Ask
    Maciek Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Wire for sub-panel
    I want to install a sub panel in my shed
    The wire will probably run around 150'
    And I will have heating and air unit in the wall that needs a 230v line
    Plus 6 receptacles that were already installed there on a single line

So I'm wondering what kind of a cable do I run to the sub panel?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 05:33 AM
    First, you need to get the Amperage ratings for both the heating and AC.

Once you have an approximate amperage, you can determine your total load. There will be a voltage drop consideration because of the 150 ft. run of cable.

Also, are you planning on 15 or 20 Amp outlets? I would suggest 20 amp. Pleaseinclude lighting, inside and out.

You should be using GFCI protected outlets.

Sep 2, 2008, 06:27 PM
    The unit requires 30 amp circuit and the outlets are going to be 20
    Though I just though of it and there is going to be a 1/2 bath and single sink kitchenette (sp?) in there too so I know I need a separate 20 for that plus two regular fans
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2008, 07:50 PM
    A KITCHENETTE IN YOUR SHED! This is starting to sound like a cabana house...
    Well based on the combination Heat/AC, the counter outlets, lights, and what every good kitchenette needs, a refrigerator, you will need a minimum of a 60A line to your "shed".
    As far as what Don mentioned about voltage drop, if you use #6 copper, at 240V, with a 150' run you will get an allowable 5% voltage drop, and there is no need to increase wire size for a 60A, 240V circuit.
    If you plan on burying a conduit to this shed I would recamend at least a 1 1/2" PVC conduit, also don't forget your minimum required ground size will be #8.
    Let me know how you make out, or if you need any additional help.

Sep 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Well the kitchenette is an additional option that might/might not be there I just want to future proof it, plus the shed will act as an office

So I can run #6-3 with ground to the sub panel with a 60A breaker and it will be enough?

I also have another question, there is already a sub panel box in another part of a house
    It has three 30A breakers in it, they are for a heat and a/c unit, water heater, and a clothes dryer. I believe that the cable that runs from the main box is 10/3 w/o ground (I believe, it might be #8 but I'm not sure I'll check tomorrow) with a 50A breaker on it,
    Will that be enough to run all of those things or do I have to go up in wire size?

Sep 4, 2008, 04:22 PM
    I checked it out and it is a 10/3 wire, so I guess I have to change it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Wire size for a sub-panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 100 AMP main Service panel in my residence and plan on doing some kitchen remodeling. What size breaker would normally be used in a 100 AMP Panel to feed a sub-panel. Additionally, what size wire would feed the sub-panel from this breaker. I am think a 50 AMP breaker and # 8 wire to...

That intersting--60 amp sub-panel #4 or #6 wire. [ 21 Answers ]

I am getting mixed messages from different licenced electricians. Run length 100ft. 60 amp sub-panel in 1" conduit. Wire size according to NEC?? 2 electricians have stated #6 1 electrician has stated #4 I have also verbally talked with another electrician that said you have to rate the wire...

Sub panel wire [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently building a new home with 200amp service. I have requested the builder to supply 100 amp service to the rear of the home for my detached workshop. My question is a alumaflex type se cable 600 volt awg2-1 cdr awg4 the right cable? I have been told this is only rated at 65 amps? Thanks

Wire needed for a 100 amp sub panel? [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a 125 Amp Sub panel in a detached shed approximately 100' from the house. The subpanel has a 100 amp main breaker in it and I have a 100 amp breaker that will go in the main house panel to feed it. I will be using #4 copper THHN for my 2 hot conductors and neutral conductor and a #6...

View more questions Search