Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buteraej Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
    IBS? Strong Abdominal pains!
    Hello. I will randomly get very strong pains in my lower abdomen. These pains come very sporadically. I will typically get them a few nights in a row then I will not get them for a couple months. The pain starts in my lower abdomen and the pain will intensify to my back. There have been times that the pain is so bad that I will involuntarily shake and have the urge to vomit. (Though, I have not vomited). The pain typically only comes on at night, awakening me from a sleep. I will take some Tylenol to mask the symptoms of my pain.

I have gone to a couple doctors and after tests; they both associated the pain with constipation. The only part that confuses is me is that I will sometimes get the pain even though I had a bowel movement that same day. I will sometimes go numerous days without a bowel movement but after a couple days I will have one. I have done research and think I may have IBS though I have not yet been diagnosed.

They pain is extremely intense and any thoughts, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 08:45 AM
    It could be IBS, but we cannot diagnose you over the internet.

Have you mentioned to your doctor that you think it could be IBS? Only your doctor has access to test that can determine what it is you are suffering from.

Have you tried adding more fibre to your diet to help curb the constipation? How much water do your drink daily? Are you on medications that might cause constipation? So many things to consider.

Sorry that we can't be more helpful.

Good luck.

Sep 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Have you mentioned to your doctor that you think it could be IBS? I mentioned it to him and he said it was a possibility. I really need to go back to him to let him know that I am still having issues. His educated guess was that it was constipation.

Have you tried adding more fiber to your diet to help curb the constipation? Actually, I feel as if the pain started when I changed my diet several years ago. I started eating whole grains and other food items that contain more fiber. I also started taking benifber. I still had craps after all this. My next guess would be that I do not drink enough water. I drink a glass or so a day. I am a big fan of tea... probably isn't the same-huh? :)

I just got these cramps last night. I started a log of what I ate the previous day and will mark each day that I have a BM.

I appreciate your response. I just wanted to reach out to people who may have had a similar experience or know of someone.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
    I have suffered from constipation and other bowel related problems all my life, so I know how you feel.

Tea is not the same at all, you should be drinking at least 6, 8 ounce glasses of water a day, even better would be 8, especially if you suffer from constipation. I keep a bottle of water with me wherever I go, just refill it when it gets empty. It's hard to keep up, but it's worth it.

Do you eat allot of fruit, some fruits can help with bowel problems too, but I'd talk to your doctor about any change in diet, if it's IBS then your doctor may recommend a specific diet.

Good luck. :)
    fireandice2007 Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2008, 08:19 PM
    It could be several things. I went through almost the same thing several years ago. My regular family doctor eventually sent me to a gastroenterologist, who after several tests, diagnosed me with IBS. She put me on a diet high in fiber, starting each day with a warm drink (in her words to 'warm up' my insides). This diet was designed to help regulate my system and control the pain. It did not work.

After several little changes to my diet and medication, I happened to go see a new gynocologist (my old one was retiring). During my exam, he was asking me questions about my other medical conditions. When I told him I had been diagnosed with IBS, he asked me what symptoms I had that led to that diagnosis. I explained all of them to him. My pain was always in my lower abdomen and would radiate towards my back, and would often get worse after I had a bowel movement, which led me and my gastroenterologist to believe it had to do with my bowels or intestines. After listening to me explain all my symptoms and the fact that none of the treatment for IBS seemed to work, he suggested that maybe I had been given an incorrect diagnosis. He brought up the possibility of endometriosis. After some careful consideration, we decided to proceed with the diagnostic laparoscopy, the only definitive way to diagnosis endometriosis. During the procedure, my gyn found several deep "pockets or windows" of endometriosis throughout my abdominal cavity, attaching to many of my organs. He removed this tissue. After the surgery, even through the post operative pain, I felt immensely better, almost immediately.

All my symptoms got better, and after discussing things with both my gyn and my gastroenterologist, I discontinued treatment for the IBS. Even my gastroenterologist admitted to me that IBS is a tricky diagnosis, and is often used as a catch all to explain the symptoms described when no other, more definitive, diagnosis can be reached.

I tell you all of this to let you know that you need to research all of your options, prior to setting your mind, or simply accepting a diagnosis the doctor gives you. If I had asked more questions, or been more vocal about the aspects of IBS that did not seem to make sense or fit for me, I could have had my true medical condition diagnosed much sooner. My gyn estimates that I probably suffered from the endometriosis for over five years before it was correctly diagnosed. Five years of horrible pain that I thought I would have to live with for the rest of my life, since none of the IBS treatments were working. Granted, endometriosis is a life long condition that I will have to deal with, but I have learned over the last four years the best way to control my pain. I am on no daily medications, and generally have to have a surgery once a year to "clean out" the endometriosis, but I have found it is very manageable when you are knowledgeable about what is truly going on.

Talk to your doctor, and if something doesn't make sense, voice your opinion. You stated that you sometimes have the pain, even if you have already had a bowel movement. This could point to something else. Only a doctor can diagnosis you correctly. But if things don't fit, don't be afraid to voice your concerns, and if treatment does not help, be sure to discuss other options... hope this was somewhat helpful!!

Sep 5, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Thank you very much for your post. I appreciate you taking the time to share your story with me. I have had thoughts that it may be endometriosis I think it just scares me if that is the case.

I really need to get to a Dr. and get to the bottom of this! When you got pains were they random? I can go 2 months, 3 months, 4 months, etc. between the times I experience any pain.

I have had tests down where they stuck a probe up me and check to see if there was any apparent issues, nothing was found. I am pretty sure they check my ovaries and all around that region. I have also had an ultra sound done and still, no findings!

It can be so frustrating! :confused:

Thank you again for any help or insight y'all may have! It is GREATLY appreciated!
    fireandice2007 Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Sep 5, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buteraej
    Thank you very much for your post. I appreciate you taking the time to share your story with me. I have had thoughts that it may be endometriosis I think it just scares me if that is the case.

I really need to get to a Dr. and get to the bottom of this! When you got pains were they random? I can go 2 months, 3 months, 4 months, etc. between the times I experience any pain.

I have had tests down where they stuck a probe up me and check to see if there was any apparent issues, nothing was found. I am pretty sure they check my ovaries and all around that region. I have also had an ultra sound done and still, no findings!

It can be so frustrating! :confused:

Thank you again for any help or insight y'all may have! It is GREATLY appreciated!

My pains were often very random, but eventually got progressively worse and more frequent. Don't let endometriosis scare you. It scared me to death when I first found out, but as I learned more and used the coping strategies that my doctor recommended I have learned it is very easy to live with. It is actually a very common disorder.

I had all of the same tests done. Endometriosis CANNOT be definitively diagnosed unless you have a diagnostic laparoscopy done.

Some things that were key indicators for me (and if these questions seem to personal, I understand if you do not want to post answers online): during my menstrual period, it started to become heavier, and my pain became much much worse (my doctor told me that the reason for the worse pain was that the endometriosis is the same tissue that lines your uterus and what is expelled when you have your period. So when I had my period, that tissue cramped up and bled, only it was not in my uterus, it was in my abdominal cavity). Also, when I would have sex, sometimes immediately and sometimes up to two hours later, I would start having the cramps and the pain and it would get so bad that I could not get out of bed until it subsided.

Hopefully this can give you some insight and you have other options to discuss with your doctor!

Sep 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
    You are not being too personal, I appreciate your help. As for what you said:

During my menstrual period, it started to become heavier, and my pain became much much worse: I have not noticed any changes... my flow has always been the same.

Also, when I would have sex, sometimes immediately and sometimes up to two hours later, I would start having the cramps and the pain and it would get so bad that I could not get out of bed until it subsided. : Fortunately, this has not been an issue for me either.

For the most part, the only times I get cramps are at night time... I will be woken up. When waking up they will be mild, if I take tylenol immediately, they will go away before they get too intense. If I wait too long to take anything, they will become extremely painful. Once the tylenol kicks in, they will go away. The pain has not gotten worse throughout the years... same ol' symptoms.

This all started about 4 or so years ago. I linked it with a change in my diet, more fiber, more whole grains, etc.

I don't know!? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

Loss of appetite, strong abdominal pain [ 3 Answers ]

OK, so here's my deal. Sorry it's so long, but I haven't been feeling well for a very long time and need some advice since doctors have no idea. In February I started getting very bad abdominal pains, they would be very sharp and wake me up in the middle of the night if I was able to sleep at...

Morning nausea, abdominal pains, lightheadedness and stomack issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 17 year old male and for at least the last three years almost every morning when I wake up I feel nausicous and I can't eat and if I do I seem to gag and almost vomit. This nausea some times only lasts a few hours and some times lasts all day. My doctor took blood tests to see if it was...

Abdominal exercises [ 2 Answers ]

What are some effective ab exercises that don't require me to get on the floor?

Too Much Abdominal Fat. [ 2 Answers ]

What causes abdominal fat? Does drinking beer has anything to do with it? What can be done to reduce the abdominal fat? Thanks in advance for your help!

View more questions Search