Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassiushall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Standard Pet Deposit - Northern Va
    I am currently going through divorce and we have a property listed in the Montclair Country Club. Many people have been inquiring about renting property mostly with pets. I would like to know what is the average pet deposit. Thanks

V/r
    Clay

>Moved from Forum Help<
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 08:16 AM
    If this is a property that you eventually want to be able to sell without having to go in and completely replace carpet, etc, I would urge you to stick with a "no pets" policy. And enforce it. You can never get enough pet deposit or security deposit to recarpet a whole house. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is when every other caller - or more - says, "do you take pets?" But in this case I'd stand firm. As a landlord with multiple units I spread my risk and costs out over the whole of my business. Does that make sense.

That said, I charge a non-refundable Pet FEE of $250 in addition to the security deposit. Different states allow different things, so check your state's laws (see the sticky at the top of the forum.) Some states won't allow non-refundable fees or deposits of any kind. Mine are mostly for 1 or 2 bedroom apartments with little or no carpet. In my area lots of places are charging $1000 deposits (non-refundable). For the most part is just chases people away with pets, but some property managers I've talked to do report having a few people actually come up with the money.

Please educate yourself as thoroughly as possible before you decide to rent out the house. It's not a bad option, but you need to view it as a business decision, not personal. And make sure you understand how to get someone out of there if they're not paying or breaking the lease.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
    I believe that most apartment complexes in the area that permit pets, require a months rent for a pet deposit. That's in addition to the security deposit. You can however, require what ever you would like. I agree with rockinmommy though, you are better off simply not allowing pets. Renters want to have pets, let them buy a house. Too many problems, too much damage. Be aware that unless you specifically and emphatically prohibit pets, they will try to sneak them in.

Also agree with rockinmommy that you should educate yourself about eviction proceedures.
    everwill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I see pet deposits from $300 to $500
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 13, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Figure out how much it will cost to have the carpets professionally cleaned and double it.
    everwill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Life is too short to give something for nothing.
    pattijo55 Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Sep 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Usually an average of $300 for us when we rented homes with carpet. I just want to make one statement pertaining to renting... children can damage a home probably worse than an animal. Dogs don't draw on walls with crayons. So look at families w/animals positively. Don't rule animals out as we were so many times. Animal people have big hearts. Hugs p
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattijo55
    Usually an average of $300 for us when we rented homes with carpet. I just want to make one statement pertaining to renting..... children can damage a home probably worse than an animal. Dogs don't draw on walls with crayons. So look at families w/animals positively. Don't rule animals out as we were so many times. Animal people have big hearts. hugs p
    I will agree and disagree with you.

I've been a landlord for around 15 years. I've repainted a lot of walls, and even patched a few. Had some marker stains and kool-aid stainst that wouldn't wash out of carpet, etc, from kiddos.

HOWEVER, I've had MANY properties where the carpet had to be completely torn out, pad and all, and in a few instances even the floor under the pad required "de-funking" - ALL due to PETS! PET damage is COSTLY! To the poster who said take the cost of shampooing and double it... unfortunately it's more like take the cost of new carpet and add on to that!

The original poster is not looking to get into the landlord business, I don't believe. It seemed to me like they were just looking for options for the house they ultimately want to sell. In that case, I 100% believe NO PETS is the way to go.
    wolfie09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
    I have been renting a place with carpet a home the original carpet d.s is over 18 yrs old it is still reasonable condition and only needs a good shampoo the u.s has been tore up in the door ways by a puppy I had! We have lived here 6-7 yrs we had a history of more animals but have since got rid of all but 1 service dog 1 emotional support dog and 1 cat (1med dog 1GSD) and 1 med cat) the LL has never asked for any other deposit tell recently! I understand her concern since we had to repair some things to the home are selfs . She wants 1,500.00 now for a deposit . After living here for 7yrs what do you think a responsible deposit would be for the animals ?
    Should she do deposit VS Pet rent mo. And what would be responsible ?she has known about the animals for years but she had to come and replace and rewire a hot water heater and we had brought clothes in from are shed that some strays had gotten into and they smelled like pee so she said my cats had peed all over the place I am understandably of needing a deposit etc but I want to be fair for both of us.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
    The amount of the deposit is your landlord's decision. "Fair" to her in your eyes may not be "fair" to her in her eyes.

No one can give you the law without knowing where you live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Standard of living [ 1 Answers ]

How is the standard of living in united states better than that of the africans? Specifically (nigeria). Discuss.

Standard deductions [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I was working on F1 visa (OPT) from Jan 1, 2005 till Nov 30, 2005. My H1 started from 1st Dec 2005. I am using 1040NR-EZ for filing my taxes. Am I right? Or do I have to use both 1040 and 1040 NR? Also I am a bit confused about my deductions. Can I claim standard deductions, as I was on...

View more questions Search