Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peblz03 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Pot use
    I have a question about drug testing pregnant women for pot.I am 24 week pregnant and have been around pot smoke. I also used once for Nausea . I was looking online after the fact and saw that they drug test pregnant women and there babies once born but could not find many specfics on it. I need to know if I make sure to stay away from any kind of smoke for the rest of my pregnancy will I be OK or can I get in trouble for it now. I don't want my children taken away. I am not a smoker nor do I drink or party. I am very scared now and need to know what is going o. Can you please help me?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Second hand smoke is just as dangerous as smoking yourself. Yes, we do test regularly for drug usage at the labor and delivery department I work for. If you test positive for pot, we don't take the baby. That is reserved for harsher drugs.

Now, I can't attest that this does not happen, but at least not in my state.

Sep 1, 2008, 05:51 PM
    So as long as I stay away from now on I'm am just starting my 6th month I will be OK. I live in Texas and I couldn't get a strait answer I know the lawys are different in each state.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Just stay away from it and you'll be fine. Remember to keep that baby away from it too, once it's born.

Sep 2, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Thank you I was really stressing about it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by peblz03
    i have a question about drug testing pregnant women for pot.I am 24 week pregnant and have been around pot smoke. I also used once for Nausea . I was looking online after the fact and saw that they drug test pregnant women and there babies once born but could not find many specfics on it. I need to know if i make sure to stay away from any kind of smoke for the rest of my pregnancy will i be ok or can i get in trouble for it now. I dont want my children taken away. I am not a smoker nor do i drink or party. I am very scared now and need to know what is going o. Can you please help me?

There is case law in Texas - and here is the newspaper article. I have no idea if it's ever actually enforced or if this was just the test case - it was not overturned on appeal.

"A judge last week sentenced a mother on felony charges of "delivering marijuana to a minor" after she admitted that she had occasionally smoked marijuana to combat symptoms associated with morning sickness. The mother is the first woman to be prosecuted under the law for smoking pot while pregnant, according to a news report in the Amarillo-Globe News.

The defendant, xx, had given birth to twins, both of whom tested positive for the presence of marijuana after they were born.

Delivery of a controlled substance to a minor is a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison. xx was sentenced Friday to five years of deferred adjudication and ordered to pay a $1,000 fine. She could be ordered to serve the full jail term if she does not complete community supervision, the Amarillo-Globe News reported."
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Hello, Judy:

I thought the Twighlight Zone was off the air... But, NO!

WAKE UP AMERICA!!

excon
    CHRISTOPHEROBIN Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 2, 2008, 08:37 AM
    i have a question about drug testing pregnant women for pot.I am 24 week pregnant and have been around pot smoke. I also used once for Nausea . I was looking online after the fact and saw that they drug test pregnant women and there babies once born but could not find many specfics on it. I need to know if i make sure to stay away from any kind of smoke for the rest of my pregnancy will i be ok or can i get in trouble for it now. I dont want my children taken away. I am not a smoker nor do i drink or party. I am very scared now and need to know what is going o. Can you please help me?
    My wife and I had attended a party on the fourth of July this year and there was a room full of pot smokers.We were in South Carolina at the time, visiting.She was having bad pains and went to the hospital there and they found thc in her system.They sent out social services the next day to were I was visiting and threatened to remove our children from our custody.We had come back to Maryland where we live and had the baby.They also found thc in her system from second hand smoke.They had immediately put her in drug classes.In South Carolina they have prosecuted over 80 women for thc being in their system since 1989.They have removed the children and became part of someone else's family.South Carolina is the only state that doesn't give you a chance to correct a mistake.Women have done hard time there for having thc in their system in South Carolina.I haven't heard of anything like this in any other state.Just stay away from pot and pot smokers and you shouldn't have any problems.My wife and I learned the hard way that you don't have to smoke it to get enough thc in your system. Contact highs are just as bad in their eyes.

Sep 2, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHEROBIN
    My wife and i had attended a party on the fourth of July this year and there was a room full of pot smokers.We were in South Carolina at the time, visiting.She was having bad pains and went to the hospital there and they found thc in her system.They sent out social services the next day to were i was visiting and threatened to remove our children from our custody.We had come back to Maryland where we live and had the baby.They also found thc in her system from second hand smoke.They had immediately put her in drug classes.In South Carolina they have prosecuted over 80 women for thc being in their system since 1989.They have removed the children and became part of someone elses family.South Carolina is the only state that doesnt give you a chance to correct a mistake.Women have done hard time there for having thc in their system in South Carolina.I havent heard of anything like this in any other state.Just stay away from pot and pot smokers and you shouldnt have any problems.My wife and i learned the hard way that you dont have to smoke it to get enough thc in your system. Contact highs are just as bad in their eyes.
    If thc is found in the newborn baby's system that is when it gets ugly.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 08:43 AM
    I wonder why you are so focused on what will happen as far as removing the baby. What about your babies health. I hope you are concerend.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Hello again,

Marijuana use is not shown to be harmful... However, taking children away from a mother is EXTREMELY harmful.

Instead of keeping away from pot smokers, call your congressmen and tell him to support Barney Franks bill which would decriminalize the personal use of marijuana.

Some day, we're going to stop doing this to pot smokers, and we'll look back upon our drug wars as our dark ages.

excon

Sep 2, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again,

Marijuana use is not shown to be harmful.... However, taking children away from a mother is EXTREMELY harmful.

Instead of keeping away from pot smokers, call your congressmen and tell him to support Barney Franks bill which would decriminalize the personal use of marijuana.

Some day, we're going to stop doing this to pot smokers, and we'll look back upon our drug wars as our dark ages.

excon
    I agree! A child belongs with their mother.We can't move to South Carolina like we were planning to.We were looking at houses to rent tor buy.Social services told us if we do anything other than visit there they will take legal action.

Sep 2, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I have read about what smoking pot does to a unborn baby. I can find thoses answers on my own. I don't smoke pot I was just around it. If I wasn't worried about it I would even bother asking any questions at all.

Sep 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
    I will bw satying away from it from now on it was a hoiliday so there was lots of people around and I won't put myself in that situation again. I just need to now if everything was goingt to be OK if I stay clear from now on. I still have 4 months to go before I give birth.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 11:12 AM
    I will bw satying away from it from now on it was a hoiliday so there was lots of people around and i wont put myself in that situation again. I just need to now if everything was goingt to be ok if i stay clear from now on. I still have 4 months to go befor i give birth.

I posted the law, which you asked about. J9 is a registered nurse, and she posted the medical info concerning the other half of your question - if you stay away from it, you'll be fine.

Sep 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Should I mention it to my dr or nurse. I know they take a urin sample each time I have gone in but don't know what it is for. I 23 and reay didn't think about just being around it being that bad until now. There has been at least onnce a month I was around it. And like I said I just didn't realize just being around it would affect me this way. I am goig for a check up tomorrow so should I say something?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
    so should i say somthing?
    Hello again, peblz:

NO!! Do NOT snitch on yourself. You have no idea WHO these people are.

Being around pot smokers will NOT give you a positive test.

excon

Sep 3, 2008, 06:14 AM
    I am kind of worried bacuause I was right next to a smoker in a crowded smoky room and I noticed that they take a urine test evey time I go in for a check up.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Hello again, p:

Here's a video I think you might find interesting.. Do you know Rick Steves, the travel fellow on public TV? Go see what he has to say.

Marijuana | It's time for a conversation » Interviews

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search