Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
    What legal ways can I rent my house
    Just bought a house in Nassau County N.Y. I thought is was a legal 2. My nassau county Property search says it's a two family duplex, two living units, one family dwelling. Went to Town of oyster bay and they told me it's not legal. I am being taxed as a 2 because the town probably came in before and saw 2 kitchens. So if I am being taxed as 2 isn't it legal? I only bought this house because I need the income to live on and I was told wrong infor. Anyway, if it's not legal and I have to move can I rent it out to people who would like to share a house. Rent the rooms out? My neighbors are already making comments and I am scared. Please help me with advice.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
    If it's zoned as a multi-family, you should be fine. I'd call the zoning office and start there. I don't know about where you live, but where I live it's next thing to impossible to get zoning changed on an existing property.

Did you purchase it through an agent? I'd contact them and get them involved. If an agent listed in incorrectly I would think they'd have some liability. Maybe it just falls under "buyer beware", but it's at least worth checking into.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Yes, not tax records, but zoning records shows what it is.
    whyme33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, not tax records, but zoning records shows what it is.
    Zoning records said 1 family. How do I change that? I can't afford to stay here without income. I can't live thinking I might be reported?

Thanks for your time and excellent answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal action against a roommate who refuses to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Mira Loma, Ca and my roommate is becoming unbearable to live with. She recently became pregnant and now that she needs to save money she is setting new rules such as (not running the air, and never using the lights),without abiding by them. As a result of this I want out of my lease. ...

Is it legal to rent prior to a foreclosure? [ 2 Answers ]

This is possibly the strangest question I will ever ask but I really need advice. Due to some family issue we let our home in jan. and have not make any mortgage pmts since then. Up to this point we have yet to be served with papers for foreclosure. Today a friend who knows our whole situation...

Owner of the House Lost House While We're Still Paying Him Rent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently going through a somewhat messy situation.. My husband and I moved into this house in Victorville about 2 and a half years ago. The house was perfect and the rent was suitable and our 5 kids loved the neighborhood and their new schools. Well about three weeks ago this man had came over...

Ways to prevent insects from coming into my house [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am so afraid of any kind of insect especially cockroaches and I want to act before I have a problem with it. What do you suggest I do to prevent the insects from even approaching my house? If this happens, how do I minimize the problem? Thanks Elpida

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

View more questions Search