Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linds518 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Executor's Deed?
    Here's the scenario -
    My grandfather purchased a property in 1969. My grandfather passed away in 1989, leaving my grandmother as executor of his will. My grandmother never filed an executor's deed transferring the property into her name. Now - I am trying to add my name to the deed, but cannot find a deed that is in my grandmother's name.

At the same time, my grandmother took out a secured loan, using the property as collateral (but the bank did not complete a deed or title search - otherwise they would have figured out that the property was only "willed to her," not "deeded to her").

Ultimately we are wanting to put the property in just my name - but do not know how to go about doing it.

Since there is no executor's deed - do we need to file an executor's deed transferring the property into my grandmother's name, then come back and file another deed to add my name.

Also - could we simply put the house into my name and would this affect the secured loan that she has on the property (I am willing to assume the loan).

If you may have suggestions, we GREATLY appreciate it!
    Thank you in advance for your advice and help!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 05:52 PM
    When your grandfather bought the property, was your grandmother's name on the deed as well as his? If the two of them owned the property as joint tenants then the property automatically transferred to your grandmother when he passed away.

If your grandmother's name was not on the original deed then you would have to go through probate to transfer the property. I suggest that you arrange for a real estate attorney or title company to handle this for you.
    Linds518 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Unfortunately, the deed was only in his name.
    Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it! I wasn't sure if we would be able to file an executor's deed after so many years had passed ( the will was probated in 1990 ).

Thanks Again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Special warranty deed and quit claim deed what are they? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference bewtween the two and what is the purpose?

What are the trust executor's legal laws [ 1 Answers ]

As a beneficiary of a trust, (in California), what legal options are there, when an executor has been mismanaging funds, spending it on themselves, personal money transactions using inheritance funds?

Warranty Deed vs. Quit Claim Deed [ 11 Answers ]

My aunt passed away recently and left her house to us (six nieces and nephews) since she and my uncle had no children. We are in the process of selling the house in Arkansas (we all live in Michigan) and are trying to deal with everything long distance. The lady from the Title Insurance...

Reversal of life estate deed using quit claim deed [ 2 Answers ]

Can a life estate deed be reversed if all remainders sign a quit claim deed in North Carolina?

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search