Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MANDMO 91 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2008, 01:33 PM
    determine if the relation is a function
    I am doing some functions review but I forget how to determin if it is a relation when given an equation
    help me please!!

y=-3x +5

y=square root of (3x - 1)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Don't quite understand what you want here...
    l_byl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
    the relation is a function if when graphed it passes the vertical line test aka no two points have the same x value
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
    An equation represents a function if for any in the function's domain there is preciely one value of that emerges. If there is more than 1 possible value of for any , then the equation is not a function.

Example: consider the equation . The domain for is . For any , there is only one value of that comes out of the equation. For example y(2) = 4, y(-10) = -20, etc. Therefore is a function.

Another example: consider . Here is in the domain . For equals zero there is one value of : zero. But for any positive there are two values of , since the square root of a positive number number is either plus or minus. For example, . Hence is not a function.

Hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 03:46 AM
    You mean that functions are the equations having an inverse, that is, are one one? Ok, but I thought that all equations could be represented as functions, but some of which had inverse, and others don't. K, thanks for the specification ebaines.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008
    You mean that functions are the equations having an inverse, that is, are one one? .
    Not quite. Consider the equation f(x)= sin(x). This is defintely a fuction since for any value of x there is precisely one value of f(x). Its inverse is g(x) = arcsin(x), which is not a function, as for any value of x there are an infinite number of values for g(x), for example arcsin(0) = 0, pi, 2*pi, 3*pi, etc.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Oh, OK, thanks then, your really a help ebaines. Btw, my school is ebene, having the same pronunciation as your username, tee hee!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relation [ 12 Answers ]

Hi my wife don't listen to me and disobey me

Dead relation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,it is that I got married about 12 years from now, I am 33 now , and at such young age I did not realise that the partner I selected is very conservative and has a very different mental aptitutde than me.I have never been very happy with him since last 12 years due to his parents issues or family...

What kind of relation it is ? [ 17 Answers ]

Well the story starts here. I am confused , I am trapped. Please help

Relation ships [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend got another chick pregnant she's due n sept I'm having sex wit him using tha pulling out methode r my chances high 2 get pregnant 2

Mathematical relation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Iam trying to find the gain in dBi , given the following relation; For a I)4.8m Dish the gain is 44dBi ii) 2.4m dish it's 38dBi iii) 1.2m the gain is 32dBi What is the gain on a 3.7m and a 4.6 m dish? What mathematical relation can be deployed in this scenario? Thanks in...

View more questions Search