Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willarrington Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Sink disposal draining into dish washer
    Our dish washer is hooked up to drain into our disposal. My wife does not always turn the disposal on when she is washing dishes. I was wondering if the disposal is getting plugged and draining backward into the dish washer. Is there a 1 way valve which could prevent this.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Yes, it is called an air gap, shown below. Also there is the "high loop" also shown below. Some plumbers prefer the high loop. The air gap is required by some municipalities.
    Attached Images

Sep 2, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Could that go bad. Is it possible for that to leak. THat is the valve that we have.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Yes, the air gap and its hose can get clogged. If the air gap gets clogged the dishwasher won't drain. Remove the hose between the air gap and the disposal, make sure it is clear. Check the port of the disposal also. Pull the chrome off the air gap. Unscrew the domed top cap of the air gap. Use a wire coat hanger down the center pipe to make sure it is also clear.

Sep 3, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite dish washer modell 665 not draining [ 7 Answers ]

The dishwasher is not draining even after I pressed the drain button. Is there a way to look for blockage before I call someone. Thank you

Installed new garbage disposal now water draining from sink vent [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not sure what I did wrong but after installing a new garbage disposal I have water draining from the sink vent when the dishwasher drains. This was my first time doing this but the sink vent was not draining water with the old disposal so I know I did something wrong, just need some help...

Basement Sink/Washer Draining? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to finish my basement into a living room and extra bedroom. Currently I have a laundry area that needs to be moved. Right now, the washing machine and sink drain into an open floor drain. The floor drain is near the center of the basment and will not be accessible after the basement is...

Dish washer not draining [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Our Kenmore Ultra wash quietguard1 is not draining. I have tried going through the whole cycle one click at a time to see where the drain syscle is with no luck. I checked around the bottom but cannot tell if there is some kind of blockage. Any help out there. Please. Thanks, Sandi

Garbage disposal or dish washer [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure which appliance is the problem. When I run the garbage disposal the water seems to back up into the dish washer. Not all the water but it does cover the bottom of the dish washer. Does any one know what the problem is. Blurino

View more questions Search