Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    B Marilyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
    501(c)3 Corporation Raffle Rules
    Located in California, we are a 501(c)3 corporation who has been approached to sponsor a raffle for a 'green' automobile, with interested parties donating $100 for a humanitarian project in India. Expected receipts are in the range of $300k. We realize that, because the donation is not given without strings (e.g. the donor hopes to win the auto), the donor is not eligible to receive a contribution receipt.

OUR QUESTION:
    Would this activity in any way jeopardize our standing under the United States IRS rules for a 501(c)3 corporation?

Thanking you in advance,
    B Marilyn :confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by B Marilyn
    Located in California, we are a 501(c)3 corporation who has been approached to sponsor a raffle for a 'green' automobile, with interested parties donating $100 for a humanitarian project in India. Expected receipts are in the range of $300k. We realize that, because the donation is not given without strings (e.g. the donor hopes to win the auto), the donor is not eligible to receive a contribution receipt.

OUR QUESTION:
    Would this activity in any way jeopardize our standing under the United States IRS rules for a 501(c)3 corporation?

Thanking you in advance,
    B Marilyn :confused:

I would not even think about this without an opinon IN WRITING from a CPA. Many, many pitfalls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raffle tickets, odds when buying more than one ? [ 1 Answers ]

This is a for real raffle, 129000 tickets will be sold, 7400 prizes will be awarded. If you Buy one ticket, you have a 1 in 18 chance of winning a prize. If I bought 3 tickets, would The odds change very much or still be about the same ? Thanks in advance for responding!!

Probability on raffle draw. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help, I have put all the birth dates from the last 75 years in draw and twice a day I pick a winner. Assuming I have 22000 members of which 400 visit my establishment every day-you have to be in the building at the time of the draw to win if not it rolls over. Can anyone tell me what...

Raffle taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I recently won a large cash raffle. Of course, I want to get the taxes paid now to avoid any penalties for underpayment. Here are the details: It was a 50/50 raffle, cash prize was declared to be $15,000 The organization is a tax-exempt entity. They hold a similar raffle 6-8 times per year...

LLC or Corporation? [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a real investment company with a partner. We will buy homes and renovate them for sale. We will not be performing the repair work ourselves and will utilize capital money from private investors. Should we set up our firm as an LLC or a S-corporation? There will be instances where...

View more questions Search