Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoalChief Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Replace or reuse tile from a spongy wall? Groute is not the best of shape.
    I'm sure I'll have to replace some sheet rock. Would it be better to use tile or the end piece of fiber glass from a four piece shower and bath set. I would like to go all fiberglass but my wife likes the tile. I mean this the upstairs bath... who is going to see it?

Also I am going to have to replace 24 12" ceiling tiles in the living room, below the bath. Caused by some major leaking.

Your thoughts, thank you,
    CoalChief
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Coal chief:

You can reuse old tiles if you want or go to home supply house and purchase closely matching tiles there... BUT, install cement board behind the tiles this time so water can't wick up wall and destroy tile wall again?

Let me know what you think or if I misunderstood question...

Thanks... MARK
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Best cement board for this will be 1/2" hardibacker cement board. Use the screws they recommend as well and be sure to tape any joint with an alkali-resistant mesh tape.

Check out this link for more information:

James Hardie: HardieBacker 500 backerboard

You can install tile to wall using a tile mastic or a pre-mixed thinset mortar. Be sure to fill the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic board with the adhesive as well. Then let dry as instructions suggest on adhesive container.

Then I install a deep but thin line of mildew-resistant caulking at the joint between the tub and the first row of tiles. Let that dry overnight (since your house) and then install grout as usual. Done in this manner you can be sure that there will be no wicking/damage behind wall over time, or mold/mildew stains between tile and tub... ;)

Let us know if need more information...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhesive? New ceramic tile install - one inch hex shape sheets [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am putting in a brand new full bath where there had been just a half bath.. I am done the roughing in and the framing, cementboard, sheetrock, etc. - and I have a question about the tile installation. For the floor, I chose an older style of tile that is the white octagon/hexagon...

Wall tile [ 4 Answers ]

Can I use thinset mortar on drywall

Removing grout from tile to reuse tile [ 5 Answers ]

We had our kitchen remodeled last year and removed/saved the old tile. We are now doing a bathroom and want to reuse the tile. How do I remove old grout from the back of tile so I can reuse the tile?

Replace fiberglass tub and shower unit with steel tub and tile [ 1 Answers ]

Advice for putting in the enaeled steel tub in place of the fiberglass tub and shower unit? Also, from those with experience on getting the fiberglass unit out-Sawsall, etc. Steps you used and where to start sawing first? Thank you, one and all. GJ

Replace drain in tile shower floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tile shower upstairs that has a drain that is cemented into the tile. On the floor below I have ripped out the ceiling and can see what looks like a shower drain that is corroded and it looks like someone may have applied putty to it. There is a very slow drip filling a margarine...

View more questions Search