no one seems to use it anyway.

My question is whether there are other methods to estimate sales? Amazon/B&N won't get me sales data, Ingram is unreliable and NB is out of the question. Are there any rules of thumb, such as "making it to the new york times non-fiction hardcover bestseller list top ten implies X sales minimum?" etc? Anything at all?

I'm really stuck here and would really appreciate any information I could get.
    PaulJapan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Just noticed some confusing wording:

"information on publishing sales data"

I mean sales data for the publishing industry, not publishing existing data.

Paul
    brainaddict Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Hello,

This link may help you with some data:

Book Sales Statistics - Amazon Sales plus Barnes&Noble, Borders 2008 Update for 2007 FY

Bowker undoubtedly has the specific info you're looking for, but you'll have to pay for a subscription with them or one of their products.

Good luck
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2008, 07:22 PM

I honestly don't know how accurate this is, but seem people believe you can calculate approximate sales values this way.

Amazon Sales Rank For Books - Graph Explains What Amazon Sales Ranks Mean

And maybe something helpful here, too...
    http://www.publishers.org/main/Indus...ndStats_02.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to find the total sales [ 1 Answers ]

I must be missing something, how would I determine the total sales with this information? My questions involve calculating the degree of operation leverage, the degree of financial leverage, and the degree of combined leverage and how to interpret this value. I for one can not understand how to...

Old wesson oil @ snowdrift sales col recipe book [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know any thing about a recipe book by wesson oil @ snowdrift co. co. New York, chicago,new orleans, san francisco, savannah, and houston on the front cover at the bottom and shortening shq headquarters at the top. On the side or the binding I'm not sure what it is called it is on...

Trying to find a book [ 2 Answers ]

A few years ago I read a book about a teenage boy killed in a car accident. Somehow he talks to his mother to try and get her to move on with her life without him. I know someone who needs to read this book but I can't remember the title or author.

Where can I find laminate sales online [ 3 Answers ]

I have this wonderful wooden bedroom chest which needs a laminate sheet on the top. I went to Home Depo and they told me they can only sell me something of their standard sizes and I would do the cutting myself. I would like to buy a laminate sheet that is already cut (once I provide the required...

View more questions Search