Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shimer45 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Ceiling fan now has slowed speeds. Broken motor?
    My Ceiling fan is acting up in a strange way. It is a 9 month old Harbor Breeze from Lowe's. It recently broke. Now it only functions in one direction. And in that direction it only functions at much lower speeds than usual (there are still 3 speeds but each speed is about 1/3 it's original functioning speed). When the fan is trying to spin I can hear the motor trying to spin it (that normal higher pitch motor sound).

When it broke I heard what sounded like 3 clicking sounds before High speed slowed to 1/3 high speed. Later that night I pulled the speed cord (HARD) several times and it started working for 30 minutes until the clicking happened again and it slowed again.

I thought it was the Cap so I called "Litex" (they make the fan) and got a replacement Cap. Installed it. Functions the same. Is this a definite motor problem? Is this a switch problem (I doubt it since the switch still toggles by the way the 3 speeds and off).

Any help is appreciated.
    -Kevin

Edit: Other possibly useful info:
    -the fan is wired to 3 wall switches (one for light, one for fan(on/off), one other for direction) (I don't know how the 3 switches connect to this fan via the connections below?)
    -this is a remote fan but I don't have the remote module connected (never did)
    -this fan has 2 pull chains for speed and light (& one 2 position switch for direction)
    -today I checked the connections and redid the wire nutting (I did not change the wiring, just redid the nutting)
    Wiring is: house red-> fan black
    House white -> fan white
    House black -> fan blue
    House ground -> fan ground

Again this fan worked for 8 months before crapping out. Thanks in advance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Did you determine anything with fan speed switch, replacement has to have exact switching, several types.
    Check direction switch. It just basically swaps 2 wires for reverse.
    Gepetto Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Usually this means the fan switch has gone bad. I assume no-one knocked into the fan such that the moving part of the motor is now physically touching the stationary part

Sep 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Fan was not knocked at any time to harm the motor.

The pull chain switch still works in one direction though... i.e.. It toggles through the speeds and then to off (the speeds are wrong though (much slower)). When I switch the direction switch on the fan (the 2 position switch) the pull chain appears to still engage the motor (I hear the hum)... just no spinning at any speed.

I believe that all faults with this fan occurred simultaneously. Is there no one fault that is a catch-all for these symptoms?

Thanks again for the fast replies
    -kevin
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
    What type of switches do you have controlling the fan/light (no dinners for the fan rite), and are you sure you have the remote completely disconnected? Something doesn't sound rite.:confused:

Sep 3, 2008, 08:12 PM
    I still think it's the switch or switches. Does this fan also have a multiple position wall switch-those are famous for going bad?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 08:38 PM
    I don't understand how a fan can be wired to a reverse wall switch unless it is part of an RF control set.

The symptons you described are that of a bad capacitor. You say they sent you a new capacitor. Are you sure you wired it in right?

Who installed the fan and the three switch setup?

Sep 3, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Hello gents :)

In response:
    No dimmers and I'm positive that the remote module isn't in there (it's on a different fan mounted in a different room with a raised ceiling)

The fan is wired to 3 (very common) flip (on/off) wall switches... 2 are on the same plate, one is separate.

I'm positive that they sent me the right capacitor.. I just compared them again... and I'm sure that I soldered it correctly. I installed the fan myself by removing the older fan and connecting the wiring just like the old fan. And I don't know what you mean by an "RF control set", what would the reverse wall switch have to do with an RF unit? I don't know how the reverse wall switch works but I assume that it would just reverse the voltage like the switch on the fan does?

Also after reading online I assumed it was a bad cap, but the cap showed no signs of warping (like I would expect)... the fan just clicked a couple of times and then slowed, then after some hard pull switch pulls (a day or 2 later) worked for about 30 minutes then clicked and slowed again

Any other information I can offer... cause I'm clueless? Is it time to borrow a multimeter from work and check the voltage up there?

I disconnected and toyed with the pull chain switch... to no avail (I didn't expect anything since it does seem to toggle like it's supposed to)
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:30 PM
    You didn't answer my most important question:

Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Who installed the fan and the three switch setup?
    A hard wired wall mounted reverse switch is a custom wiring job, the ceiling fan would have had to have been heavily modified, and it will be VERY difficult to troubleshoot from online.

Sep 3, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Hmm... I didn't know this

I installed the new fan using the setup of the old fan as my standard. I don't know who did the wiring for the fan, installed the switches, or setup the original old fan. I'm new the this house as of a year and a half ago.

If you think the wiring was bad, how come this setup worked so well for 8 months before breaking?
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
    I may not understand your wiring setup completely. Pictures would help a lot-- of the fan and of the switches, as well as anything you've opened up and any wires currently exposed.

Sep 3, 2008, 10:02 PM
    I think that I'll check the voltage up there after work tomorrow, and report back. Are you pretty confident that it's a wiring problem and not a fault of the fan? I heard a popping/clicking come from the fan when it broke... what part would have broken within the fan if not the cap? Fuse or something else as a result of bad wiring?

All I know about the fan wiring I already reported
    Wiring is: house red-> fan black
    House white -> fan white
    House black -> fan blue
    House ground -> fan ground

I know that tells you nothing about the wall switches though... I just took off the wall switch plates for the first time... and I'm officially over my head :) way too many wires in there for me to manage. Might look for disconnections or shorts in there tomorrow when I turn the circuit off... getting to late for that right now. Thanks for your help tonight... would rather spend a couple of hours working on this problem than talk to Litex again.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 04:21 AM
    I have seen fans where the wire touch the motor will produce a clicking sound, wonder if it caught and pulled something undone, this is a possibility if it has the very large canopy, a ceiling hugger.

Sep 4, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Ok.. I'll crack open the fan and take a look at the motor too... it's kind of a fun project. I just hope that I can fix it without spending too much $$$

The fan is very close to the ceiling by the way

Sep 4, 2008, 09:12 AM
    This is going to sound really dumb, but verify you are actually getting 120 volts at the fan.
    You should not have to go into the regular switch box in the wall; I was referring to an add-on "speed controller" you stick on the wall. Usually, when the switch goes bad it is the motor that makes the noise.
    A wire up in the fan's ceiling box that got cut may divert some supply voltage elsewhere-such as ground.
    Again, there should be no need to go into the house wiring at the home's switch box
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shimer45
    I think that I'll check the voltage up there after work tomorrow, and report back. Are you pretty confident that it's a wiring problem and not a fault of the fan? I heard a popping/clicking come from the fan when it broke .... what part would have broken within the fan if not the cap? Fuse or something else as a result of bad wiring?

All i know about the fan wiring i already reported
    wiring is: house red-> fan black
    house white -> fan white
    house black -> fan blue
    house ground -> fan ground

I know that tells you nothing about the wall switches though...i just took off the wall switch plates for the first time.... and I'm officially over my head :) way too many wires in there for me to manage. might look for disconnections or shorts in there tomorrow when I turn the circuit off... getting to late for that right now. Thanks for your help tonight... would rather spend a couple of hours working on this problem than talk to Litex again.
    The wiring you describe, I don't see how you would be able to reverse the fan from the wall.

Sep 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
    I rarely used the reverse wall switch.. (once or twice since the fan was installed)... I believe that it worked. I would shut off the fan. Stop the blades. Flip the reverse wall switch and turn the fan back on. To the best of my memory it turned the opposite direction.

Now that I think of it... currently the fan (in it's broken state) only works in one of the possible four direction settings... i.e..
    Wall direction switch on, fan direction switch counterclockwise: fan spins (but very slowly)
    Wall direction switch on, fan direction switch clockwise: fan does not spin
    Wall direction switch off, fan direction switch counterclockwise: fan does not spins
    Wall direction switch off, fan direction switch clockwise: fan does not spin

This might indicate that the wall switch never worked correctly and you very well might be right... all I can say for sure is that it doesn't work now

I will check the voltage up at the fan tonight, I will toggle the wall direction switch as well remeasure and report my results
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 01:24 PM
    We need: 1. pictures of the switches and wiring at the switches, and wiring at the fan
    2. A description of all the wires at the ceiling
    3. A description of all the wires at the switches and how the switches are wired.

Sep 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Ok, so I have a matrix of voltages I took after disconnecting my fan... which I thought might be very helpful. It appears as though the direction switch does nothing like "celingfanrepair" seemed to know even though I was telling him otherwise (sorry about that)

I have 3 wall switches: Direction (D), Fan(F) and Light (L) and 3 wires coming from my ceiling Red (R), White (W) and Black (B) (white appears to be common so I won't list it)

D | F | L | R | B
    0 | 0 | 0 | 31 | 120
    0 | 0 | 1 | 11 | 40
    0 | 1 | 0 | 120 | 120
    0 | 1 | 1 | 120 | 48
    1 | 0 | 0 | 30 | 120
    1 | 0 | 1 | 12 | 40
    1 | 1 | 0 | 120 | 120
    1 | 1 | 1 | 120 | 49

Also, a colleague at work said that he's heard about Relays getting arched and then oxidizing and creating their own internal resistance. He suggested that this may happen to the direction switch on the fan (possibly explaining too much resistance in one direction and a no connection in the other direction) Do you all think that this has any merit (before I tear the direction switch apart in futile effort)?

Thanks again for your in depth help. I really do appreciate it. I know little about home wiring, but I took these reading with a Fluke set to V-AC with the range set all the way up.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Is the direction switch, a relay or a switch? If a switch, with power off, switch back and forth to maybe improve the contacts.
    If it is a relay, and has 6 wires, 2 may be for the coil, and the 2 pair are swapped for direction, if you have the relay switching diagram on side(hopefully), or can physically see the switching, just bypass relay, see if it runs one direction, and then swap those 2 wires with the other wires, if it runs the other direction in all speeds, it would most likey be the relay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lost lower speeds [ 7 Answers ]

"First Home" (mfgr) 3 speed ceiling fan went to 'high speed' only last night. Pull chain only clicks on at 'high speed' and merely clicks noise at lower speed positions. It takes 4 clicks of pull chain to stop and restart at high spped. Reverse switch works fan in reverse spin also only at...

Ceiling fan speeds [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn my ceiling fan on, it will be on the highest speed first, then when I pull the chain to lower the speed to medium, it stays on high, and when I pull the chain again to go to the lowest setting, it still turns on the highest speed, but when I pull the chain for the fourth time, it will...

3 speed ceiling fan runs on only two speeds [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 speed ceiling fan that runs on only two speeds. I have tried replacing the pull chain but that does not fix the problem. The fan use to have high, medium and low. We now have high, low and nothing. Any suggestions.

AC Motor, 2 speeds [ 3 Answers ]

INFO: Westinghouse Motor Type H Serial # 1177132F HP 1/6 Volts 115 Amp 2.9 Phase 1 Cycles 60 RPM 1725

Hunter Ceiling Fan Randomly Changing speeds. [ 17 Answers ]

I have a hunter Jackson Square ceiling fan on a wall remote kit that came with the unit. It randomly powers on and off and changes speeds. I have changed the frequency on the remote and receiver multiple times and it still does this. The house was prewired for this when I purchased the house so...

View more questions Search