Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IoNu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Extending hot tub wire 6/3
    Hi
    This is my first post, I would like to know if you can extend 6/3 wire going from the hot tub to the Spa box, I am short about a foot and I do not really want to have to go buy another length of wire and replace the whole run. If I can extend it I would like to know the proper way of extending it. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 3, 2008, 08:24 PM
    The code is quite clear on this topic the NEC does not allow the splicing of wiring in between disconnect switch and the hot tub. This wiring is also required to be installed in conduit i.e. non-metallic flexible conduit.
    With that being said if you're not selling any time soon and your not getting an inspection, get yourself a waterproof J-box (6"X6" PVC), and 4 large blue wire nuts, and splice away.
    Keep in mind that this is not permissible, and will not pass any inspection, and if you are not familiar with how to splice wires ask someone that does to show you.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Doesn't matter. It's not legal in the first place.

"6/3" is cable, and that is NOT allowed AT ALL for ANY outside portion of the wiring to a spa or hot tub.
    The wiring MUST be in conduit with a maximum of 6' of flexible conduit.
    The main reason for no cable is that the ground MUST be insulated.
    IoNu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 01:52 AM
    If 6/3 is not allowed at all on the outside portion what should I be using? The spa place told me to get 6/3 underground cable which in Canada is quite pricey, was this the wrong cable to get in the first place? If so what should I get in place of it? I would rather have it done some what close to code just in case, also the 6/3 that I am using outside is run through conduit underground and is only out of the ground at the junction box that I put in less than 6 feet from the spa and mounted to the side of the fence off the ground. I guess my biggest concern is if this will work? My GFCI works as intended and the spa seems to be working as intended. Thanks again!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Ah-ha! You are in Canada. That would have been good to know.

Like I said in my previous reply, in the US the wiring MUST be conductors in conduit with an insulated ground.

I don't know the Canadian codes on this so I'll sit back now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending credit [ 1 Answers ]

How does extending credit affect working capital requirements and the cash conversion period (cycle)?

Extending a 120v Outlet Wire [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently begun remodeling my Bath Room, I have completed everything I have experience in and only need one thing done before I can complete the project. I now need to move a 120V Outlet Wire, I will still need to use the outlet, so it seams best to just extend the current wire to the length...

Extending loans [ 1 Answers ]

1.What common interests are shared by bankers and business owners? 2.What type of information about a business would bankers want before extending a loan?

Extending Lan up to 2 KM [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I want to extend my existing lan up to 2 kilometer . What should I do ? Does I need lan extender or reapter. Guide.

Extending spa feed [ 2 Answers ]

I have existing 220v wiring (outdoors) for a spa that I want to extend another 15 ft. in order to hide the panel from view. Do I have to re-wire the run, or can I just extend it with a junction box and another 15 ft. of cable/wire? I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance...

View more questions Search