Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubealube Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Wire 220 stove
    I'm replacing the original electric stove that was installed in 1948, its hardwired from the house.

When Lowe's delivered the new stove today and discovered this they said they could not install the stove because the way the old stove was connected. They suggested I contact an electrician and have them install it.

I called around and was blown away at several $400-$575 estimates to install this new stove. I only paid $499 for the new stove. They tell me I need a 220 plug installed, surely it can't be that difficult since the wires are already there... right?
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2008, 06:16 PM
    I will need to ask you a couple of questions in order to help you install your new stove.

What is the amperage your new stove requires?
    What size and type wire currently feeds your old stove, (see if you can find any markings on the wire i.e. 8/3, 8/2, 6/3, or 6,2), the wire size and # of conductors will determine if it can be used to feed your new stove.
    What size, and type circuit currently breaker controls your existing stove?
    Who is the manufacturer of your circuit breaker panel?

With these questions answered I will be able to help you install your new stove. The prices that you were quoted are typical for the installation of a new direct line for an outlet behind your new stove, and to install the necessary cord on your new stove.
    Let me know if you have any problems finding the answers to the questions I have asked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Four Wire to Three wire for stove [ 12 Answers ]

Hi. I had a four wire circuit from a dryer that I needed to convert to a NEMA 10-50R for my new Whirlpool electric range. I wired the new receptacle with two hots a and GROUND and capped off the neutral. I tested from the hots to the ground and I get 120V. From hot to hot I get 240 Volts. The...

Wire for electrical stove [ 10 Answers ]

Hello can you tell me what size # wire I need for a 220 that an electrical stove will run off? The breaker is a double 50. I think that the wire that is there now is too small for the breaker. I think that when more than one burner is in use they don't work properly. One will cool down while the...

3 wire connection to a new stove [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to connect a new stove with a 3 wire connection. It's a tappan and the burners come on but the indicator lights do not, nor does the clock. I believe I followed all the directions, but maybe not? Any hints.

Vintage stove- 3 wire 220v, what size wire? [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a vintage Crosley range. The old wire was a 3-wire 220v, connected to terminals in the back- the black and red wires were actually 6 or so copper strands, and the white was a silver metal. My question is, what amperage do you think I need? Will 10 be enough? Thanks for your...

View more questions Search