Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iwant2help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 07:24 PM
    I want to understand
    When someone is trying to recover cold turkey right now, while waiting for a program, it's been a week since he last used drugs and alcohol. What kind of behavior will he have? He says that I let him use. But that's not true. Now he wants to be away from me. Is this normal behavior? If so what else can I aspect from him?
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Sep 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Irrational behavior is normal. Lashing out is normal, looking for someone else to blame is all very normal. Addicts going into recovery will struggle with mood swings all day long and they will try to pin those moods swings on other people. In truth it isn't the other people that are acting differently, it is the addict that is changing.

Be verbally supportive and be sensitive to when he needs space. Make boundaries that you both agree on to help keep the recovery on the right track.
    paradoxlie Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Sep 6, 2008, 08:31 PM
    He was most likely using when you both met... now he is sober and is seeing you for the first time. Don't try and fix that. Let it go... hard answer.. I know.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Erratic behavior and accusing everything under the sun is normal recovery behavior. He's not used to reality and this is quite apparent by what you have described. Just remember, his brain has been lulled for years by drugs (and probably a few billion brain cells killed in the meantime) so don't expect a very rational human being for quite sometime. Try to relate to you being on an all night drinking binge and trying to be coherent the next day. It's pretty close to that sort of mind fog that he's having right now. The less argumentative you are the better. He probably doesn't remember much either from one day to the next right now either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to understand her [ 12 Answers ]

Hi guys/gals, I´m a 30 y/o male, European (if that matters) and this is my first time around. Anyway, to the point: I´ve been working in this same place for almost 5 years now. When I first got there, there was a young woman (she´s 28 now) that caught my attention. Soon, I discovered that she...

I don't understand him! Or me! [ 3 Answers ]

Since he's a shy guy it's quiet hard to understand him. 1. we aren't that close, because we don't talk much even if we do it's mostly me starting the conversation!. and I'm fed up about it! 2. he barely comes to my class to chat up with me or anything! 3. we rarely hang out after skul, because...

Trying to understand you.S. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm reading on CNN about Obama versus Clinton campaign fights. I'm trying to be more involved in U.S. politics but I'm going to honestly say that I've never been an active political player. I'm wondering if you guys could point me to a reliable website that would explain to me...

Trying to understand her. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been on and off with this girl for a couple months now. Before we met she broke up with a boyfriend and seems to still have some baggage from that. I have not been with her sexually in a couple of weeks because she made it clear that she wasn't ready to jump into a serious relationship yet...

View more questions Search