Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovedarain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Sign-on bonus - taxes
    I currently live and work in nyc and am considering taking a position with a company in New Jersey. They are offering me a sign-on bonus and I was curious what percentage I would need to pay in taxes and if that would be deducted up-front. Is a sign-on bonus treated the same as a "regular" bonus and taxed heavily? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Any bonus is considered a part of your normal salary and will be taxed at your marginal tax rate.

Normally, the company withholds 30% of the bonus for income taxes, plus the normal withholding for Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%), plus whatever is the norm for your state income tax withholding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return Sign-on bonus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My employer paid me a sign-on bonus of $5K two months ago when I joined them. The employment contract says that I should return the money if I choose to leave the company within a year. I have decided to leave the company for personal reasons. My question is that I was paid only $3117.50...

Sign-on bonus taxes [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I started working in July 04 (was in college before then). I received a signon bonus from my company, before I started work. Hence, I was not taxed on it before starting. I was supposed to have been after I started working, but that never happened. So I know for this return I should be...

Sign-on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

I had received a sign-on bonus last year, so it appeared as an income last year and I have paid taxes on it. As I did not complete one year with the company I had to return my sign-on bonus this year. How do I claim already paid taxes?

Another sign on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about a sign on bonus I just received in May. It was for 21,500 and after taxes I received approximately 12,800 dollars. I have been working for the company for a few months now, and now am moving out of the agreed area for my bonus to be effective. Is there any way...

Returning a sign-on bonus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I received a sign-on bonus of $15,000 in 2005 that was reported as income on my W-2. (actual amount received was $10,102.50 after taxes). I have recently left that job and need to return the sign-on bonus. My company wants me to return the $10,102.50 + $3,750 for federal taxes since my...

View more questions Search