Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macalgal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Leaking shower drain on slab foundation
    Background: Our 25 year old, rarely used, tile shower is located on the first floor of our SoCal home. There is no basement. When the shower is used the water flows into the attached garage (shared wall). There is rust around the pipe under the drain and two holes in the pipe just above where it seems to attach to a rubber gasket/flange which then goes into a black plastic pipe. One of the holes seems machine cut (? For air exchange) the smaller hole I believe is corrosion. From my testing the leaking doesn't happen when I have poured large volumes of water into the pipe through a funnel thereby bypassing that corroded area.

How can this be corrected? I see that the Wingtite Shower Drain replacement kit is for fiberglass showers. Two plumber have talked about tearing up the entire shower and we need to avoid that large expense if at all possible.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 3, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Is there any accses to get under the shower?By tile shower do you mean it's a home made shower floor that has the drain just cemented in ? Im trying to get a visual on this but need more details if I can help, Bob or Tom are you guys around, this looks like something you gentelmen can help with also.There must be some sort of acces to the plumbing to fix this problem, unless like I was thinking it was a home made desine(sp).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Pete got you started with some good questions. Chances are pretty good than shower pan must come out if its on a slab and you have a mudd pan. Tell us more about the pan/floor, what's it made from. There should be no holes in that pipe, I'm guessing it's a 2" black pipe, maybe galvanized and the finish is gone. When Pete said home made design shower he is describing a custom mudd pan build on the slab and then covered with ceramic tile, that what you have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a shower to half bath on main floor (slab foundation) [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting quotes to convert our attached 2 car garage to a living area for my recently widowed mother; this would give her a bedroom/sitting room and storage - the attached wall follows down my interior hallway and I've asked the home improvement guy to quote me a door at the end of hall to new...

Drain pipes for under slab foundation [ 3 Answers ]

I know this question was partially answered already,but I would like to ask again as this will be new construction.As I plan my main drain under slab at 1/4" per foot is only one vent stack allowed coming off the drain or could there be another?Also I would like to know if pvc 40 and pex tubing is...

How to find shower leak on slab foundation [ 19 Answers ]

I have a leak from my shower. The water appears to seep from wall at baseboards into bedroom closet. How can I find and repair? Home built in 1996. Is that type of shower/tub built on a base of 2x4's or is it set right on the slab foundation. I am thinking I could cut access hole in closet wall to...

Tub Overflow drain on a Slab Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am currently in the process of remodeling a bathroom in a cottage set on a slab foundation. I discovered that by removing the standup shower and the waterheater that was next to it, I have enough room for a tub. The problem is that the main drain for the shower is not on the same...

Leaking drain pipe in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know...

View more questions Search