NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 04:06 AM
    At least cigs have filters.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2006, 04:19 AM
    That's tru eh NeedKarma.
    I actually think the dope itself is not the worst part of it, its smoking the joint itself with NO filters, eh?
    flower81 Posts: 303, Reputation: 7

May 4, 2006, 04:39 AM
    I smoke dope once a while, what's so wrong with that?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 4, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Whatever you do that causes problems in your life is something you need to address. Anything done to an access can be bad for you. Many times we start doing something every once in a while and end up doing it all the time and that's when the problems start when doing your thang is more important than the thang you should be doing!:cool: :eek:
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 4, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Not a smoker, though ill smoke a cigar maybe 0-4 times a year with friends.

Generally speaking, lighting anything on fire and then intentionally sucking the combustion products into your lungs isn't particularly good for the body.

Worse than cigs? Cannot tell you. Along with all of the other crap that you are inhaling the potential for free radical reactions in the lungs in just scary. Radical reactions are tied to aging, cancer, tons of stuff. Self perpetuating reactions that compromise the integrity of cell membranes.

So, yeah, again... smoking anything everyday is deliberately exposing your lungs to chemicals and toxins that the body could do better without.
    tuddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Smoking dope long term personaly I think it can be very bad for you I believe it can cause long term mental illness that is speaking from experience
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

May 4, 2006, 08:26 PM
    I smoked pot for years and the only side effect I ever experienced was when I quit, my memory began to fail. Clinical tests have now proved that pot increases your memory. While the best smoking method is to inhail the vaporized thc and not the smoke, those devices are rare in the US. If you are so concerned get a recipe off the net on how to cook it in butter and add the butter to your food. It is stronger and will not cause lung cancer.

Hypatia
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuddy
    smoking dope long term personaly i think it can be very bad for you i beleive it can cause long term mental illness that is speaking from experiance
    OK, such as?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia
    I smoked pot for years and the only side effect I ever experienced was when I quit, my memory began to fail. Clinical tests have now proved that pot increases your memory. While the best smoking method is to inhail the vaporized thc and not the smoke, those devices are rare in the US. If you are so concerned get a recipe off the net on how to cook it in butter and add the butter to your food. It is stronger and will not cause lung cancer.

Hypatia

Well done, for quitting, as I can imagine it is quite hard, even just quitting cigarettes, what was your trick? How did you manage to quit?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Hi,
    In my opinion, being a drug addict is worse than smoking cigarettes; if one had to make a choice.
    Then again, smoking cigarettes is being addicted to nicotine, which is very, very addictive. So is smoking cigarettes being an addict? Yes, it is, to nicotine.
    Smoking dope has more far-reaching effects, since it can lead to other drugs... not always, but there is a good chance.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:05 AM
    I agree, but is the dope itself more harmful than nicotine?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:17 AM
    It depends on how you look at it.
    Another answer indicated it can cause memory loss. Is that worse than taking a chance on cancer? I don't know personally.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 05:20 AM
    I think they are both as bad as each other, bought can lead to daunting end really.
    Quitting all is probably best, not that I smoke dope everyday, but cigarettes I do, sometimes too many, and I've had already 3 deaths caused by cancer in my family.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Pot kills brain cells... gives lung cancer, any questions?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Daily use indicates an active addiction. Oddly enough there is still widespread belief that being addicted to pot is somehow harmless or even doesn't exist. I was at one time one who believed it was light weight at its worst. I know people who would now tell you otherwise and witnessed firsthand what they went through. It was belief-alteringly difficult.

Read here from what I consider to be a reliable source:
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

In particular, here are the opening sentences in the paragraph about Effects on the Lungs:

"A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses."
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Tried to give you love Mom, but got to spread some more...

Bravo, thank you for coming to the rescue once again!!
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jul 7, 2006, 10:08 AM
    The main problem here is the cigarette smoking. Marijuana smoking by itself does show increases of respiratory illnesses, however, for carcinoma of the respiratory system, the studies throughout the years have been inconclusive.

The issue is that marijuana is illegal, at least in the U.S.

Medical marijuana (in some 36 states) is legal. Why? Because there was found to be enough proof that marijuana can be very therapeudic for pain, appetite, & relaxation .
    Marijuana has gotten a bum rap throughout the years because individuals have abused its use - Gotten high when they were at work when they were supposed to be responsible. Decreased coordination, perception, & judgment were just enough for one conductor to cause a big train wreck that was in the news.
    I do not believe it CAUSES any paranoia/ mental illness. That is highly individual. But so is the claim that it leads to "harder drugs".
    When I was a teenager, one look at the heroine addicts sprawled across a park bench, one look at the abcesses on every available part of their body was enough to discourage that.
    Now, smoking crack-cocaine - that'll rip your lungs apart, etc.
    One has memory loss during the "high" and should not attempt so much as to address an envelope! It is something to do when one has no responsibilities.
    And that being said, safety in using it is very limited.
    Besides that - We have to pass drug tests for certain jobs in the U.S.
    It's all for workmen's comp. The tests let the alcoholic get a pass because that doesn't show up after 1 day of abstaining, cocaine - some 2 weeks, pills the same, but marijuana stays in body fat and can take up to 2months(depending on amt & frequency) to be undetectable!!

Here's a couple of articles on marijuana & cancer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2501729_pf.htm

http://www.msnbc.com/id/12943013/
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    Marijuana has gotten a bum rap throughout the years b/c individuals have abused its use - Gotten high when they were at work when they were supposed to be responsible. Decreased coordination, perception, & judgment were just enough for one conductor to cause a big train wreck that was in the news.
    That's enough for me to keep it the way it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any medicines out there to help stop Smoking? [ 14 Answers ]

Dear Expert Any one have a good method to helping people to stop smoke ? Have any medicine can help ?Is expensive ? Thanks Dick

Quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

Time to share all of your tips and techniques. I am a 19 year addict and my husband is a 10 year addict. We both are quitting together, cold turkey. Any suggestions?? Hypatia:confused:

Smoking and dancing [ 14 Answers ]

This is sort of a similar question to the one I asked about wine and spirits. I know that there are some churches that prohibit smoking and dancing (not necessarily both at the same time lol). So my question is, as before, where do these beliefs come from? Dancing is mentioned lots of times in the...

Stopped smoking [ 11 Answers ]

I have quit smoking, ha, it has been 23 ½ hours, so far, I was a chain smoker, For those of you that have quite, what worked to get rid of the heeby jeepbies, I am going though now,

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search