Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Joint Tenancy
    Hello folks - This is actually a continuation of a previous issue that was discussed here. If you want to understand the background, please visit my post titled "can this will be enforced"

Well, I had a chance to pull one of these deeds and examine it further. It appears that my father, more than likely not knowing the seriousness and implications of his action, had added my brother and his sister as "Joint Tenants". In Maryland law, a Joint Tenant has a Right of Survivorship, which would explain how some of these deeds were re-titled to reflect the new owners. I am sure if my father was alive and asked how he would want his estate to be distributed he would have chosen to have it distributed equally. But this talk now is lame. I have a situation that I must deal with. My primary concern is my mother. She was married to my father for the longest time and was married to him when he passed. Can she claim any share at all in these properties ? I am assuming all of them are titled th same way. Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlite
    Hello folks - This is actually a continuation of a previous issue that was discussed here. If you want to understand the background, please visit my post titled "can this will be enforced"

Well, I had a chance to pull one of these deeds and examine it further. It appears that my father, more than likely not knowing the seriousness and implications of his action, had added my brother and his sister as "Joint Tenants". In Maryland law, a Joint Tenant has a Right of Survivorship, which would explain how some of these deeds were re-titled to reflect the new owners. I am sure if my father was alive and asked how he would want his estate to be distributed he would have chosen to have it distributed equally. But this talk now is lame. I hav a situation that I must deal with. My primary concern is my mother. She was married to my father for the longest time and was married to him when he passed. Can she claim any share at all in these properties ? I am assuming all of them are titled th same way. Thank you.

Should be combined with other thread - difficult to switch back and forth to check on facts.

No, your mother was not on the Deeds, she has no claim to the properties. The properties did not pass by Will - they passed outside the estate AND were jointly owned so there is no argument there.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:39 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    moonlite agrees: Thank you so much. I truly appreciate ALL your responses, JudyKayTee's !.[/QUOTE]

What is sad, indeed, is that your father probably deeded properties in this manner to either cut back or avoid estate taxes or protect your mother in some way - and now you'll never know exactly why it was done and he'll never know it sort of backfired.
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2008, 10:19 AM
    BINGO ! Exactly right ! I wish more parents would read this so they can learn something. An innocent little child can become a monster and actually turn his back on everybody when he sees the $$$ !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint tenancy disagreement [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania and own a property with another person intended to be our primary residence. We agreed to split mortgage and utilities 50/50. Now she does not want to pay utilities because she is in a rental property somewhere else and only comes to this property 4 d/month. Does she still...

Michigan joint tenancy again with a twist [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen similar questions to my own, but not exactly. I found out two days ago that my father put my sister's name on a quit claim "joint tenancy with right of survivorship" deed almost 15 years ago. I couldn't believe it so when I went home, I went to the courthouse and got a copy. ...

Common tenancy or joint tenancy [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find out the difference in common tenancy and joint tenancy? How does either of these affect a divorce, or if you die, etc. What do I need to know on these in case of death or divorce?

How will court decide in joint tenancy mutual fund [ 1 Answers ]

It has my ss # on it and I am having a hard time determining whose money opened this mutual fund. Ownership can go to either tenant I'm told. BUT I'M SURE THE MONEY IS FROM THE OTHER ACCOUNT HOLDER, NOT ME. There is no personal signature on the cashiers check that opened the account. Having...

Joint tenancy with survivorship vs will [ 2 Answers ]

If my mother and stepfather each leave to the other in their will all of their property, etc And they have a joint tenancy with survivorship warranty deed... Where does that leave us kids... He has kids and she has kids... When one dies does his/her half automatically jump to the kids...

View more questions Search